No announcement yet.

So what are you listening to now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WQXR is running a classical countdown today, at http://www.wqxr.com for those of you not in the New York listening area. Needless to say, our own immortal beloved snagged most of the top spots.

By Beethoven: (all times Eastern Standard Time). Times are not completely accurate, they often slip by 5-10 minutes.

Symphony No. 3 at 11:35 am
    Concerto for Violin at 4:55 pm
    Symphony No. 6 at 5:42 pm
    Concerto for Piano No. 5 at 6:58 pm
    Symphony No. 7 at 7:38 pm
    Symphony No. 5 at 8:16 pm
    and of course
    Symphony No. 9 at 9:29 pm

Dvorak slipped in at the number 2 slot, at 8:48 pm with New World Symphony, which I think owes a lot to Beethoven's Ninth.

------------------
    To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
    susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.
    To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
    susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

Comment

The Symphony in E by Hans Rott. This work, finished 8 years (1880) before the appearance of Mahler's 1st symphony, is surely one of the greatest of the 19th century despite Rott dying in complete obscurity. It is just simply one of those works that you 'MUST' hear.

It seems that Rott and Mahler were friends at the Vienna Conservatory (under Bruckner). In later years Gustav Mahler gives him tremendous credit. But by that time Rott was mentally ill and did not live to write any other.

Also, I'm discovering the great works of Busoni which are so full of light and life.

Robert

Comment

Just found this site after yet another Google search on my Beloved Ludwig. I try to talk to people i know about my obsession with his music, but they just roll their eyes.....

I really began to get into Ludwig's compositions around the first part of August past. I was raised on classical music and Fur Elise is the only piece i ever actually committed to memory on the piano, but for some reason this genius was not particularly one of my mother's favorites. But i'm hooked. My current favorite is his Piano Concerto No. 4 in G major, particularly the third movement. OMG, this music knocks my socks off.

I used to listen to pop radio, but now i'm so spoiled it just sounds like so much cacophony.

One thing i really love about Ludwig's music is that it often contains the unexpected. I'll be listening along and a piece will swell to what appears to be the finis, only to go off on some even more exquisite tangent. At the end of the piece i can only say, 'that was perfect. Thank you.'

What a genius.

-Marcy
        - and those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music ~Nietzsche

Comment

Marcy, glad to hear you're enjoying Beethoven's music so much. Keep it up, there's a wonderful world just waiting to explore of Beethoven's fabulous music.

As for me today classical radio will be playing Beethoven's Octet, Opus 103. Emperor Franz Joseph II and his brother Maximilian, Elector of Cologne, had competing wind bands. Beethoven wrote his Octet for one of them -- (anyone know which one?) and Max's band is the one that got to perform it. The Harmonie Octet of Russia will play this early work by Beethoven.

------------------
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Hi Joy,

Thanks for the nice response. I felt a bit of a rube after reading many of the discussion threads here because people seem so much more erudite concerning the Masters, including Ludwig, and yet i love this music so much i decided to jump in anyway. So i really appreciate your kind encouragement.

My daughter was still trying to figure out what to get Mom for Christmas, and so i just placed my rather late order for Beethoven: The Late String Quartets by the Lindsay String Quartet as it appeared to be favored by many reviewers. Can't wait.

Marcy

------------------
            - and those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music ~Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by mps1600:
              Hi Joy,

Thanks for the nice response. I felt a bit of a rube after reading many of the discussion threads here because people seem so much more erudite concerning the Masters, including Ludwig, and yet i love this music so much i decided to jump in anyway. So i really appreciate your kind encouragement.

My daughter was still trying to figure out what to get Mom for Christmas, and so i just placed my rather late order for Beethoven: The Late String Quartets by the Lindsay String Quartet as it appeared to be favored by many reviewers. Can't wait.

Marcy

Hi! I have the complete Beethoven String Quartets by The Alexander String Quartet. Very good indeed, however, your choice is very good too and I hope you enjoy them. Let us know how you like them.

------------------

Comment

Hi Joy,

Marcy

If you find you like his quartets enough to pick up a complete set sometime, I would highly recommend checking out at least samples, or even complete works if possible, of the Vegh Quartet's recordings from the mid 70's. If you like the feel of them even more than technical perfection, as I do, than you might really enjoy them. I have this set and find it amazingly intimate sounding, which for me is the most striking aspect of chamber music anyway.

Comment

Haydn's symphonies from the 1770s!

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Playing today Mendelssohn's Octet. Scholars have speculated that Mendelssohn's Octet, written when he was 16, was a musical depiction of Goethe's story of Faust. It's not a far-fetched idea, because Mendelssohn was good friends with Goethe during his teen years; the admiration between the two was mutual. This particular recording is by The Academy of St. Martin in the Fields Chamber Ensemble, led by Kenneth Sillito, and

For all you Alfred Brendel fans out there (and I know there are quite a few on this forum) the Austrian pianist turns 75 years old today. They'll be an interview with him tonight on NPR radio and he will discuss why he likes to revisit some of the classics, and hear him play the finale from Franz Schubert's Piano Sonata in A minor.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                      Haydn's symphonies from the 1770s!

Which ones in particular Peter? My particular favorites seem to be some of his lastest symphonies (although I do like some of his earlier works as well) like Symphony #104 - "The London Symphonies"; Symphony #94 - "The Surprise". Lots of nicknames for his symphonies, where did they all come from I wonder?

Haydn once wrote: "Since God has given me a cheerful heart, He will forgive me for serving him cheerfully". That seems to sum up his direct, good natured, un-neurotic view toward life and art.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Brithooven:
                        If you find you like his quartets enough to pick up a complete set sometime, I would highly recommend checking out at least samples, or even complete works if possible, of the Vegh Quartet's recordings from the mid 70's. If you like the feel of them even more than technical perfection, as I do, than you might really enjoy them. I have this set and find it amazingly intimate sounding, which for me is the most striking aspect of chamber music anyway.

Thanks for the additional suggestion. I'm more touched by the energy and interpretation of the piece by the performers than by technical perfection, so this sounds like something i will definitely check out in time. For now i'm like a kid in a candy store - i want them ALL and i want them all right NOW.....lol

I'm a massage therapist and have been toying with the idea of playing Beethoven instead of the typical kind of relaxation music we usually play during massages, but i wasn't sure where to start. So i began with my 30% off coupon to Border's Bookstore and ended up with "Beethoven Adagios" by various artists including the Beaux Arts Trio and Itzhak Perlman. It promises to be just what i was looking for.

And of course they gave me even more coupons as i was checking out....

Marcy

------------------

Comment

I'm a massage therapist and have been toying with the idea of playing Beethoven instead of the typical kind of relaxation music we usually play during massages, but i wasn't sure where to start. So i began with my 30% off coupon to Border's Bookstore and ended up with "Beethoven Adagios" by various artists including the Beaux Arts Trio and Itzhak Perlman. It promises to be just what i was looking for.

Marcy

Hi Marcy, I'm a chiropractic assistant and we play classical music in our office. Nothing to forceful or powerful of course, adagios are good as you mentioned. The patients seem to love it as does the staff. It's a relaxing and pleasant atmosphere to work in.

Comment

Every Friday on NPR radio they discuss Mozart's music and life in anticipation of his 250th birthday coming up soon. Today it will be about the women in his life. His mother, Marie Anne; sister Nannerl; and wife Constance. They will be playing his Symphony #31 and Sonata in B flat Major K358.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                              Hi Marcy, I'm a chiropractic assistant and we play classical music in our office. Nothing to forceful or powerful of course, adagios are good as you mentioned. The patients seem to love it as does the staff. It's a relaxing and pleasant atmosphere to work in.

This is great, Joy! Or great joy, whichever you please. It's always nice to connect with another alternative health care practitioner. I actually played the second disc from the 2-cd set last night for my first massage client. Several of the cuts seemed a bit intense (for instance the Marcia funebre: Adagio assai from Eroica) and i was a little concerned that my client would not be comfortable, but her response to her experience in general was very good and so i was quite pleased.

Marcy

------------------

Comment

Thanks for the additional suggestion. I'm more touched by the energy and interpretation of the piece by the performers than by technical perfection, so this sounds like something i will definitely check out in time. For now i'm like a kid in a candy store - i want them ALL and i want them all right NOW.....lol

Marcy

[/B][/QUOTE]

For beautifully flowing works, Vivaldi's concertos, especially his many works for violin, are very consistant. His 'Dresdens', 'La Cetra', 'L'estro Arminoco', and 'La Stravaganza' to name a few are excellent. Some of his concertos for other instruments don't necessarily flow as smoothly. I don't know if that's the sound you're looking for, but if it seems interesting you might enjoy investigate Antonio V.

To the forum topic. I'm listening to Telemann's incredible 'Paris Quartets' for flute, violin, cello' and harpsicord. They're miniature masterworks, with a lot of incredible interplay of the instruments and exquisite counterpoint. They're very creative and extremely beautiful. They are certainly overlooked gems!

Comment

Working...
                                X