So what are you listening to now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sorrano:
    I was able to finish the Mahler this evening. Very enjoyable and moving. I noted that it took over half a minute for the applause to begin.
    Yes that last movement is wonderful - Without checking my notes I think he uses the farewell motive from Beethoven's Les Adieux (with his conviction that 9 symphonies was your lot!) and the closing bars create an amazing sense of timelessness.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Tony_in_London:
      A stunning recording from 1935 courtesy of NAXOS of the Maestro’s Eroica Variations played by Artur Schnabel Earlier it was a simply awesome recording from 1926 by Vladimir Horowitz of Liszt's variations on themes from the Magic Flute which I had never heard before and is a digitally remastered wonder Recorded almost eighty years ago and as clear as a bell

I must admit that I am very pleased to be back again after some months away in the cyber wilderness with a defunct computer

Hey Judith babe!! Work tomorrow Glad you enjoyed the Bach Cello Suites (Pablo Casals) Keep thinking free !! Talk soon

More Bach tonight - a delightful recording of the six Flute Sonatas played by William Bennett and accompanied by George Malcolm on harpsichord. A bargain buy and just the thing to soothe one during a day spent fighting the Philistines TJ ! If you can't find it in your WH Smith give me a yell and I'll get you a copy from mine. its on Resonance - a Sanctuary Classics label same as the Lindsays LVB String Qusrtets. How did you enjoy that BTW ?

------------------
      Beethoven the Man!
      Beethoven the Man!

Comment

I am currently exploring some Brahms, who is quite new to me. At the moment, I am focusing on the violin concerto (with a great theme for the final movement) and the second symphony.

"It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Steppenwolf:
          I am currently exploring some Brahms, who is quite new to me. At the moment, I am focusing on the violin concerto (with a great theme for the final movement) and the second symphony.

The second is my favorite of the four symphonies. This morning I caught what I think was the first movement of the final symphony (I was not awake enough to get it), also another very fine work.

Comment

My publishing partner finally was able to copy an LP recording of Joachim Eggert's Eb Symphony to a CD. OUTSTANDING!! A reminder for those not familiar with the Swedish composer Eggert, this symphony premiered 14 May 1807 in Stockholm and features a full trombone section, predating Beethoven's 5th Symphony by 18 months.

Hofrat
            "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

On NPR today The Munich Symphony Orchestra and conductor Philippe Entremont performed in Worcester last week to play the Egmont Overture by Beethoven.

------------------
              'Truth and beauty joined'
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

right now I am listening to beethoven seventh symphony and a mix of other kinds of music.

------------------

Comment

I am listening to Scriabin preludes (Evgeny Zarafiants - piano). Very melodic and slightly moody. Soundbite style
                  reminds me of Greig's beautiful piano works,lyric pieces primarily. I also recently picked up the complete piano works of Mily Balakirev (Alexander Paley - piano). Very nice. Nothing profound, but very melodic and enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

I've been listening to a live recording by Claudio Abbado (sorry if I spelled that wrong!).
                    I'm listening to Charles Rosen's recording of the Hammerkalvier......it's fanstastic listening to it after reading his brilliant analysis of the piece in print. So good to hear him playing with an ear to his harmonic analysis.....he just seems to make since of this difficult peace as it plays it.

Comment

Piano music by Pinto... this music makes me wonder whether it really serves a goal to record everything ever written.

Comment

Tonight it's the first two movements of the Gunther Wand performance of the Bruckner 8th. Great music! Too bad I don't have time for it all at once.

Comment

Listening to some Beethoven right now, the final movement from Symphony No. 6, I know it's pretty common, but oh well.

That brings up an interesting point...do the individuals who are VERY into symphonic music tend not to listen to the more common pieces very much? I know that I still love to listen to them: I always say that they are popular for a good reason.

Comment

>That brings up an interesting point...do the individuals who are VERY into symphonic music tend not to listen to the more common >pieces very much? I know that I still love to listen to them: I always say that they >are popular for a good reason.

I think the old warhorses remain popular for the original good reasons, but they can become trite when everyone performs them the way they've always been performed. When a conductor goes back to the original score and considers it as it was originally considered, one note at a time, seeing every phrase with fresh eyes, he can find new meaning and new life even in pieces that have been "played to death." Consider how the tempo of Beethoven's Fifth has changed over the past decade!

------------------
                            Fate banging on the door with a jackhammer
                            To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
                            susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

Comment

I am now listening to symphonies of Carl Nielson. I picked up the complete works and can't make it past the 1st cd with no's 1&2 on it. I've listened to it at least 5 times now. I had no idea they are that good! They remind me somewhat of Brahm's and Dvorak's beauties. Very enjoyable! Definitely worth a listen.

Comment

I am now listening to symphonies of Carl Nielson. I picked up the complete works and can't make it past the 1st cd with no's 1&2 on it. I've listened to it at least 5 times now. I had no idea they are that good! They remind me somewhat of Brahm's and Dvorak's beauties. Very enjoyable! Definitely worth a listen.

Comment

Working...
                                X