Clear All

Grosse Fuge - QI - nuff said....

------------------
    Beethoven the Man!
    Beethoven the Man!

Comment

...in the version for piano four hands!

Comment

Great minds eh Raro! tonight however its Albinoni the op 9 Concerti played by Christopher Hogwood and the AAM - ah to be back in Venice... However in a month or so I'll be taking a trip to Istanbul for my birthday - any suggestions for music to get me in the mood for all my Byzantine culture vulturing? I will of course listen to Der Entfuhrung aus dem Seraglio before setting foot anywhere near the Topkapi palace!

------------------
        Beethoven the Man!

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 10-17-2005).]
        Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Originally posted by JA Gardiner:
          Great minds eh Raro! tonight however its Albinoni the op 9 Concerti played by Christopher Hogwood and the AAM - ah to be back in Venice... However in a month or so I'll be taking a trip to Istanbul for my birthday - any suggestions for music to get me in the mood for all my Byzantine culture vulturing? i will of course listen to Der Entfuhrung aus dem Seraglio before setting foot anywhere neer the Topkapi palace!

An excerpt from the sleeve notes of Hyperion's 35th volume in its Romantic Piano Concerto series:

Herz followed this with his Piano Concerto No 2 in C minor, Op 74 (1834) which, Schumann wrote, ‘will be liked by those who liked the first. If, by chance, at a concert, a certain C minor symphony [he was alluding to Beethoven’s Fifth] should happen to be given with this, it is to be hoped that the symphony may be given after this concerto.’ Schumann continued the banter on the appearance of Herz’s Piano Concerto No 3 in D minor, Op 87 (1835), finding in its pages likenesses to passages from concertos by Moscheles, Chopin, Thalberg, Kalkbrenner and the scherzo from Beethoven’s Second Symphony. ‘We see that he is determined to learn from the best; and only condescends a little occasionally to heroes of the second rank like Thalberg and Kalkbrenner.’ There then followed the Concerto No 4 in E major, Op 131 (1843); No 5 in F minor, Op 180 (1854); and the weirdly wonderful Concerto No 6 for piano, orchestra and chorus in A major, Op 192 (1858), of which the part-choral final movement (Rondo oriental avec chœur) features a hymn to ‘the sons of the prophet’ and ‘O Mahomet divin’, ending, possibly for the first time in Western music, with the words ‘Gloire au prophète Allah!’. One languishes to hear it.

Comment

...and for me...

Busoni: Tanzwalzer for Orchestra, op.53

Comment

Getting a first hearing of Mahler's 9th. Unfortuantely, time limited me to the first two movements and I will get the other two next week. Interesting music....

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                Getting a first hearing of Mahler's 9th. Unfortuantely, time limited me to the first two movements and I will get the other two next week. Interesting music....
                The 4th movt adagio is wonderful, very moving.

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                  The 4th movt adagio is wonderful, very moving.

It really bites not to be able to take the time to listen to it all at once!!

Comment

It really bites not to be able to take the time to listen to it all at once!!
                    Well if its any consolation at least its not as long as some of his others! If you can't wait in the meantime I can recommend the recordings conducted by Bernstein and Sir John Barbirolli. I believe I'm right in thinking that the former also did a lecture on this symphony in his superb and illuminating Tv lecture series " The Unanswered Question" which you may be able to track down on video or DVD.

For me its more Albinoni. But Raro I'll lokk out for that piece you pointed me to too

------------------
                    Beethoven the Man!
                    Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Well if its any consolation at least its not as long as some of his others! If you can't wait in the meantime I can recommend the recordings conducted by Bernstein and Sir John Barbirolli. I believe I'm right in thinking that the former also did a lecture on this symphony in his superb and illuminating Tv lecture series " The Unanswered Question" which you may be able to track down on video or DVD.

For me its more Albinoni. But Raro I'll lokk out for that piece you pointed me to too

I've been listening to a live recording by Claudio Abbado (sorry if I spelled that wrong!).

Comment

I've been listening to a live recording by Claudio Abbado (sorry if I spelled that wrong!).
                        Another superb cycle Sorrano. It was Abbado doing a live performance of the 1st with the LSO that first introduced me to Mahler and made me a confirmed fan. I now treasure a little note I got from the maestro after I wrote to him saying what a tremendous experience it had been.

------------------
                        Beethoven the Man!

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 10-18-2005).]
                        Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Brahms: piano quartet no. 2 in A major, op.26 - version for piano four hands!

Comment

Hey i saw Gurn was back on one of the other threads! That's got to be worth a burst of the Ode to Joy - Zinman for preference.

------------------
                            Beethoven the Man!
                            Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Thought I'd jump in and start a new one as the old thread was getting a bit long. Just got back from the Proms - wonderful evening with Esa- Pekka Salonen and the Helsinki Philharmonic playing Debussy - La Mer, Ravel - Daphnis and Chloe suites, Sibelius - Luonnatar and a superb new piece by Mark - Anthony Turnage called From the Wreckage which has some amazing percussion effects. All that and 2 encores (more Ravel and Sibelius - though I didn't quite catch the names of the pieces and, shame on me, didn't recognise them). Fascinating as well to be sitting in the Choir behind the orchestra and hear it all back to front as it were, but with a great view not only of the orchestra and the maestro working but of the famous Promenade mosh-pit! Did anyone get to this?

A stunning recording from 1935 courtesy of NAXOS of the Maestro’s Eroica Variations played by Artur Schnabel Earlier it was a simply awesome recording from 1926 by Vladimir Horowitz of Liszt's variations on themes from the Magic Flute which I had never heard before and is a digitally remastered wonder Recorded almost eighty years ago and as clear as a bell

I must admit that I am very pleased to be back again after some months away in the cyber wilderness with a defunct computer

Hey Judith babe!! Work tomorrow Glad you enjoyed the Bach Cello Suites (Pablo Casals) Keep thinking free !! Talk soon

------------------
                              Love from London
                              Love from London

Comment

I was able to finish the Mahler this evening. Very enjoyable and moving. I noted that it took over half a minute for the applause to begin.

Comment

Working...
                                X