So what are you listening to now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what are you listening to now?

Thought I'd jump in and start a new one as the old thread was getting a bit long. Just got back from the Proms - wonderful evening with Esa- Pekka Salonen and the Helsinki Philharmonic playing Debussy - La Mer, Ravel - Daphnis and Chloe suites, Sibelius - Luonnatar and a superb new piece by Mark - Anthony Turnage called From the Wreckage which has some amazing percussion effects. All that and 2 encores (more Ravel and Sibelius - though I didn't quite catch the names of the pieces and, shame on me, didn't recognise them). Fascinating as well to be sitting in the Choir behind the orchestra and hear it all back to front as it were, but with a great view not only of the orchestra and the maestro working but of the famous Promenade mosh-pit! Did anyone get to this?

------------------
    Beethoven the Man!

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 09-10-2005).]
    Beethoven the Man!

I am listenning :
    BEETHOVEN:Prelude & Fugue for 2 violins & cello in Em,Hess 29

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JA Gardiner:
      [B]Thought I'd jump in and start a new one as the old thread was getting a bit long. Just got back from the Proms - wonderful evening with Esa- Pekka Salonen and the Helsinki Philharmonic playing Debussy - La Mer,

I once saw Esa-Pekka Salonen on tv, conducting Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" and he took no prisoners! It was a stunning performance of a stunning work of music. If it ever comes on again, WATCH it.
      To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
      susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

Comment

Listening now to Mstislav Rostropovich play Prokofiev's Symphony-Concerto for cello, opus 125.
        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Hi Spaceray, good to hear from you again!

"Nothing right can be accomplished in art without enthusiasm." This is an insightful remark by Robert Schumann. Later on NPR Leif Ove Andsnes brings to light Schumann's enthusiasm playing his Romanza and Fughetta.

Also Tchaikovsky Serenade for Strings performed by Camerata Bern in concert at the Moritzburg Festival in Germany.

Some good listening!

------------------
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Bruckner's 8th - not one of my favourite composers but the slow movement of this is magnificent.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Lazy day today...

Earlier on it was the baritone Hermann Prey performing lieder by B (opp.46, 94 and 98 amongst others) and his contemporaries (including Haydn, Spohr, Weber and some divine Schubert). Lovely.

Right now it's the Lindsays - with Janet Hilton - and Mozart's sublime Clarinet Quintet, K.581. This is simply one of the greatest chamber works we have!

Following this will be the Quartet in A, K.464. Ah, Mozart...

------------------
              Seizing fate by the throat...
              Seizing fate by the throat...

Comment

Brahm's Symphony No. 4. One of my favourites!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                  Brahm's Symphony No. 4. One of my favourites!

And one of mine, also. I think the Adagio is the most romantic music of the world. I dedicate the Adagio from the Fourth to my husband every Valentine's Day.
                  To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
                  susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

Comment

Originally posted by sjwenger:
                    And one of mine, also. I think the Adagio is the most romantic music of the world. I dedicate the Adagio from the Fourth to my husband every Valentine's Day.
                    Whoops - I missed the word "Brahms" in your post when I replied to it. I was referring to Beethoven's 4th.
                    susanwenger@yahoo.com

Comment

I've been listening to Robert Shaw's "translation" of Brahm's German Requiem to English, performed by the Utah Symphony and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Not a bad performance and I was fortunate to have been there one of the two recording days.

Comment

I have enjoyed a very beautiful interpretation of Mendelssohn's first piano trio. It works so easy on the mind!

Joy (= )! I am also very dear to Brahms' last symphony. To me its first movement stand as wonder! Just a couple of days ago I happened to hear his Variations for orchestra (Opus56b), in a glorious rendition. A work LvB would have unequivocally approved of, I am sure.

Remain calm. Soon there will be time for Beethoven: I have his F#minor quartet (Opus95) in mind.

Comment

We had a mini Beethoven concert over the weekend starting things off was the Piano Sonata #9 with Stefan Litwin, piano next came Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-Flat Op 19
                          with Conductor Claudio Abbado and the Mahler Chamber Orchestra SOLO Martha Argerich, piano and then the Violin Sonata #8 with Midori, violin and Robert McDonald, piano.
                          Wonderful listening indeed!

------------------

Comment

A live recording of LVB String Trios op.3, 8 and 9 played by Perlman , Zuckerman and Harrell. Superb. Does anyone know if Du Pre ever recorded these?

------------------
                            Beethoven the Man!
                            Beethoven the Man!

Comment

The very first release in Hyperion's Romantic Piano Concerto Collection: works by Moszkowski and Paderewski. What amazing concertos!

Comment

Working...
                              X