Happy Birthday Schubert!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Birthday Schubert!

On This day in 1797, Birth in Vienna of Franz Schubert. "Although he died at the young age of 31, he wrote some six hundred romantic Song (Lieder) as well as many Symphonies", Sonatas, String quartets, some Operas and many other works. With a natural flair for melodies and Lyricism, Schubert is counted among the most gifted composers of the 19th century.
    Public appreciation of his work during his lifetime for a long time was thought to be limited, but when he died at the age of 31 over 100 of his compositions had already appeared in print. He was never able to secure adequate permanent employment and for most of his life was supported by friends or employed by his father.In the midst of this creative activity, his health deteriorated. He had battled syphilis since 1822. The final illness may have been typhoid fever, though other causes have been proposed; some of his final symptoms match those of mercury poisoning (mercury was a common treatment for syphilis in the early 19th century); at any rate, insufficient evidence remains to make a definitive diagnosis. He died aged 31 on November 19, 1828 at the apartment of his brother Ferdinand in Vienna."

Posthumous history of Schubert's music:
    "Some of his smaller pieces were printed shortly after his death, but the more valuable seem to have been regarded by the publishers as waste paper. In 1838 Robert Schumann, on a visit to Vienna, found the dusty manuscript of the C major symphony (the "Great", D.944) and took it back to Leipzig, where it was performed by Felix Mendelssohn and celebrated in the Neue Zeitschrift. There continues to be some controversy over the numbering of this symphony, with German-speaking scholars numbering it as symphony No. 7, the revised Deutsch catalogue (the standard catalogue of Schubert's works, compiled by Otto Erich Deutsch) listing it as No. 8, and English-speaking scholars listing it as No. 9."

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Originally posted by Joy:
    On This day in 1797, Birth in Vienna of Franz Schubert. "Although he died at the young age of 31, he wrote some six hundred romantic Song (Lieder) as well as many Symphonies", Sonatas, String quartets, some Operas and many other works. With a natural flair for melodies and Lyricism, Schubert is counted among the most gifted composers of the 19th century.
    Public appreciation of his work during his lifetime for a long time was thought to be limited, but when he died at the age of 31 over 100 of his compositions had already appeared in print. He was never able to secure adequate permanent employment and for most of his life was supported by friends or employed by his father.In the midst of this creative activity, his health deteriorated. He had battled syphilis since 1822. The final illness may have been typhoid fever, though other causes have been proposed; some of his final symptoms match those of mercury poisoning (mercury was a common treatment for syphilis in the early 19th century); at any rate, insufficient evidence remains to make a definitive diagnosis. He died aged 31 on November 19, 1828 at the apartment of his brother Ferdinand in Vienna."

Posthumous history of Schubert's music:
    "Some of his smaller pieces were printed shortly after his death, but the more valuable seem to have been regarded by the publishers as waste paper. In 1838 Robert Schumann, on a visit to Vienna, found the dusty manuscript of the C major symphony (the "Great", D.944) and took it back to Leipzig, where it was performed by Felix Mendelssohn and celebrated in the Neue Zeitschrift. There continues to be some controversy over the numbering of this symphony, with German-speaking scholars numbering it as symphony No. 7, the revised Deutsch catalogue (the standard catalogue of Schubert's works, compiled by Otto Erich Deutsch) listing it as No. 8, and English-speaking scholars listing it as No. 9."

Thanks for sharing this, Joy. I love Schubert - he is right there with Beethoven, Mozart and Chopin as among my favorite composers. Think of even how much more he could have given us had he not died so young.

Comment

Happy Birthday Schubert...he still looks so young at 209 years of age

Comment

Wonderful Schubert ! He seems to me the most 'human' of all the great composers. His early works are pleasant enough but his persistency was rewarded near the end of his life (especially in the last 4 years or so) by a string of tremendous works. Unassuming by nature (hiding from Beethoven, for example) and yet so brave in what he finally did. I listen to his last sonatas, to his great Octet, his Quintet in C, his last symphonies etc. etc. with the greatest love. Such a talent. His incidental music for 'Rosamunde' was finally found decades later in the cupboard of a relatives house. (I dearly love it).

It's amazing to think that 3 great composers lived just over 100 years between them - Schubert, JM Kraus, and Mozart. But Schubert's tenderness and his inner soul revealed in so much of what he did are so touching. A great, great man.

Robert

Comment

I know it's a popular piece but I think Schubert's B Minor symphony is one of the most beautiful and one of the best pieces of music ever written; say what you will about composers as a whole but I think if we were considering pieces individually, the unfinished B-minor symphony is probably at the very top of the list for me, above anything Beethoven, Mozart, or anyone else did...perhaps Beethoven's #9 symphony might be its equal.

Comment

Originally posted by HaydnFan:
            I know it's a popular piece but I think Schubert's B Minor symphony is one of the most beautiful and one of the best pieces of music ever written; say what you will about composers as a whole but I think if we were considering pieces individually, the unfinished B-minor symphony is probably at the very top of the list for me, above anything Beethoven, Mozart, or anyone else did...perhaps Beethoven's #9 symphony might be its equal.
            Schubert's unfinished is a great work, so is his 9th but you're not likely to meet with agreement on this forum as to its surpassing the Beethoven symphonies! In those last two symphonies Schubert achieved an incredible maturity and mastery, and I would agree that the Unfinished is certainly the greatest symphony written by a 25 year old. Just imagine what he would have achieved had he lived longer - Grillparzer's epitaph says it all.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 01-31-2006).]
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

I agree with Peter. But (and music always seems to give us something exceptional) what about the solitary symphony in E Major by Hans Rott (colleague of Gustav Mahler at music college)- this written by a 22 year old music student who would tragicallu die only 4 years later. It's a stupendous work that just seems to pour out of his pen, 'impossibly' good, and yet it is absolutely Mahlerian from the very first bars. This amazing symphony is perhaps not proof of Rott being 'the greatest composer of all time' (since he wrote only a handful in his very short life) but anyone who hears it will surely agree that Rott's symphony is one of the great miracles of musical history. Had it been written by a middle aged man it would be world famous. It was not. It has been rediscovered only recently.

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

what about the solitary symphony in E Major by Hans Rott
                I'll have to seek this work out Robert, but his name probably hasn't helped!

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes Peter, I learned of the Hans Rott symphony in E only around Christmas time and heard it for the first time myself only a few days later. It amazed me. According to the article on Hans Rott on Wilkepedia (and there is even a photograph of him as a student) the symphony was actually finished when he was 20 years old. He showed it to Bruckner (one of his teachers in Vienna) who was very encouraging. But he made the fatal mistake of showing it also to Brahms who hated it and who told him he had no musical talent at all - that he should give up any career in music because he had 'absolutely no talent', etc. This deeply hurtful opinion by the 'great' Brahms sent Rott in to great depression and a year later he was admitted in to a care hospital and batttled against depression for the rest of his short life. Mahler describes him as a great genius without which he could never have written his own works. He also says Rott totally revolutionised the symphony. Bruckner said similar things. But the work was only finally performed in public in the late 1950's. It truly is a beautiful and astonishing work in so many ways and I would love to have opinions on it. It is simply unique and never ceases to amaze everyone who hears it.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                  X