Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mozart Celebrations Continues!

On KBaq today:

"Even though His birthday was Friday, Mozart celebrations continue this weekend as the world celebrates the 250th anniversary of Mozart's birth. Vienna, the city where Mozart lived for the last ten years of his life, plans concerts and celebrations through the end of the year. Organizers have planned more than 600 concerts in all districts of the city, and have also commissioned 80 new works of art by contemporary artists, musicians, and choreographers. There's even a Mozart cookbook featuring the composer's favorite foods, and a "Mozart Mobile" that will travel around enticing children to join in the fesitivities.

**Here in Phoenix, The Phoenix Symphony has their Mozart Birthday bash this afternoon at 3 at the Mesa Arts Center, and on Sunday Katrina Becker hosts two hours of Amadeus immediately following this week in classical music on classical radio.

Opera Director Peter Sellars wants to stage a radical modern production of Mozart's unfinished work, "Zaide". Sellars has made a name for himself for his provocative interpretations of Mozart's works before-he once cast Don Giovanni as a Harlem Drug Lord-and his ideas for Zaide are no exception… says Sellars, "I want to make it completely contemporary, as did Mozart". The production premieres in Vienna Before Moving to new York, where it will be in the Lincoln Center's Mostly Mozart Festival."

And the Czech republic played down the thought of any rivalry with Austria in it's Mozart Birthday celebrations. With more than 150 events, the City of Prague plans to highlight it's special significance as a place where Mozart had some of his greatest successes, including the premierre of his opera Don Giovanni, after which Mozart commented that only the citizens of Prague Understood him.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'
    'Truth and beauty joined'

oh yeah the mozart hype is mad! there are concerts EVERYWHERE. (I've played in a grand mozart concert myself last week. With a clarinet trio. The concert was held in a baroque hall. It felt like you are taken back 200 years)
    The german and austrian tv channels (I live at the border to austria so I can watch both programmes) were showing at least 6 shows over the weekend. Well, 50% are just publicity and crammed with "wanna-be mozart experts" celebrities. Horrible.
    But there were some good ones aswell :-)

[This message has been edited by Anthina (edited 01-29-2006).]
    *~Ja, was haben's da scho wieder gmacht, Beethoven?~*

Comment

KBYU FM broadcast the NPR concert live from Salzburg. It was nice to hear the bells at 8:00 P.M., Salzburg time.

Comment

Working...
      X