Greatest moments in Fidelio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greatest moments in Fidelio

We all agree that Fidelio is just a great opera. I would like to know which moments in this work particularily move your heart.

Well, as for me, it is this great and passage of " O Gott! O welch ein Augenblick !" in the Finale which Beethoven actually already composed around 1792 for his cantata on Kaiser Joseph. This is just heavenly! But what I just don't understand is why Beethoven has shortened this part in his Fidelio version from 1814! In the original 'Leonore' version from 1805 this passage is much longer and, as I believe, much stronger in it's expression. Does anybody know this original version? What do you think?

Gerd

Originally posted by gprengel:
    We all agree that Fidelio is just a great opera. I would like to know which moments in this work particularily move your heart.

Well, as for me, it is this great and passage of " O Gott! O welch ein Augenblick !" in the Finale which Beethoven actually already composed around 1792 for his cantata on Kaiser Joseph. This is just heavenly! But what I just don't understand is why Beethoven has shortened this part in his Fidelio version from 1814! In the original 'Leonore' version from 1805 this passage is much longer and, as I believe, much stronger in it's expression. Does anybody know this original version? What do you think?

Gerd
    Dear Gerd;

I own several CD sets of Fidelio and Leonore (both versions). In composing operas, there is an integration of two aspects: the music and the theatrics.

In the first version of Leonore, Beethoven kept expanding and adding music to the first act until it was so massive that he had to split it into two acts. The problem was that Beethoven split it at a point where there was no dramatic tension, and he ruined the opera.

In the second version of Leonore, Beethoven tried to restore the dramatic tension by shortening the opera. Arias were shortened, and in several cases, totally scrapped. But Beethoven still could not achieve the delicate balance of music and theatrics.

Only in the final version of Fidelio did Beethoven get it right, shortening in places, expanding elsewhere.

I think that the most exciting aria and chorus was cut out of the opera. At the end of the second act of first Leonore (the end of the first act of the second Leonore) was a real show stopper: "Auf euch nur will ich bauen." What an unbelievable piece!! Sadly, it just did not fit into the mix, and Beethoven cut it from Fidelio quite rightly.

Hofrat
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat:
      Dear Gerd;

I think that the most exciting aria and chorus was cut out of the opera. At the end of the second act of first Leonore (the end of the first act of the second Leonore) was a real show stopper: "Auf euch nur will ich bauen." What an unbelievable piece!! Sadly, it just did not fit into the mix, and Beethoven cut it from Fidelio quite rightly.

I own a few Cds of both too, but I'm not so sure the "Auf euch nur will ich bauen" is the standout piece from what I have heard. Either way I agree it was right to remove it.

I especially like the section around where Pizzaro bursts in singing 'Verwegner Alter!' towards the end of act one. Then there's "Ha! welch ein augenblick". Also I think the final chorus 'Wer ein holdes Weib errungen' is absolutely fantastic.

Anyone who is not moved to at least one tear by Fidelio is not a human!

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 01-28-2006).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        I especially like the section around where Pizzaro bursts in singing 'Verwegner Alter!' towards the end of act one. Then there's "Ha! Velch ein augenblick". Also I think the final chorus 'Wer ein holdes Weib errungen' is absolutely fantastic.

Anyone who is not moved to at least one tear by Fidelio is not a human!

Dear Gerd;

The most poignant moment in Fidelio for me is when the prisoners sing out "O! Freiheit!" That is a real tear jerker for me.

Hofrat
        "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Working...
        X