Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprise Symphony

I just thought of something funny:

The only two people who I have "shown" Haydn's Symphony No. 94 to have been surprised, indeed!

Both of them moved closer to the speaker when the music got quieter and subsequently jumped!

I guess Haydn's trick still works after 200 years!

Indeed it does! I often teach the tune to beginners as a staccato exercise (without the surprise). I then play them a cd of the original and they all nearly jump out of their skins (especially as I have the volume fairly loud!)

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Another good piece to make people sit up is the first movement of Tchaikovsky's Sixth symphony. The music becomes very quiet at the end of the exposition and the development starts like an explosion. I've caused a few friends to jump out of their chairs and any reaction to classical music is welcome nowadays.

Michael

Comment

Beethoven plays a little trick on the audience also, in my humble opinion.

In Symphony 9, he has a lethargic, lullaby-ish Third Movement in adagio, and just as the audience is falling asleep in their seats, mouths hanging open, drool dripping to their chins, he blasts away with the terrorconcert!

------------------
        To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
        susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.
        To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
        susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

Comment

Originally posted by sjwenger:
          Beethoven plays a little trick on the audience also, in my humble opinion.

In Symphony 9, he has a lethargic, lullaby-ish Third Movement in adagio, and just as the audience is falling asleep in their seats, mouths hanging open, drool dripping to their chins, he blasts away with the terrorconcert!

Yes, that's another good "fright" - if the conductor decides to go straight into the last movement without a pause. I first heard it done that way many years ago on radio by Colin Davis and it certainly made me appreciate the "terror fanfare".
          I can't ever remember dozing off or drooling for the third movement, however.
          Lethargic??? What recordings have you been listening to?

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 01-21-2006).]

Comment

I watched the von Karajan performance on DVD today. Even the composer seems to be drowsing off during the Adagio : }

------------------
            susanwenger@yahoo.com

susanwenger@yahoo.com

Comment

Stravinsky's Firebird Suite, also has an orchestral explosion after a silent part. I nearly jumped out of my seat in a live performance.

Then in Saint-Saen's organ symphony (I was listening for the first time) there is a very loud C Major chord for the organ (3rd movement) right after the music dies away. I turned the volume up on the record player (and I was wearing headphones). I literally ripped the headphones off when that organ came in.

Comment

While all of the above musical transitions do in fact perform as stated, the most explosive transition of musical passages is to be found in the Missa Solemnis ...

Nothing in there ... but absolutely nothing ... other than considerable familiarity with the work... can prepare the listener for that explosion which takes place as one leaves the Kyria and enters the Gloria.

There's more... as the Gloria powers its way to an immensely grand AMEN it is followed by an even more thunderous opening of the CREDO.

What follows thereafter is quintessentially mystical Beethoven. And that takes much listening to ultimately fathom the depth of genius in that entire work.

------------------
                Must it be? It must be!
                Must it be? It must be!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                  Stravinsky's Firebird Suite, also has an orchestral explosion after a silent part. I nearly jumped out of my seat in a live performance.

Then in Saint-Saen's organ symphony (I was listening for the first time) there is a very loud C Major chord for the organ (3rd movement) right after the music dies away. I turned the volume up on the record player (and I was wearing headphones). I literally ripped the headphones off when that organ came in.
                  Speaking of Saint-Saen's FYI On This Day in 1875 There was the first performance of Camille Saint-Saens's "Danse Macabre." A wonderful piece!

------------------
                  'Truth and beauty joined'
                  'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                    Speaking of Saint-Saen's FYI On This Day in 1875 There was the first performance of Camille Saint-Saens's "Danse Macabre." A wonderful piece!

That's good to know! If I had it handy I'd listen to it right now!

Comment

Working...
                    X