• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authentic instrument mp3s - Sonata in Ab Op.110

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

a truly great performance, the piano sounds SPLENDID...alltough the ending might have been a bit more louder imho, the pianist still get's the max/ out of this instrument..it's a great recording.

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
      a truly great performance, the piano sounds SPLENDID...alltough the ending might have been a bit more louder imho, the pianist still get's the max/ out of this instrument..it's a great recording.
      The performance is a good one but this is an old recording from the 60s that is variable in quality, in some palaces it is clear the original master has been damaged and no attempt has been made to remaster it. op126 is also in the disk but is unplayable to my ears, the sound is so bad (fortunately I have a few fp recordings of this to chose from when we get to it).

Also I am not sure if the piano is in the best condition, the upper mid-range sound rather harsh, not the bell-like tone I am used to from Graf pianos. But on the other hand this could be a recording quality issue too.

I like the crashing chords in this recording. I've heard nothing so effective on a modern piano.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 01-15-2006).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

i have a question : is it beethoven's piano that we hear in this record?

Comment

Originally posted by waldstein:
          i have a question : is it beethoven's piano that we hear in this record?
          Read what it says about the track on the page!

------------------

Comment

Ravishing. Great instrument, great performance, and as for the music itself...words can't describe what that coda does to me. It is simply sublime.

Thanks very much for this, Rod. I too enjoyed the big chords you mentioned!

Daz

------------------
            Seizing fate by the throat...
            Seizing fate by the throat...

Comment

Originally posted by untamed_personality:
              Ravishing. Great instrument, great performance, and as for the music itself...words can't describe what that coda does to me. It is simply sublime.

Thanks very much for this, Rod. I too enjoyed the big chords you mentioned!

Daz

Yes the coda here is overwhelming, I don't think there's anything quite like it in all the piano repertoire.

------------------

Comment

Working...
              X