Beethoven and Christmas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven and Christmas!

Just wondering is any of our members received a 'Beethoven' gift for Christmas this year? As for me, I received a wonderful Beethoven book entitled simply 'Beethoven' by Artes Orga. It examines his life from the early years throughout through his letters. Also includes many photographs and paintings of him and the times. Also received a Beethoven/music bookmark and a photo album with Beethoven on the cover!

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'
    'Truth and beauty joined'

I didn't receive any Beethoven gifts, unfortunately, but I do have the book you mention. I actually received it for Christmas about twelve years ago. The series was called 'The Illustrated Lives of the Great Composers'. It's a good read and I enjoyed it. Especially interesting are some of the opinions of the Ninth in one of the early chapters. It certainly had me biting my lip, I can tell you!

Daz

------------------
    Seizing fate by the throat...

[This message has been edited by untamed_personality (edited 01-06-2006).]
    Seizing fate by the throat...

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
      Just wondering is any of our members received a 'Beethoven' gift for Christmas this year? As for me, I received a wonderful Beethoven book entitled simply 'Beethoven' by Artes Orga. It examines his life from the early years throughout through his letters. Also includes many photographs and paintings of him and the times. Also received a Beethoven/music bookmark and a photo album with Beethoven on the cover!

Hi, Joy. Yes, I received the late quartets, a seven-disk CD set. Wonderful! I also purchased, with my Barnes and Noble gift card, the Thayer biography, edited by Forbes, which came this week. I haven't had a chance to start this yet but will this weekend.

Regards,
      Teresa

Comment

I gave myself a copy of the Takacs Quartet's recording of the Late Quartets which is stunning - but for some reason doesn't want to transfer itself to the I Pod equivalent my husband gave me, so its a full set of the Quartetto Italiano's version that I've put on my playlist alongside lots of other goodies that i can now carry around on one small piece of hardware. She shall have Beethoven wherever she goes! and Bach, Mozart, Rodrigo, REM, Santana, Part, Reich, Taverner , Elgar, Carly Simon, KD lang, Lutoslawski............ .......

------------------
        Beethoven the Man!

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 01-06-2006).]
        Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Oh yay! The cd i just bought has the Quartet Italiano playing the Cavatina: Adagio molto espressivo from the String Quarter in B flat major, Opus 130. I'm so new at knowing who is good and who is better, so i feel proud to have made a good choice.

As i mentioned in the other thread, my daughter has ordered for me The Late String Quartets performed by the Lindsay String Quartet, and i'm looking forward to receiving that.

Joy, i'm absolutely drooling over hearing about the book you received. I currently have as my desktop wallpaper a beautiful black and white of Ludwig when he was younger. I'm guessing perhaps 30ish or so. I realize that many of the paintings and drawings of him were idealized, but that's okay by me. I choose only the most handsome ones and alternate them on my desktop. We all have our 'good side,' eh?

I shall be looking for the book you mentioned.

Marcy

------------------
          - and those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music ~Nietzsche
          - and those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music ~Nietzsche

Comment

No Beethoven gifts on this end, but Rod will be pleased that I received a HANDEL gift, which happens to be my favorite recording of Messiah, Sir Colin Davis and the LSO.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
              No Beethoven gifts on this end, but Rod will be pleased that I received a HANDEL gift, which happens to be my favorite recording of Messiah, Sir Colin Davis and the LSO.
              Well I got a DVD of Rodelinda. I recommend Pinnock's Messiah on Archiv. This never disappoints.

------------------
              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
              X