• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authentic instrument mp3s - Sonata in E Op.109

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Just wonderful. These late sonatas are something else and this piece has always been a personal favourite. I love the sound of this Graf, I have to say, and it was a good performance.

Thanks, Rod!

Daz

------------------
    Seizing fate by the throat...
    Seizing fate by the throat...

Comment

Yes an enjoyable performance of a wonderful sonata, of special interest to me as I am myself studying the work at present.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Who wants to hear a Steinway after this lovely sound? The performance and recording is first rate for all the movements. I really wish you could hear the first two as well, but we must restrict ourselves with this type of activity.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          Yes an enjoyable performance of a wonderful sonata, of special interest to me as I am myself studying the work at present.

Finished with the Hammerklavier?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
            Finished with the Hammerklavier?
            Op.106 I fear is too much of a challenge - I've only ever worked on the first movement. Of the late sonatas Op.110 and now Op.109 are the two I've really worked on, and I have to say the last two pages of op.109 with those trills are a challenge!

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
              Who wants to hear a Steinway after this lovely sound? I really wish you could hear the first two as well, but we must restrict ourselves with this type of activity.

I have a Bechstein! I was going to ask about the other movements but you are quite right, pity.

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Sometimes i try to imagine what it would have been like to be in attendance when Ludwig himself played these pieces. Listening to this wonderful sonata played on an authentic instrument transports me there.

Thank you.

Marcy

------------------
                - and those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music ~Nietzsche
                - and those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music ~Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by mps1600:
                  Sometimes i try to imagine what it would have been like to be in attendance when Ludwig himself played these pieces. Listening to this wonderful sonata played on an authentic instrument transports me there.

Thank you.

Marcy

Sorry to ruin the lovely thought, but unfortunately Beethoven was stone deaf by the time of this sonata, so I think you're probably better off with this interpretation!

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Sorry to ruin the lovely thought, but unfortunately Beethoven was stone deaf by the time of this sonata, so I think you're probably better off with this interpretation!

Yes, one might think piano could be played by feel alone, but it isn't quite so easy. If you have access to a digital piano, try turning the volume all the way down, recording something, and then playing it back with the volume turned up.

Comment

How are you doing with learning this piece and how far are you along? Is it expecially dificult than say most of his other sonatas?

------------------
                      'Truth and beauty joined'
                      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                        How are you doing with learning this piece and how far are you along? Is it expecially dificult than say most of his other sonatas?

Each of the sonatas have their own special difficulties, obviously the Waldstein and Appassionata make tremendous technical demands, but the late sonatas (as well as being technically demanding, Op.109 particularly the final few variations with pages of trills) have this meditative quality that is enormously difficult to communicate. I have it from memory and can play the notes, it's getting the performance I want that takes the time!

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I didn't mean this piece in particular because of course as you say, he was deaf by the time he wrote this and no longer performed. I was just remarking that hearing one of his pieces played upon an authentic instrument gave me a small taste of what it might have been like to have heard him play.

Marcy

------------------

Comment

Each of the sonatas have their own special difficulties, obviously the Waldstein and Appassionata make tremendous technical demands, but the late sonatas (as well as being technically demanding, Op.109 particularly the final few variations with pages of trills) have this meditative quality that is enormously difficult to communicate. I have it from memory and can play the notes, it's getting the performance I want that takes the time!

I did the whole Appasionnata last year and it was the biggest challenge I had to accomplish. However, I disagree on the part about technical difficulty. There isnt much technical difficulty in that Sonata. Same for the Waldstein. Most 17-18 year old can technically play those pieces. However, I have rarely found a pianist who could play it adequatly. There's too much bagage in that sonata for inexperienced players, I found myself in awe when I analysed the pieces. The first mouvement is unplayable, its simply unplayable.

Right now, I've started "Les adieux" and its probably Beethovens most symphonic sonata. I always think of a symphony when I hear it. I'd like to start the no.32, but its a monster, I'll have to give myself time and reflection before even looking at the sheet.

Comment

Working...
                            X