No announcement yet.

Copying Beethoven (contd)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why? I think the writer should be respected more. If there is no writer, where the story come from?

Originally posted by srivele:

I will if I can manage it. But please note: in Hollywood, writers have had to fight for the right to be invited to premieres of the films we write. We still do not have the right, though studios are urged to invite us. However, since I am also a producer on this film, I suppose I will invite myself, though whether I will pay for myself remains to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by OB:
      Why? I think the writer should be respected more. If there is no writer, where the story come from?

Please tell that to the producers and studio executives. The truth is that disrespect for the writer is institutionalized in the Hollywood film industry to an extent that is difficult for those not in the business to understand or believe. Until very recently, writers were not permitted to attend rehearsals, not permitted on the set while the film was being shot, never consulted in casting decisions, not allowed to meet with the actors, liable to be fired without notice, and routinely expected to do free rewrites for the studios. All of those things are still true, especially the free rewrites, though the situation has eased somewhat, but in none of those cases do we have any contractual rights. Yet, you are correct: without what we writers do, there would be no sutdios, directors or actors working anywhere. Madness, don't you think?

Comment

You are right, that is very difficult to understand. You would think that Hollywood thinking would have changed it's ways already instead of being so exclusive. Shame on them!

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
          You are right, that is very difficult to understand. You would think that Hollywood thinking would have changed it's ways already instead of being so exclusive. Shame on them!

The next test screening is tomorrow night in London. I will see the new cut of the film today. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Thanks for always keeping us so up to date Stephen. Do you think there will be a screen test held somewhere in the U.S.?

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
              Thanks for always keeping us so up to date Stephen. Do you think there will be a screen test held somewhere in the U.S.?

The next test screening will probably take place in Seattle.

Comment

Originally posted by srivele:
                The next test screening will probably take place in Seattle.
                Well, the reels have been locked for the dub, which is to say that the picture is in its final (or nearly final) form, and the sound tracks will be laid down. So the end is in sight. But to paraphrase Paul Elouard in speaking of a poem: A film is never finished, it's abandoned.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                  Yes these are now available on this page:
                  www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/film.html

I have reduced the Kb size as much as possible but the images are still quite large and may take a while to download for those of you with dial up.

Is the link/site temporarily unavailable. I was unable to connect to the photos through the link in this message. Hope you can help as I really would like to see them.

Nice to hear post-production is on schedule. Am looking forward to getting a release date.

Thanks.

... the melody lingers on.

Comment

Originally posted by merrybari:
                    Is the link/site temporarily unavailable. I was unable to connect to the photos through the link in this message. Hope you can help as I really would like to see them.

Nice to hear post-production is on schedule. Am looking forward to getting a release date.

Thanks.

Unfortunately we had to remove the pictures so the link was removed.

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                      Unfortunately we had to remove the pictures so the link was removed.

Some good news. Myriad, our marketing firm, has sold the rights to Germany, Mexico, Belgium, Holland, Luxembourg and all of Asia, plus the in-flight rights. And the publishing deal for the soundtrack is going forward.

Comment

Mr. Rivele, I just want to say I wish you the greatest success with this film.

Finally the world is getting a film about Beethoven that is written by someone who knows and understands his personality as well as his music! (In contrast to the makers of that slanderous garbage, "Immortal Beloved"....)

I know you had to fictionalize some things in the story to make the movie marketable, but having read your comments, I am absolutely certain you made every effort to portray Beethoven in a way that is respectful and consistent with his nature. Any movie about history is fictionalized, to some extent, since we have no way of knowing all the words spoken in individual conversations, gestures made, tone of voice, etc.

Better that you compromised historical accuracy slightly and pushed your film through, than adhere to a rigidly purist approach and limit your movie to nothing more than an idea in your head. (Besides, I don't think Beethoven would've objected to the Anna Holtz character appearing in his own life!)

I also have absolute faith in the great Ed Harris to portray Beethoven with the sensitivity and force of Beethoven's actual character. The only other actor I can think of who could possibly play Beethoven is James Cagney; certainly Ed Harris is greatest living actor for the job.

Hopefully your film will ignite a new interest in Beethoven as well open the deep spirituality of his late period music to a wider audience. And hopefully Ed Harris' performance will fix an accurate picture of Beethoven in the public mind that will stand as the definitive cinematic portrayal of the composer.

God bless Beethoven and God bless you sir and the wonderful people involved with your film! At long last Beethoven will be getting the film he has always deserved.

[This message has been edited by Pizarro (edited 11-18-2005).]

Comment

Is there an update on when the movie will be released in the United States? Wouldn't it be GREAT if people stood in line for the opener overnight, the way they like to do for Star Wars and Harry Potter ? ! ? !

------------------
                          To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
                          susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.
                          To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
                          susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

Comment

The haughty and condescending attitude towards writers in Hollywood has a marked effect on their products, though: I have noticed that nearly all my favorite films were creations of a single writer/directer; sometimes even producer. There is far more unity, balance, and subtlety in these films, precisely because every facet is inextricably united by one mind. Movies are a various art form, because the creation process requires extensive compromise and cooperation with so many other artists (make-up, special effects, actors, writers, directors, etc.): but the greater this is reduced, the more coherent and profound the result. I have found, too, that the lower budget films are generally more intriguing than the expansive, grandiose designs, because often these films lose direction and lack the intricacy that makes for subtlety. So many elements must align properly for effective and detectable nuance: the more variables reduced, the more poignant scenes.

Another general observation: constraints ALWAYS inspire bursts of creativity; cleverness and wit, after all, involve fluid connections between the obvious and radically not-obvious, thus the more insane the hurdle, the more powerful its surmount. Having listened to many, many DVD commentaries, this has hardened into a creative maxim. That is why, as a film maker, challenge yourself with lower and lower budgets. And be a genius.

[This message has been edited by Beyond Within (edited 11-20-2005).]
                            Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
                            That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
                            And then is heard no more. It is a tale
                            Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
                            Signifying nothing. -- Act V, Scene V, Macbeth.

Comment

Hello! I'd just like to say that I think this movie is going to be fabulous! I know from first hand experience. I was singing in the chorus for the sequence of Beethoven's 9th Symphony. I was studying music education at the Kodaly Institute and living in Kecskemet, Hungary last year when Peter Erdei (the director of the Kodaly Institute and the director of the pedagogical choir, the choir used in this film) asked me to be part of his choir just for the filming of this movie. It was a wonderful experience! I got to meet Ed Harris and be part of the group he was conducting. Mr. Harris did a PHENOMENAL job! He was a very convincing Beethoven and I felt that I was being conducted by a real musician as well. I am anxiously awaiting the release of this film! Please tell us, when is the release date?!

Comment

Originally posted by Beyond Within:
                                The haughty and condescending attitude towards writers in Hollywood has a marked effect on their products, though: I have noticed that nearly all my favorite films were creations of a single writer/directer; sometimes even producer. There is far more unity, balance, and subtlety in these films, precisely because every facet is inextricably united by one mind. Movies are a various art form, because the creation process requires extensive compromise and cooperation with so many other artists (make-up, special effects, actors, writers, directors, etc.): but the greater this is reduced, the more coherent and profound the result. I have found, too, that the lower budget films are generally more intriguing than the expansive, grandiose designs, because often these films lose direction and lack the intricacy that makes for subtlety. So many elements must align properly for effective and detectable nuance: the more variables reduced, the more poignant scenes.

Another general observation: constraints ALWAYS inspire bursts of creativity; cleverness and wit, after all, involve fluid connections between the obvious and radically not-obvious, thus the more insane the hurdle, the more powerful its surmount. Having listened to many, many DVD commentaries, this has hardened into a creative maxim. That is why, as a film maker, challenge yourself with lower and lower budgets. And be a genius.

[This message has been edited by Beyond Within (edited 11-20-2005).]
                                Well, I can't say I disagree with any of that. You sound like you're speaking from experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X