Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joy:
    Anything new, Stephen?

We will see the first rough cut on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by srivele:
      Oh, exciting! Anxious to hear about it!

------------------
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Is the film catch up with the Christmas release?

Comment

I have read an interview with Ms Agnieska Holland in a newspaper. She said that the film may will be released in Berlin or Cannes filmfestival but by all means next year.

Comment

Originally posted by bfanatic:
            I have read an interview with Ms Agnieska Holland in a newspaper. She said that the film may will be released in Berlin or Cannes filmfestival but by all means next year.
            Could you please tell us what paper that was in and the date? I'd like to read the article. Thanks!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 08-29-2005).]

Comment

I have seen the first cut of the film, and it is powerful and moving. We will be having a meeting with the entire production staff tomorrow, so I'll write more after that. But just let me say that I was stunned; I was moved to tears several times, and there was much laughter (in the right places). The performances are extraordinary and the film looks beautiful. It was a temporary sound track, but the music is wonderful (the Ninth, the Seventh, the Fourth and Fifth Piano Concertos, some Op. 59 quartets, the Op. 131, 132, the Grosse Fugue and other pieces). I was quite overwhelmed at the sheer dramatic size and intensity of it. And there is a lot of humor, a good deal of vulgarity and much musing on the nature and godliness of music. I'll have more to say later. But on the whole, I think it's a wonderul success.

Comment

Could you please tell us what paper that was in and the date? I'd like to read the article. Thanks!

Dear Joy,
                I read this article in a Hungarian daily newspaper "Népszabadság" on Saturday (27. of Aug.)Unfortunately as I know it has not English or German version.

Comment

Dear Srivele,

I'm a fairly new visitor to the Beethoven Reference site but have read all the posts on this thread and how hard you have sought to take advice/opinions from lovers of Beethoven's music. I really wish every success to you and your colleagues with the new film 'Copying Beethoven'. It's a great achievement.

With only days to go until the harsh realities of commerce rears their ugly heads (as far as advertising/ film distribution rights etc.etc) are concerned I wonder if it will be Ok to make a few comments on this aspect of the project.

I am a business person myself (working in commodities bought and sold online) - for which we try to act as agents.

My personal view is that a film such as this (in which real attempts have been made to be faithful to history and also which has accomodated an important element of fictional romance)needs to be sold in those two ways.

There will be great numbers of people who will automatically respect a film about Beethoven and others who need to be reminded of his greatness, both as a man and as a tremendous composer. Since the vast majority of people know Beethoven's name but little else I think your people would do well to grab these distributors by the shoulders, shake them, and stress the real importance of what you have done, culturally, musically, artistically with this phenomenal subject.

As for the others (those who may be equally attracted to the love affair written in to the film), well, if you think the actress has done well this can be a second selling point.

Above all else I think your sales people should not be timid about its prospects but should be as direct and forceful (constructively) as Beethoven himself in your sales campaign. Some care should be taken to stun listeners with Beethoven's music - especially those who can make crucial decisions as to its commercial future.

Very best wishes

Robert Newman

Comment

I'm very much looking forward to this film. Stephen, I see you mention humour: this, I believe, was the main downfall of 'Immortal Beloved', in that absolutely none of B's jovial - indeed sometimes daft - humour was shown. I'm sure even at this difficult time in his life he laughed and joked, so I'd like to think this has been touched upon in your film.

Regarding the music used, I think it's excellent that the 'mainstream' are going to hear the late quartets. B himself was very excited at the direction he was taking, as he said on his deathbed that he felt he'd only just begun to compose! Seeing the last months of his life in some detail is going to be a profound experience for me.

Cheers,

Daz

------------------
                    Seizing fate by the throat...
                    Seizing fate by the throat...

Comment

Originally posted by bfanatic:
                      Dear Joy,
                      I read this article in a Hungarian daily newspaper "Népszabadság" on Saturday (27. of Aug.)Unfortunately as I know it has not English or German version.
                      Thanks!

------------------

Comment

I have seen the first cut of the film, and it is powerful and moving. We will be having a meeting with the entire production staff tomorrow, so I'll write more after that. But just let me say that I was stunned; I was moved to tears several times, and there was much laughter (in the right places). The performances are extraordinary and the film looks beautiful. It was a temporary sound track, but the music is wonderful (the Ninth, the Seventh, the Fourth and Fifth Piano Concertos, some Op. 59 quartets, the Op. 131, 132, the Grosse Fugue and other pieces). I was quite overwhelmed at the sheer dramatic size and intensity of it. And there is a lot of humor, a good deal of vulgarity and much musing on the nature and godliness of music. I'll have more to say later. But on the whole, I think it's a wonderul success.

How exciting it must have been to visually see your film! I'm sure it's quite impressive. Glad to hear about the inclusion of the humorous bits. I'm sure it will be quite moving and emotional for all of us to see. As Daz says it will be very interesting to see Beethoven's last months of his life shown as other movies have not portrayed this portion of his life to any degree, not to my satisfaction at least.

P.S. I love your book. It's excellent!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

Dear Srivele,

I'm a fairly new visitor to the Beethoven Reference site but have read all the posts on this thread and how hard you have sought to take advice/opinions from lovers of Beethoven's music. I really wish every success to you and your colleagues with the new film 'Copying Beethoven'. It's a great achievement.

With only days to go until the harsh realities of commerce rears their ugly heads (as far as advertising/ film distribution rights etc.etc) are concerned I wonder if it will be Ok to make a few comments on this aspect of the project.

I am a business person myself (working in commodities bought and sold online) - for which we try to act as agents.

My personal view is that a film such as this (in which real attempts have been made to be faithful to history and also which has accomodated an important element of fictional romance)needs to be sold in those two ways.

There will be great numbers of people who will automatically respect a film about Beethoven and others who need to be reminded of his greatness, both as a man and as a tremendous composer. Since the vast majority of people know Beethoven's name but little else I think your people would do well to grab these distributors by the shoulders, shake them, and stress the real importance of what you have done, culturally, musically, artistically with this phenomenal subject.

As for the others (those who may be equally attracted to the love affair written in to the film), well, if you think the actress has done well this can be a second selling point.

Above all else I think your sales people should not be timid about its prospects but should be as direct and forceful (constructively) as Beethoven himself in your sales campaign. Some care should be taken to stun listeners with Beethoven's music - especially those who can make crucial decisions as to its commercial future.

Very best wishes

Robert Newman
                          Thank you for this valuable advice which I will pass along in the production meeting tomorrow. It is just the sort of kick in the pants the marketing people need since they are feeling rather shy about the subject. Ours is not an obvious commercial product - no bombs going off, no sex, no drugs, violence and car chases, but a lot of talk about art, man's soul and God - so they are a bit at sea about how to sell it. But you remind me of our original purpose in making the film: to bring the late Beethoven to as wide an audience as possible. Thanks for that.

Comment

How exciting it must have been to visually see your film! I'm sure it's quite impressive. Glad to hear about the inclusion of the humorous bits. I'm sure it will be quite moving and emotional for all of us to see. As Daz says it will be very interesting to see Beethoven's last months of his life shown as other movies have not portrayed this portion of his life to any degree, not to my satisfaction at least.

P.S. I love your book. It's excellent!

Yes, it is exciting. I just watched it again with my family, and their reaction (and my own on the second viewing) are most gratifying. I really love this film, and feel humbled that I was part of it. Ed's and Diane's performances are truly wonderful. There is simply nothing like it in the theaters today, which is both a good and a bad thing from a marketing standpoint. But we shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by untamed_personality:
                              I'm very much looking forward to this film. Stephen, I see you mention humour: this, I believe, was the main downfall of 'Immortal Beloved', in that absolutely none of B's jovial - indeed sometimes daft - humour was shown. I'm sure even at this difficult time in his life he laughed and joked, so I'd like to think this has been touched upon in your film.

Regarding the music used, I think it's excellent that the 'mainstream' are going to hear the late quartets. B himself was very excited at the direction he was taking, as he said on his deathbed that he felt he'd only just begun to compose! Seeing the last months of his life in some detail is going to be a profound experience for me.

Cheers,

Daz

Yes, the humor (humour) really comes across. One always dreads the first screenings, hoping that people will laugh in the right places, and they did. There is actually quite a lot of humor, some of it vulgar, I'm afraid, but I think Beethoven liked a good joke, even a crass one. However, it is the film's ability to move people to tears that is the most gratifying aspect, and it has done so each time we've shown it.

Comment

Originally posted by OB:
                                Is the film catch up with the Christmas release?

No, I don't think it will be ready by Christmas. The sound track is very complex and will take some months to assemble. I'm hoping for a premier at a festival after the New Year, and distribution in the spring.

Comment

Working...
                                X