Copying Beethoven (contd)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by srivele:
    Latest word is tha the first cut is about 20 percent done, with hopes for a full first cut in four weeks. I probably won't see anything until the end of the summer.
    Most recent news is that the first hour of the film has been rough-cut. Agnieszka says she is reasonably pleased with it.

Comment

Most recent news is that the first hour of the film has been rough-cut. Agnieszka says she is reasonably pleased with it.
      Just wonder if the final version of the movie is done, would you see it first together with the director and the cast before it release to public?

Comment

Originally posted by OB:
        Just wonder if the final version of the movie is done, would you see it first together with the director and the cast before it release to public?

Actually since I am both writer and producer I expect to be getting cut scenes as they are done, then view the rough cut of the entire picture and give my feedback into the editing process. And then I will see the whole picture when the print is locked prior to any screenings. So, yes.

Comment

Actually since I am both writer and producer I expect to be getting cut scenes as they are done, then view the rough cut of the entire picture and give my feedback into the editing process. And then I will see the whole picture when the print is locked prior to any screenings. So, yes.
          It sounds like it's going quite smoothly, glad to hear it.

------------------
          'Truth and beauty joined'
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Thanks for letting us know about this. I hope the movie will have a long version since I don't want to miss any scene of it.

Comment

Originally posted by OB:
              Thanks for letting us know about this. I hope the movie will have a long version since I don't want to miss any scene of it.

I anticipate that the film will be under two hours. However, if it is a commercial success, there is always the possibility of a director's cut on DVD. However, I can tell you, having seen the dailies, that there is not a lot of excess footage.

Comment

Well hopefully Tom Bombadil will be in the Director's Cut!

Er, wait a minute...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                  Well hopefully Tom Bombadil will be in the Director's Cut!

Er, wait a minute...
                  What are you tolkien about, Chris?

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
                    What are you tolkien about, Chris?

Michael

I'm so glad somebody explained this reference because I had no idea what you were talking about, so I kept wondering: Did I miss something in the production?

Comment

Heh, yes, I seem to have revealed too much of my inner nerd here. The Lord of the Rings films that were made recently all had extended editions, or director's cuts, released on DVD after the theatrical cuts. A lot of Tolkien fans were disappointed that the character of Tom Bombadil was not featured in the movie and hoped that he would be in the director's cut. Alas, he was not.

You see, all my co-workers are engineers and computer people - huge nerds, basically - and all my friends are also nerds. So I sometimes make references to things that I forget normal, well-adjusted people would not get right away. My apologies. You have to keep in mind here that you are talking to someone who has a Darth Vader mask sitting right on his desk. I never wear it, though. Honestly, I don't...

Comment

Stephen,

I am glad to hear that you completed another novel. I am about 100 pages into "A Booke of Days" and enjoying it immensely. It is a great blend of historical details and engrossing plot.

The way you involve yourself in the premise of the book and set it up as an apparent work of non-fiction reminds me a little of another favorite novel of mine:

Edwin Mulhouse: The Life and Death of an American Writer, 1943-1954, by Jeffrey Cartwright.
                        A novel by Steven Millhauser.

Have you always been interested in history? It seems to be a big part of all of your projects.
                        I look forward to your new book. Any ideas when it will hit the bookstores?

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris:
                          [B]

So I sometimes make references to things that I forget normal, well-adjusted people would not get right away. QUOTE]

Gosh, thanks, Chris.

Comment

I anticipate that the film will be under two hours. However, if it is a commercial success, there is always the possibility of a director's cut on DVD. However, I can tell you, having seen the dailies, that there is not a lot of excess footage.
                            Hello, Beethovenians - I've just found this group and am having a wonderful time "foraging." I'm a fan of the late works (I'm now listening to Missa Soleminises - Solemnisi?) and have been into the late quartets for a few years. My personal quirks regarding Beethoven's music are the oddities and transcriptions; things like his own arrangement of his Seventh Symphony for a group of 8 wind instruments (!) and the piano version of the Grosse Fuge, which I'm trying to find on CD. My big thrill from this group is learning about "Copying Beethoven." What with John Malkovich doing a film about Gustav Klimt, we should have a bumper crop of Viennese film biographies coming out within the year. Does anyone know how to contact Mr. Harris, by the way? I'm working on a documentary about the conductor Wilhelm Furtwangler and we're looking for a narrator! By way of introducion, I'm an artist and recently completed a large painting on the "theme" of Furtwangler conducting the Beethoven Ninth. It's probably one of the most irritatingly obscure things I've ever done. Okay, enough about me - does anyone know where to obtain a copy of Beethoven's death mask? Yes - it's for another painting; suddenly I'm in a Beethoven rut. I'm a die-hard Mahlerian but you know how these things go . . .

Comment

Originally posted by urtextmeister:
                              Stephen,

I am glad to hear that you completed another novel. I am about 100 pages into "A Booke of Days" and enjoying it immensely. It is a great blend of historical details and engrossing plot.

The way you involve yourself in the premise of the book and set it up as an apparent work of non-fiction reminds me a little of another favorite novel of mine:

Edwin Mulhouse: The Life and Death of an American Writer, 1943-1954, by Jeffrey Cartwright.
                              A novel by Steven Millhauser.

Have you always been interested in history? It seems to be a big part of all of your projects.
                              I look forward to your new book. Any ideas when it will hit the bookstores?

Thanks. Yes, I am always drawn to historical subjects. History proivides a built-in structure for drama. The new book? If it is available in the spring I will be pleased. I'll let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Hietzing56:
                                Hello, Beethovenians - I've just found this group and am having a wonderful time "foraging." I'm a fan of the late works (I'm now listening to Missa Soleminises - Solemnisi?) and have been into the late quartets for a few years. My personal quirks regarding Beethoven's music are the oddities and transcriptions; things like his own arrangement of his Seventh Symphony for a group of 8 wind instruments (!) and the piano version of the Grosse Fuge, which I'm trying to find on CD. My big thrill from this group is learning about "Copying Beethoven." What with John Malkovich doing a film about Gustav Klimt, we should have a bumper crop of Viennese film biographies coming out within the year. Does anyone know how to contact Mr. Harris, by the way? I'm working on a documentary about the conductor Wilhelm Furtwangler and we're looking for a narrator! By way of introducion, I'm an artist and recently completed a large painting on the "theme" of Furtwangler conducting the Beethoven Ninth. It's probably one of the most irritatingly obscure things I've ever done. Okay, enough about me - does anyone know where to obtain a copy of Beethoven's death mask? Yes - it's for another painting; suddenly I'm in a Beethoven rut. I'm a die-hard Mahlerian but you know how these things go . . .

Copies of the death mask are usually for sale on Ebay. You can write to Ed care of CAA, 9830 Wilshire Boulevard, Beverly Hills, CA 90212.

Comment

Working...
                                X