Another Bach Festival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Bach Festival

Just when Bach fans may be getting apprehensive about the approaching end of the BBC’s ‘A Bach Christmas,’ another festival is starting so that the music will continue. At www.wkcr.org, a ten-day round-the-clock Bachfest began this morning and continues until 2 AM (EST) on New Year’s Day. This program is an annual presentation of WKCR-FM, the Columbia University student radio station in New York City. The 7 to 10-day festival has been broadcast at Christmas time for many years, and for the last several on the internet also. In contrast to the BBC marathon and to its own tradition, the WKCR festival this year presents Bach’s works in chronological order, beginning with his job as an organist at Weimar at the age of 18 and continuing to his death at Leipzig at the age of 65. To listen, go to wkcr.org and click on 'Live Broadcast.'
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Words fail to describe the musical achievements of J.S. Bach. Having just listened to the BBC over the past 10 days or so (and heard perhaps 50-60% of what they broadcast of his music) I can only think of a humorous situation where Bach himself, at the moment when the sounds of his umpteenth work of genius dies away after 10 whole days says to a potential employer -

'Well, did you like my music ? Do I get the job ? Would you like some more evidence of my small talent ?'

Regards and best wishes for the coming new year.

By the way, how about a futuristic sci-fi film in which Bach is sent to some remote planet as an ambassador of Earth to a conference of different worlds and as proof of Man's potential to do good ? He meets there other Bach-like representatives, all of which believe Music is superior to all other things in their worlds. And he (plus they) get involved in a great Fugue project to counter recent intergalactic rivalries and to ensure peace.

Such a film might be banned on the grounds that it criticises militarism (which it certainly would) though it could be both humorous and also awesome in its own way.

Regards

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by robert newman:

Words fail to describe the musical achievements of J.S. Bach. Having just listened to the BBC over the past 10 days or so (and heard perhaps 50-60% of what they broadcast of his music) I can only think of a humorous situation where Bach himself, at the moment when the sounds of his umpteenth work of genius dies away after 10 whole days says to a potential employer -

'Well, did you like my music ? Do I get the job ? Would you like some more evidence of my small talent ?'

Regards and best wishes for the coming new year.

By the way, how about a futuristic sci-fi film in which Bach is sent to some remote planet as an ambassador of Earth to a conference of different worlds and as proof of Man's potential to do good ? He meets there other Bach-like representatives, all of which believe Music is superior to all other things in their worlds. And he (plus they) get involved in a great Fugue project to counter recent intergalactic rivalries and to ensure peace.

Such a film might be banned on the grounds that it criticises militarism (which it certainly would) though it could be both humorous and also awesome in its own way.

Regards

Robert

I agree with you on Bach! Superb composer. With Bach the Baroque in music came to fulfillment. He was not only a learned musician when it came to his own music but also was a learned musician in all music.
      Regarding your sci-ci film, interesting concept, especially the peace aspect. If only...

------------------
      'Truth and beauty joined'
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
      X