Vivaldi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rod:
    Have you heard Handel's recorder sonatas?

Just took a listen to a couple of snippets of the recorder sonatas on Amazon. Simply beautiful. I ordered the completed sonatas.

Comment

Originally posted by jfienen25:
      Vivaldi gloria's is one of my favorite pieces to sing. I have sung both parts the bass and tenor. I think that he has some very cool music and some that are not. Did Vivaldi write any organ music. My dad does not think so but I do.

Vivaldi wrote at least 7 concertos in which the organ shares the soloist's part together with either the violin or the flute.

Comment

Originally posted by Teresa:
        I have not...more music to look into!

Ha then you have yet to hear the best recorder music! Join my site if you want to hear the best of Handel (see my profile here for the url).

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Just took a listen to a couple of snippets of the recorder sonatas on Amazon. Simply beautiful. I ordered the completed sonatas.
          Sorry, you HAVE heard the best recorder music. Which recording have you ordered?

------------------

Comment

Sorry, you HAVE heard the best recorder music. Which recording have you ordered?

Rod,

I purchased Handel: Complete Recorder Sonatas with Jaap ter Linden, on the Harmonia Mundi label. Good?

Comment

Have you heard Handel's recorder sonatas?

Yes, I have them. They're also very good.

Comment

This morning on the way to work I was listening to a CD I've just received by yet another of the baroque composers - Albinoni. I was listening to his oboe concerti, Op. 9. Very nice. Does anyone here like him? I haven't seen him mentioned.

Teresa

Comment

Ha then you have yet to hear the best recorder music! Join my site if you want to hear the best of Handel (see my profile here for the url).

I will definitely check out your site. Handel, along with Brahms, were really the first two composers I became acquainted with as I was just starting to really listen to classical music almost 20 years ago. But, it seemed that some of Handel's works were hard to come by other than the more well-known works such as the Messiah, Water Music and Royal Fireworks. I do have a couple of CDs of his concerti grossi as well as the others I mentioned, but that's about it. Now I have the recorder sonatas to look forward to.

Comment

This morning on the way to work I was listening to a CD I've just received by yet another of the baroque composers - Albinoni. I was listening to his oboe concerti, Op. 9. Very nice. Does anyone here like him? I haven't seen him mentioned.

Teresa
                    Hi Teresa, I enjoy listening to him too. I have his Opus 7 No. 3 in D Major Concerto for Oboe and Strings and quite like it. To me he sounds a bit like Corelli. I like his sound as I do the Baroque period in general. Here's a little background on him.
                    (1671-1751) He was the eldest son of a wealthy merchant, was born in Venice. At an early age, he became proficient in singing and especially in playing the violin. He soon started composing music. Albinoni lived and worked in Venice his whole life, and he visited the cities of Florence and Munich.

------------------
                    'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 12-05-2005).]
                    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                      Here's a little background on him.
                      (1671-1751) He was the eldest son of a wealthy merchant, was born in Venice. At an early age, he became proficient in singing and especially in playing the violin. He soon started composing music. Albinoni lived and worked in Venice his whole life, and he visited the cities of Florence and Munich.

Hi, Joy, and thanks for the background. All of you on the forum are so knowledgable, I don't know half of what you do and probably never will. It amazes me how all of you can remember the numbers of works and the movements of certain ones and quote them like it's nothing! All I know is that I like to listen and I have a collection that's growing almost daily, but that I'm still just scratching the surface. Frustrating! So many composers, so little time...

Comment

Rod,

I purchased Handel: Complete Recorder Sonatas with Jaap ter Linden, on the Harmonia Mundi label. Good?
                        I've seen this cd but haven't heard it, but if you like it you like it! I have the set by Dan Laurin (recorder), Hidemi Suzuki (cello), Masaaki Suzuki (harpsichord / organ) which is very good and a strong recommendation, with a reservation that on occasion too many extra notes are added here and there to my taste.

------------------

Comment

I will definitely check out your site. Handel, along with Brahms, were really the first two composers I became acquainted with as I was just starting to really listen to classical music almost 20 years ago. But, it seemed that some of Handel's works were hard to come by other than the more well-known works such as the Messiah, Water Music and Royal Fireworks. I do have a couple of CDs of his concerti grossi as well as the others I mentioned, but that's about it. Now I have the recorder sonatas to look forward to.
                          You can sample some of Handel's op2 trio sonatas when I upload them to my site on Saturday. the mp3 links there at the moment do not work as I needed to delete the files to gain space for other things.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                          X