Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven and his contemporaries

Greetings all --

Just thought I'd mention that I'm currently reading a book about B with recollections about him from the people that were intimate with him or somewhat acquainted with him. I'm sure most of you have probably read it but for those who haven't, it's fascinating reading. Getting little tidbits of his appearance at certains times of his life and reading about certain habits of his and situations that happened has been most enjoyable and entertaining. He truly was a complicated man, but from most accounts, endearing and true.

Is that the Sonneck book, Dover publications? Another entertaining book is the Robbins Landon documentary study, full of interesting anecdotes.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      Is that the Sonneck book, Dover publications? Another entertaining book is the Robbins Landon documentary study, full of interesting anecdotes.

Yes, it is. I actually found myself chuckling out loud at times while reading about some of the first impressions people had of him. I have the Landon book as well, which is next on my list to read.

Comment

I agree than Sonneck's 1926 compilation contains wonderful stuff... but I wonder why he edited out some of the best bits from Bettina von Arnim (nee Brentano)'s letters to Goethe - and why he thought his own English translation better than Bettina's own in "Goethe's Corespondence with a Child" - the child of course being Betina herself. If anyone's interested, I can post these, given that her bok is both rare and expensive.

Comment

Working...
        X