The Bach Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Bach Experience

BBC Radio 3 are repeating their round-the-clock experiment with a whole nine days of Bach this Christmas. One of the presenters is John Eliot Gardiner who has spent a year recording and researching the cantatas.
    In an article in BBC Music he states that Bach is the only composer with whom one could have spent a whole year. "The good manners of Mozart's style would grate with solitary confinement for a year (while) Beethoven would drive you round the twist."
    I thought this was a rather strange remark from a man who has himself recorded an acclaimed set of the symphonies and once described them as the raison d'etre of all musicians.
    If a year of Beethoven drives one "round the twist" then I (and most members of this website) must be certifiable.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael:
    BBC Radio 3 are repeating their round-the-clock experiment with a whole nine days of Bach this Christmas. One of the presenters is John Eliot Gardiner who has spent a year recording and researching the cantatas.
    In an article in BBC Music he states that Bach is the only composer with whom one could have spent a whole year. "The good manners of Mozart's style would grate with solitary confinement for a year (while) Beethoven would drive you round the twist."
    I thought this was a rather strange remark from a man who has himself recorded an acclaimed set of the symphonies and once described them as the raison d'etre of all musicians.
    If a year of Beethoven drives one "round the twist" then I (and most members of this website) must be certifiable.

Michael
    A year listening to Bach cantatas would drive me round the twist.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      A year listening to Bach cantatas would drive me round the twist.

By coincidence, I have been listening to Bach cantatas and to his Orgel-Buchlein steadily for a week or more now, and am not around the twist. Wanting more, actually.
      See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Working...
      X