Beethoven and Hitler.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven and Hitler.

how could beethoven react about hitler ideas?
    and what was Hitler's judgement of Beethoven?

Originally posted by waldstein:
    That's more a question for the Hitler Forum. By the way I've just uploaded some new mp3 tracks at my Handel Forum site: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/handelforum/

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

1. With utter revulsion. Why is this a question?

2. Who cares!

Comment

Originally posted by Droell:
        1. With utter revulsion. Why is this a question?

2. Who cares!

Let's not get so upset about this. Hitler was a bad man, but his interest in German culture and heritage makes his opinions of German composers interesting and relevent.

I don't know about Hitler's opinions on Beethoven but I know he did not particularly care for Schubert, not necessarily because of his music, but because of the way Schubert looked (strangely enough).

Comment

Originally posted by HaydnFan:

Let's not get so upset about this. Hitler was a bad man, but his interest in German culture and heritage makes his opinions of German composers interesting and relevent.

Okay, so one of the two questions have been resolved. On to the second: Why is Herr Hitler's opinion about German culture - which he did so much to destroy outright - of interest? I am genuinely curious.

Why not pair Richard Strauss & Hitler? Furtwangler & Hitler? They at least knew of each other.

[This message has been edited by Droell (edited 11-13-2005).]

Comment

how would beethoven have reacted to hitler's ideas?
            The first hypothetical question can best be answered by B's ultimate reaction to Napoleon... and we know that story all too well.

The second question can be attempted anecdotally... Not too long ago a radio station broadcast the preserved recording of a live concert of the 5th symphony done in Berlin in 1943. So the composer was highly tolerated and accepted by the regime of the time.

Parenthetically, an awful lot of coughing was heard in the background, which meant that the Berliners who attended that concert were by then in poor health.

------------------
            Must it be? It must be!
            Must it be? It must be!

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
              That's more a question for the Hitler Forum. /

Is there a Hitler forum? I'm afraid to look.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Ateach Asc:

The second question can be attempted anecdotally... Not too long ago a radio station broadcast the preserved recording of a live concert of the 5th symphony done in Berlin in 1943. So the composer was highly tolerated and accepted by the regime of the time.

Not really a solution. Do you know if the conductor was Furtwangler? He detested the Nazis. Presumably a great many other Berliners did, too.

The president of my country is a man who is increasingly compared to Hitler. Do I care for his opinion of George Gershwin? No. His actions have eliminated any interest I might have in him, his ideas, his opinions, or anything else about him.

(I can't seem to spell today.)

[This message has been edited by Droell (edited 11-13-2005).]

Comment

Originally posted by Ateach Asc:
                  The second question can be attempted anecdotally...
                  Or by analogy... during the Nazi era a number of composers fled Germany. These included Brecht, Dessau, Eisler, Hindemith, Schoenberg and Weill. Orf stayed behind as did Richard Strauss.

Knowing what we do of B's indomitable spirit and forceful character it is probably very possible that he too would have fled Germany had he lived in the nazi era.

------------------
                  There are many princes but only ONE Beethoven!
                  There are many princes but only ONE Beethoven!

Comment

Originally posted by stude_ham:

Knowing what we do of B's indomitable spirit and forceful character it is probably very possible that he too would have fled Germany had he lived in the nazi era.

Op. 81a: He stays behind, though cannons hurt his ears.

Comment

i'm not an antisemitic , but i like hitler's way of building a powerfull Germany, no one can deny that the man did a lot for his country,in addition all of us know that karajan and furtwangler who are the best interprets of beethoven were also nazi !

Comment

hey waldstein

first of all. I am greatly offeneded that you would even put hitler and beethoven in the same sentence. First of all hitler did nothing for germany but utterly destroy with his regime againist the jews. Have you even read anything about what hitler did to those people? I have and let me tell you it is not pretty.

I guess beethoven would have laughed at him and try to stay out of his way. If B were alive when hitler was around he would have been very appallued by the way he was treating his fellow man.

Hitler did try to keep the culture going with Wanger and other german composers at the time that felt the same way as he did. One of my dad teachers Jan Bender despised Hitler.

Comment

I don't think this topic is relevant to Beethoven discussion.

------------------
                          'Man know thyself'
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                          X