Szell Box Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Szell Box Set

Hi all -- I was poking around on Amazon and came across a box set of the 9 symphonies and 5 piano concertos performed by Cleveland under George Szell -- all for $30.99! It's an import, and I've been unable to find any information about it anywhere. It seems too good to be true. Does anybody know anything about this set?
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...ce&s=classical

Originally posted by mikemcc:
    Hi all -- I was poking around on Amazon and came across a box set of the 9 symphonies and 5 piano concertos performed by Cleveland under George Szell -- all for $30.99! It's an import, and I've been unable to find any information about it anywhere. It seems too good to be true. Does anybody know anything about this set?
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/d etail/-/B000683I8C/qid=1131653170/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-4683630-1875139?v=glance&s=classical
    The Cleveland Orchestra under George Szell was one of the best orchestras in the USA at that time. It was the only American orchestra to be invited yearly to give concert tours in the USSR.

You certainly can not go wrong with this box set.

Hofrat
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

I assume this is the Szell recording of the concertos with Leon Fleisher at the piano. If so, this set contains my favorite recordings of the symphonies and the concertos, and I definately suggest you buy it. I have a box set of the symphonies with some of the overtures, and a box set of the piano concertos with the Triple Concerto. It looks like they just took the symphonies and concertos from those and stuck them together in one box. I don't think you can go wrong with this set.

Of course, I have just ordered Zinman's recordings of the symphonies. I have only heard his 5th, but it blew me away. We shall see if he is able to bump Szell off as my favorite conductor of the symphonies...

Comment

Working...
      X