Schubert piano sonatas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pianoprodigy:
    I have played all the Schubert Sonatas and I think the last one is the best.
    Thanks for the reply. I have recently bought the Richter Tokyo recordings (including D784) and Uchida doing D840 and D894 but have not listened to them yet. What would you recommend for the D850? I would like to try and buy the cds gradually but accept your advice about listening to them all. Would you suggest Kempff for the complete set or is there a better modern alternative?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfgang:
      Thanks for the reply. I have recently bought the Richter Tokyo recordings (including D784) and Uchida doing D840 and D894 but have not listened to them yet. What would you recommend for the D850? I would like to try and buy the cds gradually but accept your advice about listening to them all. Would you suggest Kempff for the complete set or is there a better modern alternative?

No one answered! Well sorry about that but just in case any one new is out there who could help on recommendations for cds of the Schubert Piano Sonatas, here's Wolfgang asking again!

Comment

If we just stick to the 11 finished sonatas, then there are many fine complete sets on the market. Kempff's Schubert (DGG) is of course a classic, but - to tell you the truth - a bit outdated as well; too romantic and with tempi that are generally considered too slow (especially in the outer movements). He does play a few unfinished sonatas as an encore, though, and is of course considered to be the man who put Schubert's piano sonatas on the map. Zacharias' cycle (EMI) is very good (Schubert is very much his thing, as are Mozart and Beethoven as well) and quite inexpensive - like Damgaard's (Scandinavian Classics), although the latter never repeats the development sections, while Zacharias always does. They both play a very classical, Richter-esque Schubert, meaning they more or less allow the music to speak for itself. More "colourful" is Uchida (Philips), who is widely praised for her sensitive approach. A bit over-the-top for me, I prefer the French Schubert by Planès (HarmoniaMundi), to me the best cycle there is on the market (although some of the volumes have already been deleted again...). Something I referred to in an earlier posting is Schubert by Damerini (Arts), who seems to play every version of every single fragment Schubert left behind, and does so very beautifully - a shame only 6 cds have been released so far, and in this tempo it'll probably finish (if at all) around 2015 or something. Anyway, a good alternative to Zacharias is Endres, whose complete cycle has become something of a standard and has just been re-issued in a Capriccio box set.

Comment

Originally posted by Tegan:
          Hello! I was wondering if anyone here had played some of Schubert's piano sonatas. If so, which ones? What ones are your favourites? I'm working on D. 960 in B flat. That is also the one I like best, but all of them are beautiful. Thanks!
          Someone sent me all of Schubert's sonatas performed on period fortepianos. I regret that I have not found the time to listen to them. Maybe this thread will be the impetus I need to listen to them now.

Hofrat

"Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Would the Moments Musicaux fit into this discussion?

These 6 Schubert piano pieces are some of the most sublime music in the piano repertoire.

------------------
            There are many princes but only ONE Beethoven!
            There are many princes but only ONE Beethoven!

Comment

Originally posted by stude_ham:
              Would the Moments Musicaux fit into this discussion?

These 6 Schubert piano pieces are some of the most sublime music in the piano repertoire.

I consider the 3 late Klavierstücke to be even better, especially the one in e flat minor!

Comment

Originally posted by Geratlas:
                Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
                I agree with Peter, but there is also one worth of mentioning, the A minor D.854, there is something raw, rather visceral to that theme, which hasn't been recorded properly, IMHO, because no one takes it Alla Breve.
                This Sonata is no. 845 (and not 854) within the Deutsch catalog. This said just to avoid possible confusion.
                The 1825 sonatas are highly spirited, and yet the three last sonatas stand among Schubert's greatest achievements.
                An inspired sonata with drama worthy mid period Beethoven is in f# minor (D.625) .
                PS. I can do entirely without that irrelevant title 'Reliquie' for the Sonata (D.840) 'no.15'. DS.
                Well, "Reliquie" (D.840) is not really a sonata, it was instead probably a working draft for the "Gmunden-Gastein" symphony. It's sort-of like calling the Grosse Fuge a string quartet!

[This message has been edited by PDG (edited 11-05-2005).]

Comment

Originally posted by Raro:
                  If we just stick to the 11 finished sonatas, then there are many fine complete sets on the market.
                  I count 12. Perhaps you are not including the only 5-movement work, D.459 in E?
                  I was raised on the Ingrid Haebler set of the sonatas recorded through the 60s on Philips. Now available with other Schubert piano masterpieces in a 7-cd boxed set: Philips 456 367-2.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                    I agree with you about D.960 - sublime is the word that comes to mind. The last three sonatas reveal Schubert with his true voice, written in an incredible few weeks - an achievement comparable in my view to the last 3 Mozart symphonies. My Other Schubert sonata favourites are the G major D.894, the lovely A major D.664 and the A minor D.537.

I agree with all of this. Schubert himself premiered all three sonatas at a private gathering, the B flat having been completed just the previous day. Astonishing when we consider that he knew he was dying; also that his lack of pianistic virtuosity must have meant this was an immense personal undertaking. No contemporary account of these performances survives.......

[This message has been edited by PDG (edited 11-05-2005).]

Comment

Originally posted by PDG: Well, "Reliquie" (D.840) is not really a sonata, it was instead probably a working draft for the "Gmunden-Gastein" symphony.
                      Hmm... This seems indeed very plausible, my dear PaDoGi! May I ask what made you come to this conclusion since it is of interest to me. / G. sending over to you :::>
                      (ps. What would you call the Grosse Fuge if not a string quartet?)

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Geratlas:
                        Hmm... This seems indeed very plausible, my dear PaDoGi! May I ask what made you come to this conclusion since it is of interest to me. / G. sending over to you :::>
                        Huh? I don't understand you, Geratlas. That is my conclusion, sir!

(ps. What would you call the Grosse Fuge if not a string quartet?)
                        A quartet movement.

[This message has been edited by PDG (edited 11-06-2005).]

Comment

Originally posted by Raro:
                          If we just stick to the 11 finished sonatas, then there are many fine complete sets on the market. Kempff's Schubert (DGG) is of course a classic, but - to tell you the truth - a bit outdated as well; too romantic and with tempi that are generally considered too slow (especially in the outer movements). He does play a few unfinished sonatas as an encore, though, and is of course considered to be the man who put Schubert's piano sonatas on the map. Zacharias' cycle (EMI) is very good (Schubert is very much his thing, as are Mozart and Beethoven as well) and quite inexpensive - like Damgaard's (Scandinavian Classics), although the latter never repeats the development sections, while Zacharias always does. They both play a very classical, Richter-esque Schubert, meaning they more or less allow the music to speak for itself. More "colourful" is Uchida (Philips), who is widely praised for her sensitive approach. A bit over-the-top for me, I prefer the French Schubert by Planès (HarmoniaMundi), to me the best cycle there is on the market (although some of the volumes have already been deleted again...). Something I referred to in an earlier posting is Schubert by Damerini (Arts), who seems to play every version of every single fragment Schubert left behind, and does so very beautifully - a shame only 6 cds have been released so far, and in this tempo it'll probably finish (if at all) around 2015 or something. Anyway, a good alternative to Zacharias is Endres, whose complete cycle has become something of a standard and has just been re-issued in a Capriccio box set.
                          Thanks for this detailed response...I shall go away and investigate. I had been thinking of getting the Zacharias and now you've convinced me to do that.....

Comment

PDG. I do not give much for my 'conclusion'; it was obviously the word to use (not!?) , I will try my best to overcome. - The Grosse Fuge is a quartet movement, but what is the fault to call it 'string quartet' or if you please a 'quartet for strings'? There is differences to their meanings, yet they seem so slight when comparing to the difference between a piano sonata and a symphony draft.
                            My prime question was frankly; What do you know to reason that the so-called sonata D.840 "was instead probably a working draft for the "Gmunden-Gastein symphony"? I ask you since I find this theory not only very plausible but in relation to Schubert and his post illness artistry also highly significant; I hope you can relate to this mess(-age). / ati Geratlas benevolo

[This message has been edited by Geratlas (edited 11-11-2005).]

Comment

Working...
                            X