Schubert piano sonatas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schubert piano sonatas

Hello! I was wondering if anyone here had played some of Schubert's piano sonatas. If so, which ones? What ones are your favourites? I'm working on D. 960 in B flat. That is also the one I like best, but all of them are beautiful. Thanks!

I agree with you about D.960 - sublime is the word that comes to mind. The last three sonatas reveal Schubert with his true voice, written in an incredible few weeks - an achievement comparable in my view to the last 3 Mozart symphonies. My Other Schubert sonata favourites are the G major D.894, the lovely A major D.664 and the A minor D.537.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I agree with Peter, but there is also one worth of mentioning, the A minor D.854, there is something raw, rather visceral to that theme, which hasn't been recorded properly, IMHO, because no one takes it Alla Breve.

------------------
      "Wer ein holdes weib errungen..."
      "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
        I agree with Peter, but there is also one worth of mentioning, the A minor D.854, there is something raw, rather visceral to that theme, which hasn't been recorded properly, IMHO, because no one takes it Alla Breve.

Yes, although fine, it isn't a favourite of mine, same goes for the C major 'Relique'.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

This Sonata is no. 845 (and not 854) within the Deutsch catalog. This said just to avoid possible confusion.
          The 1825 sonatas are highly spirited, and yet the three last sonatas stand among Schubert's greatest achievements.
          An inspired sonata with drama worthy mid period Beethoven is in f# minor (D.625) .
          PS. I can do entirely without that irrelevant title 'Reliquie' for the Sonata (D.840) 'no.15'. DS.

Comment

Originally posted by Geratlas:
            This Sonata is no. 845 (and not 854) within the Deutsch catalog. This said just to avoid possible confusion.
            The 1825 sonatas are highly spirited, and yet the three last sonatas stand among Schubert's greatest achievements.
            An inspired sonata with drama worthy mid period Beethoven is in f# minor (D.625) .
            PS. I can do entirely without that irrelevant title 'Reliquie' for the Sonata (D.840) 'no.15'. DS.

oops , sorry .

p.s.: hey, the forum is taking multi-quote now, nice .
            edit: or not , lol.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rutradelusasa (edited 08-17-2005).]

Comment

Thanks for the input! I only have the sheet music for these sonatas, no recordings.Could anyone suggest a good artist for these pieces?

Comment

Originally posted by Tegan:
                Thanks for the input! I only have the sheet music for these sonatas, no recordings.Could anyone suggest a good artist for these pieces?
                There is a bargain box of Kempff now from DG, on that bargain edition "Collector's Edition", from which such wonders as the Gardiner's Bach set, the Richter's Bach set, the Böhm's Schubert set and many many other things came from.
                It's, IMHO, where you can't go wrong, on the overall point of view.

------------------

Comment

i thing that his best sonata is d.959 in A.
                  A great work.

Comment

Has anyone heard Clara Haskil? She was a pianist who, because of varying bouts of illness, had only more or less a ten-year career, in the fifties. She was considered a great interpreter by many conductors and critics. Her recording of the Schubert Bb sonata was for me a revelation. It can be found on Music & Arts CD-1059, along with performances of the Mozart Sonata K330 and the Beethoven Op. 31 No. 3.
                    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

A suggestion as to a performer to check out for the Schubert piano sonatas. I like Alfred Brendel's recording. I also like Andreas Schiff. I borrowed the box set of Kempff(sp?). I thought he massacred my favourite, D. 894.

Comment

Has anyone heard Richard Goode's recording of Sonata D. 960? How would you rate it in comparison to other versions?

Comment

Originally posted by Tegan:
                          Has anyone heard Richard Goode's recording of Sonata D. 960? How would you rate it in comparison to other versions?
                          No but I really like the Beethoven sonata recordings and the Mozart Piano Concertos.....I am planning on collecting the best of the Schubert Piano sonatas on cd. Obviously the last three are essential but which of the others should I listen to?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfgang:
                            No but I really like the Beethoven sonata recordings and the Mozart Piano Concertos.....I am planning on collecting the best of the Schubert Piano sonatas on cd. Obviously the last three are essential but which of the others should I listen to?

Before the cycle of the last 3 there is another cycle of 3, the first (and only) sonatas to be published during his lifetime:

- No. "16" in A minor, op.42, D.845
                            - No. "17" in D major, op.53, D.850
                            - No. "18" in G major, op.78, D.894

Another very fine and unexpectedly short and sunny sonata is no. "13" in A major, op.120, D.664, written during the same time (and in the same key) as the famous quintet for piano & double bass quartet. But really, all the Schubert piano sonatas are good, even most fragments have such melodic appeal that it's really worthwhile having recordings of them! The only sad thing, besides the fact that Schubert didn't finish half of his output in this field, is that the numbering is such a mess and a real complete recording has not yet been undertaken. (Well, ok, 1, but that's nowhere near finished...)

Comment

I have played all the Schubert Sonatas and I think the last one is the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X