Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I relate to Ludwig von Beethoven??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I relate to Ludwig von Beethoven??

One of my predecessors, Joanna Maria Goedemont,
    married 1st with Andreas Janssens, soldier, on the 16th November 1704. Her second marriage was
    on 3rd June 1721 with Gerardus van Beethoven;
    all in the area of Antwerp, Flanders, Belgium.
    Is Gerard related to Ludwig, and how??
    Joanna is a daughter of Balduinus and Maria
    Boecks, who married in Antwerp on the 4th of
    February 1680, Parish of St. Jacob. Balduinus is my first known fore father.

Take a look at the family tree page www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/familytree.html

If there is a connection it would probably come in at the generation of Beethoven's great-grandfather MICHEL VAN BEETHOVEN (1684 - 1749). The composer though was not directly descended from Gerardus van Beethoven.

I suggest you contact the Beethovenhaus in Bonn to see if they can be of further assistance to you.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I would love to know what (if any) more you know of Andreas Janssens’ service as a soldier. I would presume it was the War of the Spanish Succession. Being that part of Flanders, it is very possible he was on the French side OR on the Allied side. Do you know which? Do you have any other information? Regiment? Terms of discharge? Perhaps he died in service?

I am researching English“man” Mary Read – she is famous for becoming a Caribbean pirate after the war (captured 1720, died 1721). But she lived AS A MAN, fighting with the Flemish in the War of the Spanish Succession, settling for a time in Breda until after the war ended c.1715.

Even if there is no connection, I am very interested in your ancestor’s story as it provides some insight into the life & times of people in that theatre of war.

I am also, of course, very interested in the Beethoven connection. I am a full-time musician.

Comment

Working...
      X