On This Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On This Day!

1893 -- Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky, age 53, dies of cholera after drinking unboiled water during an epidemic in St. Petersburg (or was it a possible suicide)? What do you think?

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Originally posted by Joy:
    1893 -- Peter Ilich Tchaikovsky, age 53, dies of cholera after drinking unboiled water during an epidemic in St. Petersburg (or was it a possible suicide)? What do you think?

I heard it was forced suicide & I can hear that throughout his Pathetique symphony - by far his best, in my opinion. The third movement is downright creepy.

But I've also heard the drinking unboiled water story to be an urban legend, so it's open to debate. Perhaps T planned it that way?

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:

My feelings are inclined towards suicide. I think Tchaikovsky's attitude towards the 6th symphony are an indicator of what was to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

My feelings are inclined towards suicide. I think Tchaikovsky's attitude towards the 6th symphony are an indicator of what was to come.

Does this mean you've puzzled out the 3rd movement & cheer the orchestra on with gusto, right to the final bar? I still get chills when I hear that movement done really well.

Comment

Originally posted by Droell:

Does this mean you've puzzled out the 3rd movement & cheer the orchestra on with gusto, right to the final bar? I still get chills when I hear that movement done really well.
          I do not have the same reactions as you do towards the 3rd movement. However, the outer two movements, particularly the final I think are a good indicators of the impending tragedy.

Comment

Working...
          X