Youth works by Richard Wagner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youth works by Richard Wagner

I am not a Wagner fan, but there are two very unknown works from his youth (around the year 1835) which have wonderful passages which to me are very much influenced by Beethoven: I am talking about his symphony in C and his opera "Die Feen". To this opera I was listening today on my way from work (about 5 beautiful scenes I put on my MP3 player). Do you know these works? They spoke more to me than his latter famous works.

Gerd

Originally posted by gprengel:
    I am not a Wagner fan, but there are two very unknown works from his youth (around the year 1835) which have wonderful passages which to me are very much influenced by Beethoven: I am talking about his symphony in C and his opera "Die Feen". To this opera I was listening today on my way from work (about 5 beautiful scenes I put on my MP3 player). Do you know these works? They spoke more to me than his latter famous works.

Gerd
    Gerd,

You might want to try our mutual friend at the Unheard Beethoven website. I understand that he has realized some early Wagner sketches.

Hofrat

"Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by gprengel:

Gerd

Gerd;

There is a CD for auction on eBay featuring Wagner's piano sonatas!!

Hofrat

"Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Koch/Schwann has a cd out (multiple volumes; I only have volume 1) that covers the complete piano works of Wagner. It's ID number is 3-1361-2.

Also, EMI Classics has a CD featuring Wagner's Wesendonck-Lieder (arr. by Henze); Rienzi, Das Liebesverbot, and Faust overtures; and the E Major Symphony (one movement). The catalogue number is 7243 5 56165 2 4.

Comment

Working...
        X