Madness on a desert island or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Madness on a desert island or not?

Here is another topic in the psychology of the listener which I've been discussing on the 'Handel at the Holidays' thread. Many posters on this and other boards declare their preferences for a desert island. This one would be satisified with Beethoven, that one with another comnposer, etc., etc. Well, I must say there is NO composer I could be satisfied with on a desert idland, because after I've heard a work 30 or 40 times or so I am moe or less finished with it. I may listen to it enthusiastically again once or twice after a very long time, or find some moderate interest in a new interpretation, but the work holds essentially for me only a ghost of its original passion, like a bag of skin without the muscles and bones.

So that unless I had a very large library of new works I haven't heard, the desert island would mean madness for me. Also I could not exist only with music, no matter how much new great music there was. I would need other stimulation intellectual and emotional.

Is anyone else like this, or not? Or what?

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited 10-29-2005).]
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Originally posted by Chaszz:
    Here is another topic in the psychology of the listener which I've been discussing on the 'Handel at the Holidays' thread. Many posters on this and other boards declare their preferences for a desert island. This one would be satisified with Beethoven, that one with another comnposer, etc., etc. Well, I must say there is NO composer I could be satisfied with on a desert idland, because after I've heard a work 30 or 40 times or so I am moe or less finished with it. I may listen to it enthusiastically again once or twice after a very long time, or find some moderate interest in a new interpretation, but the work holds essentially for me only a ghost of its original passion, like a bag of skin without the muscles and bones.

So that unless I had a very large library of new works I haven't heard, the desert island would mean madness for me. Also I could not exist only with music, no matter how much new great music there was. I would need other stimulation intellectual and emotional.

Interesting post Chazz but I am not sure that I can agree with the experience of being “more or less finished” with a piece of music after thirty or forty listenings In fact I can’t think of any piece of great music that I have ever tired of. Probably the Tchaikovsky first piano concerto is the one piece that over the last fifty years I have heard more than any other. A relatively short while back I happened upon the Toscanini / Horowitz live recording from New York in the 1940’s My speakers caught fire as I listened , frankly spell bound It was like hearing the whole piece again for the first time

------------------
    Love from London
    Love from London

Comment

You wrote: "In fact I can’t think of any piece of great music that I have ever tired of."

Bolero. Pachelbel's Canon.

But I suppose the qualifier "great" means that any piece you do get tired of isn't great.

------------------
      Fate banging on the door with a jackhammer
      To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
      susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

Comment

My thing is Beehoven music. some stuff is just great. Even though we all have prefference in certain music, some stuff is just on another level. fOr example, in the handel thread, a lot of members were saying names i never even heard (the only one i'Ve heard of is Mozart). (i know I can look it up on the internet, but thats not my point) .

BUT: these guys (Haydn, Bach) and Handels one song that worldwide known , im sure that these musicians were genuses to some people, but if they were so great, then why dont their music connect with the people if music is so universal?? You will hear everybody from hip hop kids sampling Beethoven music to old college professors going to the opera to hear Miss Solemnis soprano voice. You see? It never goes out of style.

they don't get thier music known on a wide level like Beethove and Mozart. (although I have been listening to clips on the net of other people's stuff, i will keep my ears open to listen to ALL classical music). Thats my opinion for right now, it may change with more experrience - hey, i'm classy the virgin (aka Chris)

[This message has been edited by Classy_The_Virgin (edited 10-30-2005).]

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
          Also I could not exist only with music, no matter how much new great music there was. I would need other stimulation intellectual and emotional.

Quite, Chaszz. A beautiful woman may not sound like a symphony (esp. Charlotte Church) but then again you can't make love to a .....(complete your own punchline).

Comment

Working...
          X