• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authentic page mp3s - 'Archduke' piano trio Op.97

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Terrific stuff, Rod, thanks. I have a recording by the Beaux Arts Trio that runs over a full minute longer in this movement! I guess people interpret 'moderato' in different ways. My only other recording is the CBE version with Kempff, Szeryng and Fournier, which is much brisker at 13:20. The use of the fp probably brought more from the other two instruments, as they can appear weak by comparison in works such as these. Not here!

Are the notes from the actual sleeve notes? The writer - whoever he/she is - seems to be speaking through gritted teeth. At least the greatness of the work was acknowledged, anyway.

Thanks again!

Daz

------------------
    Seizing fate by the throat...

Comment

Originally posted by untamed_personality:
      Terrific stuff, Rod, thanks. I have a recording by the Beaux Arts Trio that runs over a full minute longer in this movement! I guess people interpret 'moderato' in different ways. My only other recording is the CBE version with Kempff, Szeryng and Fournier, which is much brisker at 13:20. The use of the fp probably brought more from the other two instruments, as they can appear weak by comparison in works such as these. Not here!

Are the notes from the actual sleeve notes? The writer - whoever he/she is - seems to be speaking through gritted teeth. At least the greatness of the work was acknowledged, anyway.

Thanks again!

Daz

The traditional idea of a Beethoven 'moderato' is too moderate to my mind so anything that has a little more zip is to be welcomed.

This is a pretty good performance, though it is performed in a church so the sound is a little 'grey' as a result. They play the scherzo too slow and omit the repeat of the trio alas. I didn't mention in the text that the piano here is an original model by Graf of Vienna from the 1820s.

I 'borrowed' the text from another website and didn't censor it other than a reference to Antonie Brentano being the 'Immortal Beloved'. To be honest I was in too much of a hurry to read it all properly.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 10-20-2005).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I've managed to read it properly and upon reflection it doesn't actually say a great deal about the music itself. The rather harshly put assesment in the text of the biographical aspects, well, it's not wholely incorrect but also doesn't give the whole picture. But never mind, my priority is getting the music out!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
          I've managed to read it properly and upon reflection it doesn't actually say a great deal about the music itself. The rather harshly put assesment in the text of the biographical aspects, well, it's not wholely incorrect but also doesn't give the whole picture. But never mind, my priority is getting the music out!

Absolutely, Rod, as it should be! My only problem with the text was a perceived one, just an impression I got. I don't doubt the biographical accuracy. As you say the music is the priority, and such great music (and great music-making) at that! Having listened to it again I noticed the vibrato was kept to a minimum, adding to the air of authenticity.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by untamed_personality:
            Having listened to it again I noticed the vibrato was kept to a minimum, adding to the air of authenticity.
            It adds to the purely aesthetic air too!

------------------

Comment

Working...
            X