Original manuscript of Grosse Fugue piano version found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael:
    I'm always getting confused about this: Beethoven wrote about half a dozen works for four hands, if you include the Grosse Fugue arrangement. The others are a short sonata, three marches and two sets of variations. Are all these to be played by two performers on one piano? Or is it two pianos?

Michael
    They are all for 2 performers on one piano. Customarily, "4 hands" is one piano. So is "duet". Most often, if it is for 2 pianos, that will be spelled out. Mozart wrote a few for two pianos, many more for "4 Hands". Schubert wrote a LOT for 4 hands.

------------------
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
      They are all for 2 performers on one piano. Customarily, "4 hands" is one piano. So is "duet". Most often, if it is for 2 pianos, that will be spelled out. Mozart wrote a few for two pianos, many more for "4 Hands". Schubert wrote a LOT for 4 hands.

Welcome back dear gurn , it's been awhile hasn't it.Regarding the Schubert, I've been playing his Marche Militaire in D major *the famous one* a few times with my teacher.What a lovely jolly piece to perform..I love it.

Comment

I have a weak spot for Schubert's four hand variations in A flat major!

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
          Welcome back dear gurn , it's been awhile hasn't it.Regarding the Schubert, I've been playing his Marche Militaire in D major *the famous one* a few times with my teacher.What a lovely jolly piece to perform..I love it.

Thanks you Ruud. Nice to "see" you again.

I too am very fond of that marche, but particularly of the fantasia in f minor D 940. This is a superb 4 hands work, Schubert at his best. If you don't have it, you should look into it. In fact, I think much of his 4 hand music rivals or even surpasses his solo works. Perhaps because he wrote them for pleasant company.
          Cheers,

------------------
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:

Glad to get that cleared up at last, Gurn.
            Thanks

Michael

Comment

Working...
            X