choral fantasy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

choral fantasy

can anyone please e mail me the english words to the Choral Fantasy of Beethoven

Thanks
    Hector

Originally posted by hector:
    can anyone please e mail me the english words to the Choral Fantasy of Beethoven

Thanks
    Hector
    try this url , you can find the lyrics in german and french (i hope that will be enough!) http://www.ac-bordeaux.fr/Pedagogie/...e/fantaisi.htm

Comment

Here are the words in English:

Beguiling, sweet, and beautiful is the sound of our life’s harmonies, and the awareness of beauty engender flowers, which bloom everlastingly. Peace and joy move in concord like the rhythm of the waves; all that is harsh and unfriendly is vanquished by delight. When the magical sound holds sway and the solemn words are spoken, magnificence must take shape. Night and storms turn to light. Outward peace and inward bliss reign for the fortunate ones. Yet the spring sunshine of the arts draws its light from both. Greatness, compelling in the heart, then blooms anew with fresh beauty. When the soul is exalted, a spirit chorus reverberates forever. Then, O noble spirits, joyfully take the gifts of high art. When love and power are united, Humanity is endowed with God’s grace

------------------
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by waldstein:
        Originally posted by hector:

Thanks
        Hector
        try this url , you can find the lyrics in german and french (i hope that will be enough!) http://www.ac-bordeaux.fr/Pedagogie/...e/fantaisi.htm

I can't read German, but a casual glance at the French confirms the English. Did you see the following at the end? My French was never good enough to translate, but the essence of this suggests that Beethoven wrote it for membership as a Mason (shades of other discussions I have seen here):

8Bien qu'ayant des amis francs-maçons, l'appartenance de Beethoven à la Franc-Maçonnerie est encore très controversée.

9Paris, Editions du Borrégo, Maçonniques, 1987 ; pp. 135-135.

Cette dernière oeuvre [la Fantaisie Op. 80] se présente comme un véritable poème symphonique décrivant l'initiation au premier grade. Le piano représente ici l'initié errant tout d'abord dans les ténèbres (longue introduction non mesurée, de tonalité incertaine) [mes. 1 à 26] puis découvrant les Initiés. Un dialogue entre le piano et l'orchestre suggère un échange de questions et réponses [mes. 27 à 52]. Des batteries ternaires des cors (auxquels répondent en écho les hautbois, puis en dernier le piano marquent l'entrée du profane dans la Lumière [mes. 53 à 60]10. Il lance alors le thème joyeux cher à Beethoven, qui le reprendra dans la IXe symphonie [mes. 60 et suivantes]. A la fin de l'oeuvre, un choeur mixte (symbole de l'Humanité toute entière) reprend ce thème dont le compositeur avait fourni les idées essentielles au poète. On y trouve, étroitement mêlés, des symboles maçonniques à peine voilés, et de généreuses formules humanitaires pour s'achever sur l'affirmation que: "Quand l'amour et la force s'unissent La faveur des dieux récompense l'homme."

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
          Here are the words in English:

Beguiling, sweet, and beautiful is the sound of our life’s harmonies, and the awareness of beauty engender flowers, which bloom everlastingly. Peace and joy move in concord like the rhythm of the waves; all that is harsh and unfriendly is vanquished by delight. When the magical sound holds sway and the solemn words are spoken, magnificence must take shape. Night and storms turn to light. Outward peace and inward bliss reign for the fortunate ones. Yet the spring sunshine of the arts draws its light from both. Greatness, compelling in the heart, then blooms anew with fresh beauty. When the soul is exalted, a spirit chorus reverberates forever. Then, O noble spirits, joyfully take the gifts of high art. When love and power are united, Humanity is endowed with God’s grace

After reading that I'm just going to have to go and listen to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

After reading that I'm just going to have to go and listen to it!
            I know what you mean!!

------------------

Comment

Sorrano, Sorrano, Sorrano, see to have it in a REALLY good performance-recording: Clarity and boldness at the same time, and I think you will find it impossible not to love this work. -- It is a steamer!!! (Well, that's simply my subjective opinion.) / G. wishes you Good luck... Not that you'll need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Geratlas:
                Sorrano, Sorrano, Sorrano, see to have it in a REALLY good performance-recording: Clarity and boldness at the same time, and I think you will find it impossible not to love this work. -- It is a steamer!!! (Well, that's simply my subjective opinion.) / G. wishes you Good luck... Not that you'll need it.

I have had the opportunity to see this live, and as well on TV. The TV performer was Rudolph Serkin, and I thought a marvelous performance at the time. I did have a composition teacher tell me he thought it was trash, but then he and I disagreed on several things. I think it is sublime.

Comment

... I did have a composition teacher tell me he thought it was trash, but then he and I disagreed on several things. I think it is sublime.
                  This doesn't surprise me, and I bet he thought he could do better. Can you tell me what music he did like?

------------------
                  "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                  http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

i think that the best interpretation of this work is the one made by Helene Griumaud with D.G isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                      This doesn't surprise me, and I bet he thought he could do better. Can you tell me what music he did like?

Yes. He liked BACH!!!! Surprised?

Comment

Yes. He liked BACH!!!! Surprised?
                        Not at all, not at all.

------------------
                        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Does anyone know of a free midi site where I can get the satb parts of the Choral Fantasy? My choir is looking for practise support.

Thanks, Evelyn

Comment

Originally posted by evizlee View Post
                            Does anyone know of a free midi site where I can get the satb parts of the Choral Fantasy? My choir is looking for practise support.

Thanks, Evelyn
                            I don't know if this site has it but you can check.

http://www.kunstderfuge.com/beethoven.htm

http://www.classicalarchives.com/beethoven.html
                            - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

The Schott Brothers published a very nice pocket score.
                              "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Working...
                              X