• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authentic page mp3s - String quartet Op.95 4th movt

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Thank you very much for this, Rod. This is a gorgeous piece of music, indeed the entire Quartet is beautiful. I thoroughly enjoyed this performance. I don't own any 'period' recordings of the Quartets, so I'll have to look into this ensemble.

Thanks again!

Daz

------------------
    Seizing fate by the throat...

Comment

Originally posted by untamed_personality:
      Thank you very much for this, Rod. This is a gorgeous piece of music, indeed the entire Quartet is beautiful. I thoroughly enjoyed this performance. I don't own any 'period' recordings of the Quartets, so I'll have to look into this ensemble.

Thanks again!

Daz

Although this track is nice, I can't say I can recommend the CD overall. Their rendition of Op74 is poor apart form the scherzo. And the op135 too apart from the first movement. Their tempi are typically on the slow side throughout. That of the op135 scherzo is bizarrely slow!

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 10-04-2005).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        Although this track is nice, I can't say I can recommend the CD overall. Their rendition of Op74 is poor apart form the scherzo. And the op135 too apart from the first movement. Their tempi are typically on the slow side throughout. That of the op135 scherzo is bizarrely slow!

Thanks, Rod. I suppose you get that sometimes. It can be infuriating! As I'm sure you've said before, we're only just beginning to learn how to perform this music properly.

------------------

Comment

Terrific playing.

But I cannot help thinking of the cats when I hear "authentic" strings. Rod allayed my concerns somewhat once when he said that the guts were not the only things the cats were being used for. But come to think of it, what else would be used? And would Beethoven, with his progressive attitude, really want cats to be used today, when synthetic means are available?

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
            Terrific playing.

But I cannot help thinking of the cats when I hear "authentic" strings. Rod allayed my concerns somewhat once when he said that the guts were not the only things the cats were being used for. But come to think of it, what else would be used? And would Beethoven, with his progressive attitude, really want cats to be used today, when synthetic means are available?

I'm sure the term 'catgut' is a misnomer and actually refers to the entrails of a sheep. Having worn woolly gloves and eaten lamb chops, I'm not going to lose any sleep myself!

------------------

Comment

I'm sure the term 'catgut' is a misnomer and actually refers to the entrails of a sheep. Having worn woolly gloves and eaten lamb chops, I'm not going to lose any sleep myself!

Ditto. The animals were not killed for the sole purpose of music making, this is making good use of material that I suppose would otherwise be thrown away...or made into burgers...

------------------

Comment

Thanks, Rod. I suppose you get that sometimes. It can be infuriating! As I'm sure you've said before, we're only just beginning to learn how to perform this music properly.

Can't they read the score and understand the Italian? I suggest it is the simple vanity on the part of the performers, nothing more, nothing less. So often they think they can improve on perfection, only to be found seriously wanting.

------------------

Comment

One positive note I can add about this CD is the sparing use of vibrato throughout. The dark quality of Op.95 always bring to my mind thoughts of the Hungarian musical style, especially the diabolic dance in the finale.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 10-09-2005).]

Comment

Dear Rod , I have not been able to download any of your files myself, but heavens be praised, a friend of mine saw to download the recently presented excerpt from the 7th symphony. Extraordinary delicate interpretation, and well recorded, too. Not that it concerns me directly, I wonder whether you are optioning mp3's for opp. 90 and 94, as I observed they are not yet represented here. - You will have to excuse, but I don't care the least whether you are born nobleman, as long as you act as noble as you do, you deserve every credit for it. -/ Sinc. G.

[This message has been edited by Geratlas (edited 10-09-2005).]

Comment

Originally posted by Geratlas:
                      Dear Rod , I have not been able to download any of your files myself, but heavens be praised, a friend of mine saw to download the recently presented excerpt from the 7th symphony. Extraordinary delicate interpretation, and well recorded, too. Not that it concerns me directly, I wonder whether you are optioning mp3's for opp. 90 and 94, as I observed they are not yet represented here. - You will have to excuse, but I don't care the least whether you are born nobleman, as long as you act as noble as you do, you deserve every credit for it. -/ Sinc. G.

[This message has been edited by Geratlas (edited 10-09-2005).]
                      I posted op90 so you must have missed it. I don't have an authentic version of op94. The next few tracks will be op 96, 97, 98, 101.

------------------

Comment

Rod, Thank you very much !!
                        This track is beautifull.

At this time I'm looking for recordings of
                        the string Quartets "Rasumovsky", op.59
                        Is it included also at this cd ?

I have read that a good one is that of the Emerson Quartet released by Deutsche Grammophon .

I would like to know your opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by tinaki:
                          Rod, Thank you very much !!
                          This track is beautifull.

At this time I'm looking for recordings of
                          the string Quartets "Rasumovsky", op.59
                          Is it included also at this cd ?

I have read that a good one is that of the Emerson Quartet released by Deutsche Grammophon .

I would like to know your opinion.
                          There is no music from the Razumovsky Quartets on this CD, it has Op74, 95 and 135. I have two authentic renditions of op.59 no3 but these are not readily available. I have op59 by the Lindsay quartet which on the whole are very good and suffice for me until a decent authentic set arrives. Sorry but I haven't heard the Emerson recordings.

------------------

Comment

Actually the Emerson Quartet don't use period instruments. The perfomance from the
                            Lindsay Quartet should be quite good.
                            By the way, do you know the Fonzaley Quartet ?

Comment

Originally posted by tinaki:
                              Actually the Emerson Quartet don't use period instruments. The perfomance from the
                              Lindsay Quartet should be quite good.
                              By the way, do you know the Fonzaley Quartet ?
                              I know the Emerson are not 'authentic', the Lindsay also. But in this less than perfect context the Lindsay are good for the large part of op59, though sometimes they get sloppy, especially with some of B's other quartets. And their first violin can sound a bit excessive at times.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X