German Dances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Dances

I've run across a piano album (published by G. Schirmer) of Beethoven German Dances that is arranged by Isidor Seiss. Questions that I have are, 1) has anyone else played/seen this? and 2) Does anyone know which dances have been arranged--that is what are the original dances?

Good day to you, Sorrano!
    1) No, I have not seen this album. None the less G.(=Gustav) Schirmer (1829-93) founded his publishing house in New York in 1866, so it seems plausible that Seiss had GA as it source to make the arrangements. Of Seiss I know zero. Perhaps someone else will tell us...
    2) Since the original German dances, you ask for, are not to be for the pianoforte, the 12 German dances from 1795 (woo8) would be the only plausible candidate. LvB had these transcribed for pf himself about the same time (Hess100) but I do not think they were publicly available until into the 20th century.
    / sinc. G.

Comment

Originally posted by Geratlas:
      Good day to you, Sorrano!
      1) No, I have not seen this album. None the less G.(=Gustav) Schirmer (1829-93) founded his publishing house in New York in 1866, so it seems plausible that Seiss had GA as it source to make the arrangements. Of Seiss I know zero. Perhaps someone else will tell us...
      2) Since the original German dances, you ask for, are not to be for the pianoforte, the 12 German dances from 1795 (woo8) would be the only plausible candidate. LvB had these transcribed for pf himself about the same time (Hess100) but I do not think they were publicly available until into the 20th century.
      / sinc. G.

Thank you! I will check that out.

Comment

Working...
      X