Hi!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi!

Hello! Scrolling around, I saw someone introducing himself a little further below. Since I joined you half an hour or so ago, let me introduce myself as well: I'm a 21 year old classical music student from the Netherlands (that's somewhere between Germany, France and the U.K...), and I work in a store that sells classical music. My interests are classical music, shopping for classical cd's and reading (on music...). Yes, I would call myself a fanatic.

Anyway, although I'm a huge Beethoven fan (I have a problem taking people who deny his importance seriously, lol), and although he''ll never be my no. 1, I'm sure I can talk along with you people; it's good there are places like this, anyway!

Sorry about the first sentence of the 2nd paragraph, that came out rather wrong! English is not my native tongue, but I'm sure you don't mind!

Comment

Hi and welcome Raro. Grüß Gott aus Wien. Glad you found us here. Just out of curiosity, you mentioned that "although I'm a huge Beethoven fan (I have a problem taking people who deny his importance seriously, lol), and although he''ll never be my no. 1", who is your number one favorite composer? I promise you we won't hold that against you. Now even though Beethoven is my #1 choice, Mozart comes a very close second, or sould I say that he's pretty much in a tie with Beethoven in my books.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

------------------
      "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly."
      - Beethoven 1804.
      "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Welcome Raro - I agree with Hollywood, you have to reveal your no.1!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Raro:
          Hello! Scrolling around, I saw someone introducing himself a little further below. Since I joined you half an hour or so ago, let me introduce myself as well: I'm a 21 year old classical music student from the Netherlands (that's somewhere between Germany, France and the U.K...), and I work in a store that sells classical music. My interests are classical music, shopping for classical cd's and reading (on music...). Yes, I would call myself a fanatic.

Anyway, although I'm a huge Beethoven fan (I have a problem taking people who deny his importance seriously, lol), and although he''ll never be my no. 1, I'm sure I can talk along with you people; it's good there are places like this, anyway!
          ahha...weer een nederlands lid in de gelederen ...another dutch person...good to see that the Netherlands are being represented aswell on this magnificent...I haven't been posting a lot recently but still have read every bit of information I could.

Regards,
          Ruud from limburg to be precise.

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:
            ahha...weer een nederlands lid in de gelederen ...another dutch person...good to see that the Netherlands are being represented aswell on this magnificent...I haven't been posting a lot recently but still have read every bit of information I could.

Regards,
            Ruud from limburg to be precise.
            Hey I've got a bit of Dutch blood in me too (but not much, but I'm about 1/8th I think)

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 10-07-2005).]
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
              Hey I've got a bit of Dutch blood in my too (but not much, but I'm about 1/8th I think)

Me, too Rod - also some German. My ancestors hail from the Baden region. I love the possibility that they might have strolled in some of the places B did.

Comment

Welcome, Raro! And if I am not mistaken, Beethoven's roots are very Dutch!

Comment

My nr. 1 is and will always be Schubert; for me it's really impossible to come to terms with his genius, although everything is open to debate, I suppose...

Beethoven comes in third, and I suppose the sheer power of his music will prevent him from ever falling out of my top 3.

Beethovens roots are actually Flemish, I believe. But a composer who was born a dutchman, believe it or not, is César Franck! Of course the Dutch have not really excelled in composing classical music (although we do have a rich/high performing history/standard), but there are a few composers that are really worthwhile. Most people've heard of Sweelinck, but someone who's music I adore is Julius Röntgen, the Dutch Brahms. this year we celebrate his 150th birthday and a few new cd's with his music have just been released - a real treat for those into late Romantic music!

Anyway, I'm not a nationalist or anything... lol!

P.S. Dag Ruud, is Limburg nog wel NL? Groeten uit Amsterdam!

Comment

My nr. 1 is and will always be Schubert; for me it's really impossible to come to terms with his genius, although everything is open to debate, I suppose...

Beethoven comes in third, and I suppose the sheer power of his music will prevent him from ever falling out of my top 3.

Beethovens roots are actually Flemish, I believe. But a composer who was born a dutchman, believe it or not, is César Franck! Of course the Dutch have not really excelled in composing classical music (although we do have a rich/high performing history/standard), but there are a few composers that are really worthwhile. Most people've heard of Sweelinck, but someone who's music I adore is Julius Röntgen, the Dutch Brahms. this year we celebrate his 150th birthday and a few new cd's with his music have just been released - a real treat for those into late Romantic music!

Anyway, I'm not a nationalist or anything... lol!

P.S. Dag Ruud, is Limburg nog wel NL? Groeten uit Amsterdam!

Now you must tell us who your No. 2 is....
                    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

I agree chaszz!! Raro, who is number 2?

------------------
                      'Truth and beauty joined'
                      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Beethovens roots are actually Flemish, I believe. But a composer who was born a dutchman, believe it or not, is César Franck!

Well Schubert is also one of my favourite composers - the works of his last years are astonishing in their emotional depth and Grillparzer's epitaph always comes to mind!

Yes Beethoven's ancestors were Flemish from the Brabant region. I'm not sure the Belgiums would agree with your Dutch claim for Franck who was born at Liege in 1822 (then temporarily under Dutch control) - there are sites that claim he was French! There is an interesting Beethoven connection - Franck's teacher in Paris was Anton Reicha who was a friend of Beethoven's at Bonn.

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

The death of Schubert at the early age of 31 is a tragedy comparable to the early death of Keats. However in both cases the simply staggering volume of work left behind is testament to their respective genius.

I still wouldn't put him above Beethoven, though! B is obviously #1 for me, closely followed by Mozart and then, perhaps bizarrely, Dvorak! Rod's winning me over and then some with Handel, however...

Each to their own, Raro. Who's your #2?

------------------
                          Seizing fate by the throat...
                          Seizing fate by the throat...

Comment

Raro, you might be interested in this news item:

GOODE'S SCHUBERT ROLLS OVER BEETHOVEN!
                            By Marc Shulgold, Rocky Mountain News
                            October 6, 2005

What was billed as an evening of Beethoven piano sonatas became something quite different and unexpected on Wednesday in Gates Concert Hall, when Richard Goode changed his mind.
                            At the last minute, the renowned pianist decided to divide his Friends of Chamber Music recital into all-Beethoven and all-Schubert. As it turned out, Schubert stole the show.
                            Any keyboard fan will tell you that the composer's B-flat Sonata (Opus posth.) stands as one of music's most sublime and mysterious masterworks. It lives up to Schumann's famous description of Schubert's "heavenly length," but never outlasts its welcome. Indeed, time becomes irrelevant as we are pulled deeper and deeper into a world of glorious melody and endless, dramatic twists. It is monumental, and monumentally difficult to pull off.

Goode was in command at every step. A stunning performance.

One up for Schubert!
                            Michael

Comment

You'll hate me, lol, but I'm not ashamed of my choice; my no. 2 is Schumann!

So that makes:

1) Schubert

...a whole lot of nothing...

2) Schumann
                              3) Beethoven

Not far behind are Mozart, Mendelssohn, Brahms, Dvorák and Tchaikovsky. But I think that's given. Your top-3s?

Comment

Working...
                              X