On This Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On This Day!

October 8th, 1585 -- German sacred music composer, court organist, and conductor Heinrich Schutz is born in Kostritz. Schutz served as a link between the Italian culture of Palestrina and the Germanic culture of Bach.
    Anyone familiar with his works and would like to comment on them and this composer?

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'
    'Truth and beauty joined'

i have heard some italian madrigals and it was pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
      October 8th, 1585 -- German sacred music composer, court organist, and conductor Heinrich Schutz is born in Kostritz. Schutz served as a link between the Italian culture of Palestrina and the Germanic culture of Bach.
      Anyone familiar with his works and would like to comment on them and this composer?

Quite familiar over here (in Holland). He was one of the greatest masters of the Baroque, and his Weinachts-Historie surely stands among the most inspired of such works. He also wrote many vocal symphonies, called "Sinfoniae Sacrae". A Dutch label have started issuing his complete works - 10 cd's (2 sets) have already been released. When I still was "into" Baroque, I used to listen to his works quite a lot.

Comment

Working...
      X