Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 Sonatinas

Dear Forum;

I am home and close to my sources (although I surprised myself for being as accurate as I was while I was away).

I refer you to the beautiful edition entitled:

Beethoven: 7 Sonatinas for the piano
    Maurice Hinson, editor
    Alfred Publishing Company
    Van Nuys, California 1986

The sonatinas are as follows:

Eb major WoO 47/1 "Elector"
    F minor WoO 47/2 "Elector"
    D major WoO 47/3 "Elector"
    F major WoO 50
    C major WoO 51
    G major Anhang 5/1
    F major Anhang 5/2

The editor writes:

"The "Elector" sonatinas were written in 1782-3 and are remarkable works for a young teenager. C.P.E. Bach's influence hovers over them. Beethoven already begins to display strong hints of his future formalistic developement.

"WoO 50 was composed between 1788-90 for his friend Franz Wegeler. The unique aspect in this piece is that Beethoven wrote the fingering for him. Beethoven's fingering seems awkward and complicated, but it shapes the sound. Experimenting has proven that the listener can differentiate Beethoven's fingering from another's fingering.

"WoO 51 was composed in 1791-2 and is as masterful as any of the opus 2 sonotas. The 2nd movement was left unfinished at the recapitulaion and was completed by Ries (only 10 bars).

"The Anhang 5 sonatinas' authenticity are questioned and were published after Beethoven's death when his name ensured their sale. They are strong enough to deserve the benefit of the doubt."

Hofrat
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Thanks for that Hofrat. The first 5 mentioned though are referred to as Sonatas in every edition I've seen and indeed WoO47 were published as the Electoral sonatas.

There are however two other sonatinas for pf and mandolin WoO43 and WoO44a.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

There's no valid reason (on musical grounds, at least!) to label the "Electoral sonatas" as anything less than sonatas. (So why's the need to consistently separate them from the main '32 Sonatas'???) The 2 'Sonatas' Opus 49, are less 'Sonata' and more 'Sonatina' any way. / G. sending over to you

Comment

Originally posted by Geratlas:
        There's no valid reason (on musical grounds, at least!) to label the "Electoral sonatas" as anything less than sonatas. (So why's the need to consistently separate them from the main '32 Sonatas'???) The 2 'Sonatas' Opus 49, are less 'Sonata' and more 'Sonatina' any way. / G. sending over to you

It's true that the op.49 sonatas were written much earlier than they were published. Personally, I'm fond of the three Kurfürstensonaten! In the booklet accompanying "Volume 6: Piano Works" in the "Complete Beethoven Edition" (by Deutsche Grammophon) I've read that the only reason for those sonatas not to be counted along with the rest, is simply that they were published in Bonn, before Beethoven left for Vienna (where he himself started counting all over from opus 1).

Comment

Working...
        X