Sonatina in G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonatina in G

Hi, everyone, this is my first time posting on this board. I have a question, I am sure you experts can answer. I have been trying to track down a piece by Beethoven ("Sonatina for Piano in G") but can't find anything about it or any recordings. Can anyone help me? Is it normally under a different name? Thanks!

Originally posted by HaydnFan:
    Hi, everyone, this is my first time posting on this board. I have a question, I am sure you experts can answer. I have been trying to track down a piece by Beethoven ("Sonatina for Piano in G") but can't find anything about it or any recordings. Can anyone help me? Is it normally under a different name? Thanks!

I recall an LP called "the art of the sonatina" that featured, amongst others, the sonatinas in G and F of Beethoven. The sheet music of all 7 Beethoven sonatinas should be available at any good music store.

Hofrat
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat:

I recall an LP called "the art of the sonatina" that featured, amongst others, the sonatinas in G and F of Beethoven. The sheet music of all 7 Beethoven sonatinas should be available at any good music store.

Hofrat
      Hofrat, I'm not aware of 7 Beethoven sonatinas - even the two well known ones in F & G are now considered to be spurious. Do you have any more info on these other sonatinas?

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        Hofrat, I'm not aware of 7 Beethoven sonatinas - even the two well known ones in F & G are now considered to be spurious. Do you have any more info on these other sonatinas?

I think I have these 'spurious' pieces on CD. Though not significant pieces, I must say they could pass for Beethoven to my ears.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

Hi Peter;

Unfortunately, I will not be home for a few days and therefore I am far from my sources. As I recall, I bought the sheet music of the 7 Beethoven sonatinas for my son who was studying piano then. The 7 sonatinas included the 3 "Elector sonatinas (WoO 47 I believe)," 2 sonatinas (WoO 50 or 51 I believe), and the 2 spurious sonatinas that you mentioned.

I have the sheet music at home and as I recall they had extensive texts. I will be more than happy to devulge the texts to the forum upon my return home on Thursday. One comment from the texts I remember distinctly. It said with regards to one of the WoO 50/51 sonatinas that Beethoven wrote the fingering of the entire 1st movement. This is a unique example of Beethoven's playing technique.

So, Peter, remind me on Thursday and I will write at length.

Hofrat

Comment

I was more interested in recordings. Is there any that you know of, specifically? Anything I should search under? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by HaydnFan:
              I was more interested in recordings. Is there any that you know of, specifically? Anything I should search under? Thanks!
              There is a recording I have of all the music discussed in this chain, by Jeno Jando on Naxos.

------------------

Comment

Naxos 8.550255 contains the three Elector sonatas ( I think they should be given the status of sonata, not sonatina, as they are substantial, three-movement works), two sonatinas in G and F (which may or may not be genuine), a fragment of a sonata in C completed by Ferdinand Ries and the Pastoral sonata. Good performances and great value.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                  There is a recording I have of all the music discussed in this chain, by Jeno Jando on Naxos.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:

I have the Elector sonatas performed on a period forte piano by Malcolm Bilson.

Hofrat

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat:

I have the Elector sonatas performed on a period forte piano by Malcolm Bilson.

Hofrat
                      I have those too, part of a complete sonatas set on fp by various performers including Bilson, which are on the whole not very good.

I listened again to the 'dubious' sonatinas (Anh 5, 1 & 2) and they still sound Beethovenian to me, no 2 has some especially nice touches. WoO51 I like very much.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
                        Naxos 8.550255 contains the three Elector sonatas ( I think they should be given the status of sonata, not sonatina, as they are substantial, three-movement works), two sonatinas in G and F (which may or may not be genuine), a fragment of a sonata in C completed by Ferdinand Ries and the Pastoral sonata. Good performances and great value.

Michael

I totally agree.

With respect to the Elector's Sonatas, Barry Cooper writes:

"These are full-sized, three-movement sonatas, and impressive by any standards; for a twelve-year-old they are astonighing. . . ."

Comment

Working...
                        X