• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authentic page mp3s - Symphony no.8 op.93 - 1st movt

Now available to members at www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

WOW! That was fantastic! What a performance, the very best I've heard without doubt. The textures were clear, the dynamics were exhilarating, the tempo just right: this was truly "vivace e con brio"!

I'm going to listen to it again, only at double the volume!

Thanks, Rod!

Daz

Edit: Well, I've just listened to it again. It was even better! What comes through more than anything is the sheer Beethovenian POWER. Awesome. Is it any wonder, when you hear a performance like this, that B thought so highly of this piece? Just glorious, I cannot thank you enough, Rod. I just hope I can find a copy somewhere!

------------------
    Seizing fate by the throat...

[This message has been edited by untamed_personality (edited 09-20-2005).]

Comment

Originally posted by untamed_personality:
      WOW! That was fantastic! What a performance, the very best I've heard without doubt. The textures were clear, the dynamics were exhilarating, the tempo just right: this was truly "vivace e con brio"!

I'm going to listen to it again, only at double the volume!

Thanks, Rod!

Daz

Acutely observed. These are all the things I expect (though don't always quite receive!) from the 'authentic' approach.

This CD is excellent on the whole and the boxed set (9 symphonies and a few overtures), now reissued on Virgin Classics is a bargain - In HMV here in UK you can get it for £9.99. I bought the original 2 & 8 only CD on its original (EMI) release for £15 many years ago! The standard across this set is not always so high but I think you can say the same for every set currently available.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        Acutely observed. These are all the things I expect (though don't always quite receive!) from the 'authentic' approach.

This CD is excellent on the whole and the boxed set (9 symphonies and a few overtures), now reissued on Virgin Classics is a bargain - In HMV here in UK you can get it for £9.99. I bought the original 2 & 8 only CD on its original (EMI) release for £15 many years ago! The standard across this set is not always so high but I think you can say the same for every set currently available.

Thanks for that, Rod. I'll have a look for that set. I can only imagine how good the finale is! As you can see I've edited my post. Thanks again.

Comment

Yes I thoroughly enjoyed this lively performance - I've always loved the 8th anyway and have never quite understood its comparative neglect. I'll also be looking out for this set to add to the collection!

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

In HMV here in UK you can get it for £9.99.
            I've just ordered it for £9.90 including P&P on Amazon UK!

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Lovely, lovely. I read that Symphony 8 was poorly reviewed, and friends asked Beethoven why it was so, and he said "they didn't understand it."

------------------
              Fate banging on the door with a jackhammer
              To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
              susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

Comment

Thanks for that, Rod. I'll have a look for that set. I can only imagine how good the finale is! As you can see I've edited my post. Thanks again.
                The finale is very good, but on this occasion Gardiner is even more electric and is my marginal favourite of the two for this movement, though I think I prefer Norrington's overall.

PS I have just uploaded more authentic music at my Handel site, from the trio sonatas Op.2. Check it out; http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/handelforum/

------------------

Comment

This is an Eighth with a shave and a haircut compared to the more ponderous versions of my misspent youth. It is very delightful and convincing, although some of those older versions were also when they had a suitably brisk tempo. But they were never as beautifully transparent as this is.

The contrast between the Seventh and Eighth symphonies is often spoken of as if Beethoven had planned it, for effect or as philosophic statement or whatever. No one mentions that in the deep recesses of the heart where works begin, he may have needed such a contrast in order to regenerate and move forward. That it may have been spiritual, psychological or emotional necessity (whichever term one prefers) rather than planning or design that brought it about.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited 09-23-2005).]
                  See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:

The contrast between the Seventh and Eighth symphonies is often spoken of as if Beethoven had planned it, for effect or as philosophic statement or whatever. No one mentions that in the deep recesses of the heart where works begin, he may have needed such a contrast in order to regenerate and move forward. That it may have been spiritual, psychological or emotional necessity (whichever term one prefers) rather than planning or design that brought it about.
                    This may be so, but there are also obvious commercial reasons for offering diversity, though I accept it seems part of Beethoven's nature this quest for originality in his output. However i believe the 7th and 8th were part of a planned triptych, but the 9th was put on hold. In this case it seems logical to have the 'middle' 8th as a contrasting piece, as Beethoven had done with other 'sets of 3' he produced.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-23-2005).]

Comment

My set has just arrived and I was wondering which pieces you consider Norrington does the best and which worst? I had a very very brief listen this morning (30 secs of some of them!) and my impressions so far are a good 2nd, 4th and 1st movt of the 5th.

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                        My set has just arrived and I was wondering which pieces you consider Norrington does the best and which worst? I had a very very brief listen this morning (30 secs of some of them!) and my impressions so far are a good 2nd, 4th and 1st movt of the 5th.

Off the top of my head my favorites from this boxed set are no's 2, 3, 6 and 8.

------------------

Comment

I have also received my Norrington set and, having heard the first two discs, I'm impressed so far. Wonderful accounts of the first two and the Eighth. The Eroica is startling, especially the tempo in the finale.

The highlight so far for me, though, is the Prometheus overture. Electrifying! Fittingly for such a subject it's played with real fire.

Daz

------------------

[This message has been edited by untamed_personality (edited 09-29-2005).]

Comment

The highlight so far for me, though, is the Prometheus overture. Electrifying! Fittingly for such a subject it's played with real fire.

Daz

The overture is good but why not get the whole ballet on period instruments by Frans Bruggen with the Orchestra of the C18th on the Phillips label. This is really good.

One the subject of period instruments my CD of the Diabelli variations by Paul Komen finally arrived from France. Firstly I opened the case to see a pic of the Graf piano from the Beethoven Haus and realised it's not the one posessed by Beethoven. Firstly it has the original legs, cylindrical columns, whereas Beethoven's has had them replaced by later more ornate ones. Secondly this Graf has more pedals than B's.

But never mind, it's an original and it sounds fantastic on this recording. The sound and performance is vastly superior to the recent release on Naxos. As I expected Komen makes the instrument shine in the more dynamic and/or noisy numbers, of which there are a few in this piece. Here the modern piano is no competition to what the Graf can do.

However all is not perfect, my benchmark for the interpretation of this music is my CD by Bernard Roberts (Nimbus)- every variation is judged to my taste in tempo and phrasing, though the theme he plays way too slow for a vivace. Compared to this Komen is frequently either a little too fast or two slow and Roberts sometimes is a better judge of the character Beethoven wants from the piece, though his piano cannot compete with the Graf (but the Nimbus sound is excellent too).

As with other recordings I have by Komen he is better in the dynamic numbers. Jos van Immerseel is better for the more poetic side of Beethoven.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 10-04-2005).]

Comment

The overture is good but why not get the whole ballet on period instruments by Frans Bruggen with the Orchestra of the C18th on the Phillips label. This is really good.

One the subject of period instruments my CD of the Diabelli variations by Paul Komen finally arrived from France. Firstly I opened the case to see a pic of the Graf piano from the Beethoven Haus an realised it's not the one posessed by Beethoven. Firstly it has the original legs, cylindrical columns, whereas Beethoven's has had them replaced by later more ornate ones. Secondly this Graf has more pedals than B's.

But never mind, it's an original and it sounds fantastic on this recording. The sound and performance is vastly superior to the recent release on Naxos. As I expected Komen makes the instrument shine in the more dynamic and/or noisy numbers, of which there are a few in this piece. Here the modern piano is no competition to what the Graf can do.

However all is not perfect, my benchmark for the interpretation of this music is my CD by Bernard Roberts (Nimbus)- every variation is judged to my taste in tempo and phrasing, thought the theme he plays way too slow for a vivace. Compared to this Komen is frequently either a little too fast or two slow and Roberts sometimes is a better judge of the character Beethoven wants from the piece, though his piano cannot compete with the Graf (but the Nimbus sound is excellent too).

As with other recordings I have by Komen he is better in the dynamic numbers. Jos van Immerseel is better for the more poetic side of Beethoven.

Thanks for the recommendations, Rod! I only have one recording of the ballet, with Harnoncourt and the COE. I've never been a huge fan of Harnoncourt's, and this recording doesn't really hit the spot. So I'll definitely check out the Bruggen recording.

As for Komen, I really enjoyed his Op.90 you uploaded here, so I'll keep an eye out for him.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X