Overtures details wanted esp. "Onomastica"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overtures details wanted esp. "Onomastica"

Namensfeier (Name-Day Celebration) Overture for orchestra in C major, Op. 115 Overture also known as onomastica

Does any one know this piece. I would like an mp3 of it if possible. What is wrong with it if it never gets performed? Who was it written for? When? Durration? Orchestration? Any detail gladly received. thanks group!
    Jonjon

Originally posted by jonjon:
    Namensfeier (Name-Day Celebration) Overture for orchestra in C major, Op. 115 Overture also known as onomastica

Does any one know this piece. I would like an mp3 of it if possible. What is wrong with it if it never gets performed? Who was it written for? When? Durration? Orchestration? Any detail gladly received. thanks group!
    Jonjon
    Hi Jonjon;

The orchestration is as follows:
    2 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets in C, 2 bassoons, 4 horns in C, 2 trumpets in C, timpani in C and G, and a full string section.

Hofrat
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

This overture, as many of LvB's larger compositions, has a creation history spanning several years. It originated from an idea LvB had in 1809, possibly similar to the basic idea Fantasy and Chorus of 1808: An orchestral overture of some sort to prelude a chorus to be set on Friedrich von Schiller's Ode an die Freude (ode To Joy). With charecteristic sketching for such groundbreaking a work, he assembled material to only later undergo extension, alteration, and harmonization. etc, yet this compositional phase was obviously not reached by 1810, or even 1811, and for some reason LvB had laid this project aside in defenite. In 1811 and 1812 he had started intensive work on what was to be his symphony (No.7) in A major, and symphony (No.8) in F major respectively, and in the process saw it fit to draw on some of that sketch material, and when it so happened that LvB was to produce a new overture which he began to work on in September 1814 he again sought inspiration from his initial overture melodies: an introduction, *Maestoso*, leading into *Allegro assai vivace* in C major with its original main theme modified, so not to become too similar to that of the scherzo in the symphony (No.7).; while onother theme (the 2nd?) just about intact. These sketches show great care, and he wrote (in either 1814 or 1815, I believe!!?): *Overture for every occasion or for use in concerts*. - This was "the first time Beethoven had contemplated an overture simply for its own sake. We should therefor take it more seriously than most commentatorshave" (Robert Simpson). There were in later years plans for at least 2 further concert overtures, the last based on key notes: in German B-A-C-H. - The finished score calls for the 'standard' symphony orchestra, enriched with a couple of horns: strings, 2s of flutes, oboes, clarinets, bassoons, 4 horns, 2 trumpets, and bass drums. This is only my personal gues, and I most welcome whatever confirmation as I myself am in for the answer. An exacter date than 'latter part of 1815' for this work's completion and final touches fail me and again there would be welcome if there are other members to give it. And the more I am not sure to whom might have commisioned it, or if it even was, although my source says that "it [=the premier performance] was intended for the Emperor's name day celebration (October4)" (Hans-Günher Klein). If this was the intention I can not tell and I do not know wherefrom this is taken, but, I take it, the work was not performed at that date (or was it!?), although; "the overture became known as Zur Namensfeyer (On The Name-Day) because it had been first performed coincidently on the name-day of the Emperor" (Robert Simpson) - My book place its premiere performance on December 25 (at the Grand Redoutensaal in Vienna) and the was not repeated after that. The work was because of its prevailing 6/8 rhythm also called La chasse (The Hunt) to his annoyance. He simply noted it as *Ouvertüre von LvBthvn* (Overture by LvBthvn). Steiner's printed editon (Opus115) from 1825 is free of any superficial title, and was dedicated to one Prince Anton Radziwill. I can not explain why this, LvB's acual single concert overture fared comparatively bad up and until the world of today. It certainly deserves better! - For you who might supply: More information on this work is to be appreciated. I rely solely on CBE. / Geratlas in signo

Comment

Thank you so much for your really helpful reply Thank you so much for your really helpful reply Geralus. As you say any more information gladly received.

Jonjon

"can not explain why this, LvB's acual single concert overture fared comparatively bad up and until the world of today. It certainly deserves better! - For you who might supply: More information on this work is to be appreciated. I rely solely on CBE. / Geratlas in signo[/B][/QUOTE]
        I can not explain why this, LvB's acual single concert overture fared comparatively bad up and until the world of today. It certainly deserves better! - For you who might supply: More information on this work is to be appreciated. I rely solely on CBE. / Geratlas in signo[/B][/QUOTE]"

Comment

Working...
        X