Hess_A 22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hess_A 22

the theme of this march (Hess_A22)is very similar with the theme of overture "Guillaume Tell" do you think that rossini had heard this work before composing his famous opera?

I don't know this march, but the last movement of Opus One, number Two also bears a resemblance to the William Tell Overture.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by waldstein:
      the theme of this march (Hess_A22)is very similar with the theme of overture "Guillaume Tell" do you think that rossini had heard this work before composing his famous opera?
      In an article that was published about Rossini's meeting with Beethoven during Rossini's visit in Vienna in 1822, Rossini admitted that he heard only a few of Beethoven's compositions in Italy, namely the quartets. During the course of this 1822 trip to Vienna, Rossini heard for the first time a symphony by Beethoven (the Eroica).

Hofrat
      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Just another antedote about that same meeting between Rossini and Beeethoven. When Rossini met Beethoven in 1822, he was stunned by the squalor of Beethoven's apartment and the sadness of the artist himself. Rossini had said, "I remember well
        being introduced to Beethoven by Carpani, who had introduced me previously to Salieri. The visit did not take long, and the conversation with Beethoven was almost painful. His hearing was very bad that day and his Italian questionable."

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by waldstein:
          I think i know this march for military band. I have a cd with a few of them on it. I recognise the similarity now you mention it, but I suggest it is purely coincidental.

Whilst in this subject I saw one of Beethoven's windband maches being performed on TV...by the German army in a procession during World War 2!! Actually the army band performance is vastly superior to my rendition of it on CD, which sounds rather camp by comparison.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-22-2005).]
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Rod! I am intrigued by this orchestral version(s) of the march. Can you tell if both versions play identic parts? I am under the impression the original is for pianoforte, and so interpret that orchestral
            versions are of later arrangements, and so possibly differing slightly from each other. Just a thought. Over to You. / sinc. Geratlas

Comment

Rod! I am intrigued by this orchestral version(s) of the march. Can you tell if both versions play identic parts? I am under the impression the original is for pianoforte, and so interpret that orchestral
              versions are of later arrangements, and so possibly differing slightly from each other. Just a thought. Over to You. / sinc. Geratlas

Comment

Duplicato diabolico

Comment

Originally posted by Geratlas:
                  I forgot to check this up. The piece I am thinking of is for sure a wind band piece so perhaps the present subject matter is a different effort. I'll check my CD tonight.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                    I forgot to check this up. The piece I am thinking of is for sure a wind band piece so perhaps the present subject matter is a different effort. I'll check my CD tonight.

for the one that i have , it's a piano version (four hands), you can find it at:www.lvbeethoven.com

Comment

Rod, have you by chance refered to the écossaise militaire in D major, WoO(!)22? This is intended for outdoor wind band orchestra which would explain the whole athing. - Just another thought. / sinc. G.

Comment

Originally posted by Geratlas:
                        Rod, have you by chance refered to the écossaise militaire in D major, WoO(!)22? This is intended for outdoor wind band orchestra which would explain the whole athing. - Just another thought. / sinc. G.
                        Yes I have a disk with quite a few windband marches by Beethoven. The march i was referring to about was in fact WoO18 from around 1807 which has a passage that bares a passing resemblence to the William Tell, but there is no connection I'm sure. I think this CD has WoO22 as well.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                        X