The 7th Symphony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 7th Symphony

Heard this wonderful symphony this week on NPR. They performed it to raise money for the hurricane victims and brought up the fact that Beethoven's concert was held at a benefit concert for injured soldiers in 1813 (?). Christoph von Dohnanyi was the conductor with the North German Radio Symphony. Frankly it was one of the best renditions of this I have ever heard. The tempe was right on and you could hear every note. The second movement just moght be one of the most beautiful Beethoven ever wrote. He wrote many more but this one has to be in the top three surely!
    I could just imagine Wagner dancing around the room while Liszt played (after a few drinks no doubt). Such fun!

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 09-29-2005).]

You're so right about the 7th. The conductor is quite good and I especially like his treatment of the Schuman 2nd and 3rd symphonies.

But when it comes to the Beethoven symphonies, you just have to gasp at the Arturo Toscanini interpretations. They are positively sublime. The sheer enjoyment engendered makes you forget all about the absolutely abominable sound quality of the original RCA recordings done some 60 years ago.

Must it be? It must be!

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
      Heard this wonderful symphony this week on NPR. They performed it to raise money for the hurricane victims and brought up the fact that Beethoven's concert was held at a benefit concert for injured soldiers in 1813 (?). Christoph von Dohnanyi was the conductor with the North German Radio Symphony. Frankly it was one of the best renditions of this I have ever heard. The tempe was right on and you could hear every note. The second movement just moght be one of the most beautiful Beethoven ever wrote. He wrote many more but this one has to be in the top three surely!
      I could just imagine Wagner dancing around the room while Liszt played (after a few drinks no doubt). Such fun!

Your vision of Wagner and Liszt made me laugh out loud! That would be a sight to behold with the music going...!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
        Your vision of Wagner and Liszt made me laugh out loud! That would be a sight to behold with the music going...!
        For sure!

------------------

Comment

Working...
        X