Hess 15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hess 15

Inedita (www.ineditanet.it) will release its 4th Beethoven Rarities CD in October or November 2005. It will feature the following:
    1. Piano concerto movement in D (Hess 15).
    2. Modlinger dances.
    3. Gratulation menuette.
    4. Ritterballet music.

Hofrat
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Originally posted by Hofrat:
    Inedita (www.ineditanet.it) will release its 4th Beethoven Rarities CD in October or November 2005. It will feature the following:
    2. Modlinger dances.
    3. Gratulation menuette.
    4. Ritterballet music.

Hofrat
    Hofrat I don't thing the Modlinger dances are Beethoven's from what I've heard.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      Hofrat I don't thing the Modlinger dances are Beethoven's from what I've heard.

Indeed these are dubious and based on Schindler's claim that Beethoven wrote a set of waltzes in 1819 at Modling. In 1905 a set of parts for 11 dances were found in Leipzig and it was decided that these were the ones referred to by Schindler. They are of decidedly inferior quality.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

2. Modlinger dances.
        3. Gratulation menuette.
        4. Ritterballet music.

Hofrat
        It is nice to know this label is recording these rarely heard pieces, many of which we featured on the rare page mp3s.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          Indeed these are dubious and based on Schindler's claim that Beethoven wrote a set of waltzes in 1819 at Modling. In 1905 a set of parts for 11 dances were found in Leipzig and it was decided that these were the ones referred to by Schindler. They are of decidedly inferior quality.

If it is the WoO 17 set you are talking about, Peter, I have always enjoyed them since I first bought a recording about 30 years ago.I was quite disappointed when I found out they are almost certainly spurious. They are simple tuneful dances and in what way are they inferior to WoO 8, 14 or 17? Has it anything to do with their keys - juxtaposition wise? Or have they become inferior because we now know B didn't write them? Just curious.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
            If it is the WoO 17 set you are talking about, Peter, I have always enjoyed them since I first bought a recording about 30 years ago.I was quite disappointed when I found out they are almost certainly spurious. They are simple tuneful dances and in what way are they inferior to WoO 8, 14 or 17? Has it anything to do with their keys - juxtaposition wise? Or have they become inferior because we now know B didn't write them? Just curious.

Michael

Yes I'm referring to WoO17 and the key juxtaposition is less satisfactory than in genuine Beethoven. However they are tuneful as you say, so why not just carry on enjoying them regardless! Obviously when authenticity is the issue other criteria have to be employed.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
              Yes I'm referring to WoO17 and the key juxtaposition is less satisfactory than in genuine Beethoven. However they are tuneful as you say, so why not just carry on enjoying them regardless! Obviously when authenticity is the issue other criteria have to be employed.

I have the Modlinger dances on a disk of rare Beethoven music that is part of a boxed set. On the disk are some of Beethoven's genuine sets. I got these many years ago and when I bought them I was unaware of the doubts relating to the Modlinger set, but when I heard the music it is simply inferior to any of the genuine dances and I was forced to research the matter. The Modlinger sound far more 'Austrian' to me than Beethoven's, ie there is an element of Tyrolean oompah oompah in some of the numbers than B never reduced himself to!

------------------
              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-20-2005).]
              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Thankyou for bringing us good news, Hofrat!
                The Concerto movement is to our delight finally recorded and available, and it is definitely a rarety, in a way the three other works are definitely not! As for the so called(!) "Mödlinger Dances" they ought not to be presented like they actually are written by LvB (I've seen the CD cover). What has the Hess Catalog for information on these so-called(!) Mödlinder Dances (Hess20)?

Michael, I have also listened to the 11 Dances and approve of them, and even though I at the time was aware that they are not nacessarily by LvB's hand and held and hold it as unlikely they represent the very set which is said to have been written in Mödling 1819 (although they are plausible to be) I think there's glimpses here of rustic and irony to be found within LvB's more personal works. I do not think it matters whether they are authentic or not, but as I stated above, I feel it is wrong to give the blatant impression they are in fact by LvB, this for multiple reasons. And apparently it is likewise wrong do dismiss them as spurious beyond doubt. ~ Music it is.

Comment

2. Modlinger dances.
                  3. Gratulation menuette.
                  4. Ritterballet music.

I would be very interested in purchasing the CDs on the Web site, but I live in the U.S. Does anyone know if they're available to us, and how to order? Any help is much appreciated.

Hofrat

Comment

2. Modlinger dances.
                    3. Gratulation menuette.
                    4. Ritterballet music.

Hofrat

Oops - I accidently edited the original message. Very sorry! My question still stands -- can I get these in the U.S.?

Thanks,
                    Teresa

Comment

Originally posted by Teresa:

Oops - I accidently edited the original message. Very sorry! My question still stands -- can I get these in the U.S.?

Thanks,
                      Teresa

Hi Teresa;

I know that Inedita has distribution rights for Monument Records (an American company). Try the website of Monument Records and see if Monument Records has distribution rights for Inedita.

BTW, Monument Records also sells the *New Hess Catalog*.

Hofrat

Comment

Hi Teresa;

I know that Inedita has distribution rights for Monument Records (an American company). Try the website of Monument Records and see if Monument Records has distribution rights for Inedita.

BTW, Monument Records also sells the *New Hess Catalog*.

Hofrat

Hofrat -

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I just checked Monument and they indeed have at least one of the CDs, as well as some others that look good. I don't have time to check the others right now but I'll be perusing their site again tomorrow. Again, many thanks.

Regards,
                        Teresa

Comment

Originally posted by Teresa:

Thanks,
                          Teresa

Hi Teresa;

I checked the website of Monument records: www.monument-records.com.

I noted that they do sell Inedita CD's, although they have yet to announce the 4th Beethoven rarities CD.

Hofrat

Comment

Hi Teresa;

I checked the website of Monument records: www.monument-records.com.

I noted that they do sell Inedita CD's, although they have yet to announce the 4th Beethoven rarities CD.

Hofrat

Yes, I looked again this morning and found some very good CDs. Thank you again for checking for me!

Comment

Working...
                            X