which string quartet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which string quartet

I would like to introduce a friend to one or two of Beethoven's String Quartets. Which quartet(s) do you think would be most likely to enthrall someone with a smattering of classical music but not (yet) a strong preference for it?

------------------
    Fate banging on the door with a jackhammer
    To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
    susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

That is a hard one! I wouldn't think chamber music was the best introduction to CM myself, but people vary. The first Beethoven quartet I listened to and loved was Op.18 no.1 and it's still my favourite from Op.18.
    I think the best option would be to play just a few selected contrasting movements such as the Tedesca and Cavatina from Op.130, the finale of op.59/3 and possibly the Grosse Fugue if you really want to cause a stir!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      That is a hard one! I wouldn't think chamber music was the best introduction to CM myself, but people vary. The first Beethoven quartet I listened to and loved was Op.18 no.1 and it's still my favourite from Op.18.
      I think the best option would be to play just a few selected contrasting movements such as the Tedesca and Cavatina from Op.130, the finale of op.59/3 and possibly the Grosse Fugue if you really want to cause a stir!

Gee. The first one I heard was the 15th, on the radio, when I was around 20. Before the end of the 1st movement I thought the poor boy had gone completely bonkers. I agree with Peter. Nothing like jumping right into the deep end. Another vote for the Grosse Fugue!

Comment

Well, I don't think that a string quartett is the best genre to introduce someone to classical music. But if you insist on a string quartett: for me the first string quartett was op. 132 which I probably still love the most. But maybe I would also take op. 59,1 with it's awesome Adagio!
        I never really fell in love with the quartetts from op. 18 besides the Adagio from op. 18,1.

Gerd

Comment

This is a friend who already likes the symphonies and the two "famous" sonatas. I think she's ready for string quartets : }
          To learn about "The Port-Wine Sea," my parody of Patrick O'Brian's wonderful Aubrey-Maturin series, please contact me at
          susanwenger@yahoo.com

To learn about "The Better Baby" book, ways to increase a baby's intelligence, health, and potentials, please use the same address.

Comment

Originally posted by Droell:
            Gee. The first one I heard was the 15th, on the radio, when I was around 20. Before the end of the 1st movement I thought the poor boy had gone completely bonkers. I agree with Peter. Nothing like jumping right into the deep end. Another vote for the Grosse Fugue!
            When I did my A level music they really did throw me in at the deep end with Bartok's 5th string quartet - I don't think I ever recovered from it!

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by sjwenger:
              This is a friend who already likes the symphonies and the two "famous" sonatas. I think she's ready for string quartets : }
              I still think being movement selective is the best approach to start with. Also how about the overtures and concertos? For me the litmus test is the 4th piano concerto - if they don't respond to that, there is no hope!

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

How about op.29? The Quintet is every bit as good as any from op.18, rightly belongs with the Quartets and is very accessible. Another criminally undervalued triumph from the Master! Certainly an excellent introduction - along with op.20 - to his chamber works.

------------------
                Seizing fate by the throat...
                Seizing fate by the throat...

Comment

Working...
                X