Kol Nidrei by Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kol Nidrei by Beethoven

This year, on the eve of Wednesday 12 October 2005, the Jewish world will usher in their most significant observance of Yom Kippur with the traditional chanting of the liturgical passage known as Kol Nidrei.

An apparently persistent story that I heard a few years ago indicates that Beethoven may have actually used the melody of the Kol Nidrei in the String Quartet 14, Op 131.

Is there any particular factual basis to this story, or is this just a product of the peculiar way in which particular melodies are sometimes heard in the silences of our conciousness?
    A Calm Sea and A Prosperous Voyage

I haven't heard this before, interesting but I'm not sure about it! Bruch wrote a piece for'cello and piano based on Kol Nidrei.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by lvbfanatic:
      This year, on the eve of Wednesday 12 October 2005, the Jewish world will usher in their most significant observance of Yom Kippur with the traditional chanting of the liturgical passage known as Kol Nidrei.

An apparently persistent story that I heard a few years ago indicates that Beethoven may have actually used the melody of the Kol Nidrei in the String Quartet 14, Op 131.

Is there any particular factual basis to this story, or is this just a product of the peculiar way in which particular melodies are sometimes heard in the silences of our conciousness?

After Missa Solemnis, Beethoven started to sketch a mass in C# minor. Thematic material from these sketches made their way into the C# minor string quartet when Beethoven abandoned the idea of this mass.

Hofrat
      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Working...
      X