The other Czerny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The other Czerny

Looking through some old music the other day I came across a Cossak dance by Joseph Czerny (1785-1831). Joseph (no relation to the more famous Carl) was also an excellent teacher highly recommended by Beethoven. From 1820 he taught Beethoven's nephew and a conversation book entry gives an insight into the boy's abilities "He played for me today a sonata by Mozart and the the sonate Pathetique".

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Upon reading this I had to find out more about him. I found that Joseph did some arranging with Schubert's "Trout" Quintet in A major (D. 667). I found a recording of the Trout which contained the views of arranger Joseph Czerný, the composer Schubert, and of the performers. It's a four-hand-arrangement and was published by Czerný alongside the Quintet just a few months after Schubert’s death.
    Couldn't find much on his teaching of Karl. Was that the entire entry that was in B's coversation book that you mentioned or did he mention more of Karl's musical abilities?

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 09-09-2005).]
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Well that was basically all the conversation I know of. From the books we know he was in frequent contact with Beethoven in the early 1820s often meeting in restaurants and coffee houses. Joseph Czerny also made arrangements of the Egmont overture for piano duet, Coriolan and the quintet Op.16 for two pianos. A well known pianist of the time Joseph Blahetka was none too pleased with Beethoven for having recommended Joseph Czerny to teach him - writing to Schindler "He forced Joseph Czerny on me as a teacher against my inclination, for I would have preferred Carl Czerny"!

Joseph Czerny became a partner in the publishing firm Cappi & co and brought out a number of first editions of Schubert's works.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
      X