Beethoven's metronome marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's metronome marks

My main question: how reliable are the printed metronome marks? I am particularly interested in the symphonies.

Has anyone records of correspondence from Beethoven to B&H or other publishers about this? It is my understanding from Beethoven's letters that he was in the habit of ordering new metronomes from manufacturers as they became available. Am I right about this?

As an orchestral player of 30 years I have often found the tempi chosen by some conductors deadeningly slow and lacking vitality. (The Bruckner effect as Mackerras calls it)Although I did not play for him Karl Boem was a prime example, however beautiful. My first experience of being released from what felt like being in chains was playing Shubert 9 with Mackerras conducting about 15 years ago. The opening was in 2 as marked, not 4 as is common. In other works 6/8 was in 2 not 6. It felt like I and the music could at last breath and fly and that was with the LSO.

Sorry group I am not an academic, but am always looking for ways to make music come to life off the page.

Any thoughts on this most welcome.

The authentic movement I think have demonstrated the accuracy of Beethoven's markings which are now more generally accepted. I agree with you and it seems incredible that it has taken so long to get back to what Beethoven actually wrote. Recently on the BBC Beethoven experience we were subjected to a performance of Beethoven's 2nd with Klemperer which was so lifeless and lacking in all youthful vitality, however fine in other regards.

Regarding the 9th symphony however I think there is a problem in that Beethoven misplaced the original score and rewrote the markings which were found to be different when the original was found. His letter to Moscheles in London (written by Schindler and signed by Beethoven just 9 days before his death) concerning the 9th's metronome markings differs slightly from that written to Schott in Oct 1826, probably an oversight due to Beethoven's condition.

Without reading through Beethoven's B&H correspondence again, I don't recall his continually ordering metronomes.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by jonjon:
      My main question: how reliable are the printed metronome marks? I am particularly interested in the symphonies.
      They should be taken totally seriously as performance guides, apart from the figure for the march in the finale of the 9th, which I am certain is a print error because it is very slow for this kind of music.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        Recently on the BBC Beethoven experience we were subjected to a performance of Beethoven's 2nd with Klemperer which was so lifeless and lacking in all youthful vitality, however fine in other regards.

And compare it to the first movement of the 2nd performed by Norrington and the London Classical Players, as presented here at the authentic MP3 page. This was performed at the metronome speeds, or so it claims on the CD. Regardless it is much quicker and all the better for it.

However Norrington slavishly follows the to me erroneous slow figure for the march in the 9th and it sounds like a funeral procession rather than something heroic and joyful.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-07-2005).]
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
        X