What are you listening to right now ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joy:

Peter, I also agree with you about Haydn's piano music, shouldn't be missed. I will be searching for more of that I can assure you and Schubert's too. Lovely pieces of music.

A couple of mornings ago I caught a Haydn Piano concerto in D (just the slow movement) and thought it excellent. I, too, will have to watch for more Haydn piano music.

Comment

Yes, me too, Sorrano, and speaking of Haydn tonight on NPR, they will play Haydn's Sinfonia Concertante in B-flat and I heard his piano sonata #50 this morning. Lovely and delightful music. Will listen for more of Haydn's piano music too!

------------------
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        Yes, me too, Sorrano, and speaking of Haydn tonight on NPR, they will play Haydn's Sinfonia Concertante in B-flat and I heard his piano sonata #50 this morning. Lovely and delightful music. Will listen for more of Haydn's piano music too!

The Haydn Concertante is a delight! I've been listening to Schubert's glorious D minor quartet 'Death and the Maiden".

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Today on NPR Nikolas Harnoncourt conducting the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra in the "Manfred Overture" by Robert Schumann in Amsterdam.

------------------

Comment

"After Beethoven got a chance to play duets with King Frederick William II, he began writing more cello music, including the Seven Variations on Mozart's Bei Mannern, welche Liebe fuhlen. Yo-Yo Ma and Emanuel Ax play these variations at the Cliburn Concerts in Fort Worth, Texas" today on NPR.

------------------

Comment

Good choices Joy! I have those variations played by Brendel pere et fils! Currently for me its the Pastoral as conducted by Kleiber which still shows me something new about the work every time I listen to it. Just now its the almost jazzlike quality and intensity of the of the Andante molto mosso. Does anyone know if Jan Garbarek, Keith Jarrett or Jacques Loussier or someone has done anything with it? I could imagine some wonderful sax improvisations on this....

------------------
              Beethoven the Man!

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 08-09-2005).]
              Beethoven the Man!

Comment

I myself plow through FS's symphonic rows, and have on coming to the 9th ("8th") Symphony listened to no less than 8 (!) very different recordings. At the library I recently came across one splendid version by Frans Brüggen, with such devotion for those instrumental part details that so surges with aur and spirit through soon every bar for close to an hour. Absolutely recommendable:+++!!! PS. It's superior to Goodman's recorded version, DS. (...which of course leads me to reply quote)
                Originally posted by Hofrat:
                Does that set include Symphony 7 in E major and Symphony 10 in D major?
                Hofrat
                Hofrat! I have a (?=the) set where the Hanover Band is lead by Roy Goodman through Nos. 1,2,3,4,5,6,8("7") 'Unfinished', and 9("8") Great C, and however masterly the performaces are the actual recordings leave me disappointed.
                Of course, Nos. 7 and 10, which both sincerely and successfully have been brought to completion ('realization') really deserve to be widely known and included in sets such as this, and then especially the one in E major as it is quite complete at the outset. It is hard to imagine an unfinished symphony being closer to its complete state than this. From the beginning of the autograph Schubert set out in full-fledged score, then relied steadily on 1 to 3 lines for every bar of the 4movement with each motivic/melodic notation assigned to its specific instrument(s). As such the work comprises length and scope if not overall depth. Surely it would have been quite a minor task for Schubert to accomplish the symphony once and for all had he been presented with a fair reason for put lasting trust in its performance to be realised.
                He obviously had none as good as we ought to have, even for the symphony to be 'completed' by another though nevertheless skilled head, heart, and hand. / Over to you :::

Comment

Now I'm listening Jan Dismas Zelenka(Polish Baroque Compositor)
                  Messa Dei Filli

Comment

Originally posted by Geratlas:
                    Does that set include Symphony 7 in E major and Symphony 10 in D major?
                    Hofrat
                    Hofrat! I have a (?=the) set where the Hanover Band is lead by Roy Goodman through Nos. 1,2,3,4,5,6,8("7") 'Unfinished', and 9("8") Great C, and however masterly the performaces are the actual recordings leave me disappointed.
                    Of course, Nos. 7 and 10, which both sincerely and successfully have been brought to completion ('realization') really deserve to be widely known and included in sets such as this, and then especially the one in E major as it is quite complete at the outset. Over to you :::[/B][/QUOTE]

At last, we found something that we agree upon. I think that the 7th Schubert symphony in E major and the 10th in D major are absolutely amazing. Professor Newbould did an exceptional job with their realization. They are a quantum jump from the first 6 symphonies. He exploited very well the counterpoint lessons that he took toward the end of his tragically short life.

Hofrat
                    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

A lot of Schubert's music I have heard sounds rather 'unfinished' to my ears (ie crudely constructed). Especially the piano music.

------------------
                      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat:
                        At last, we found something that we agree upon. I think that the 7th Schubert symphony in E major and the 10th in D major are absolutely amazing. Professor Newbould did an exceptional job with their realization. They are a quantum jump from the first 6 symphonies. ...
                        Yes, and then the whole is of a completely agreeable art. If there is ever to be a place for works of this state (incompleteness) it is hard to see why it should not be today instead of tomorrow. - I would never claim Newbould's however admirable job summon the symphonies as concepted by Schubert. What he has done, and all anyone can do is to present what is actually the symphonies of Schubert (the autographs of Nos.7,8 and 10) in such fashion that the authentic material and anticipated form come forth in their deserved right and thus as poignant as only possible. Newbould nowhere make himself the artist but follow up each sketch with devotion for Schubert by every mean he is able to. However academic as one can find it, it does not mean one disregard the job has just as much to do with sense as with confiding matters, and sense is what art is all about. By this I would like the realizations to be guarded for what they are: Resurrections of an authentic voice, to be performed, listened to, and understanded. They are simply the next best thing, which means they are the best we have in lack of their authentic and ultimate concepts. And so I commend anyone who champions and promote views of what ought to be among the natural things. /G.

Hofrat, now that we have set dialog in motion I take the oppurtunity of heading it in another direction, and to my mind I have specific works of Beethoven's which like that of schubert's deserve wider public notion. For exemple the abandoned triple concerto. Or: How about those works attributed to LvB with changing degree of conspicion? As alternative it would be preferable if you got something you yourself like to discuss or disect. I am not entirely oblivious when it come down to LvB's musical output... / Geratlas Hefnur alà Gamid.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                          A lot of Schubert's music I have heard sounds rather 'unfinished' to my ears (ie crudely constructed). Especially the piano music.
                          Hi Rod, I wonder what you mean by "sound
                          unfinished". What is it you sense to be missing? If crude construction is the fault perhaps you could illustrate what disturb you by giving an exemple or two; "Piano music" is, when it comes to FS too unspecified a reference to see your point, although I guess you do not speak of his eloquent dance music for that instrument, or even 4 hand music. / G.

Comment

Originally posted by Geratlas:
                            Hi Rod, I wonder what you mean by "sound
                            unfinished". What is it you sense to be missing? If crude construction is the fault perhaps you could illustrate what disturb you by giving an exemple or two; "Piano music" is, when it comes to FS too unspecified a reference to see your point, although I guess you do not speak of his eloquent dance music for that instrument, or even 4 hand music. / G.

We discussed a piano sonata here some time ago, the last one I think. This illustrates my earlier comment ('confused' could be another word), but the same can be said for many instrumental piece I've heard by Schubert on the radio, they come across to me as a pot pourri of unrelated fragments or other composer styles.

Beethoven's Triple (Trio I prefer) concerto is not totaly abandoned!

------------------
                            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Beethoven's Triple (Trio I prefer) concerto is not totaly abandoned!

There was an earlier 'trio' concerto in D sketched in 1802.

------------------
                              'Man know thyself'
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Geratlas:
                                Hofrat, now that we have set dialog in motion I take the oppurtunity of heading it in another direction, and to my mind I have specific works of Beethoven's which like that of schubert's deserve wider public notion. For exemple the abandoned triple concerto. Or: How about those works attributed to LvB with changing degree of conspicion? As alternative it would be preferable if you got something you yourself like to discuss or disect. I am not entirely oblivious when it come down to LvB's musical output... / Geratlas Hefnur alà Gamid.
                                I accept the challenge!! Of the sketches Beethoven left us, the most comprehensive of them are Hess 15: A concerto movement for piano and orchestra in D major. Professor Nicholas Cook did a great job with the realization. It was to be recorded in France a few years ago, but a tempermental soloist ruined such plans. Inedita is suppose to come out with their 4th Beethoven Rarity CD September featuring this piece. I eagerly await it.

Hofrat
                                "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Working...
                                X