What are you listening to right now ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hofrat:

Ah, that is a classic recording. BTW, it is the only recording of the 9th that Toscanini approved for publication. If I am not mistaken, Jan Pierce sings the tenor part.

All the best,
    Avishai

You are not mistaken. As I listened to it I was particularly taken by the dynamic nature of the 1st movement. I felt as though I were listening to it for the first time.

Comment

I was listening to Beethoven's 5th symphony earlier today transcrbed by Liszt for piano with pianist Konstantin Scherbakov. Absolutely amazing how he captures the orchestral sound with one instrument.

------------------
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

If you're looking for great live music, i think that you should go to the Muny in St Louis, or something. A play. The music is always great!

------------------
        The day will one day come
        The day will one day come

Comment

Bach Prelude and Fugue in A minor (Lionel Rogg from the complete organ works); one of my favorite pieces of music. Have you ever heard Albert Schweitzer play it? Not a perfect performance by any means, but he does bring out the essential, irrepressible joy of the music. A sure antidote for depression.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
            I was listening to Beethoven's 5th symphony earlier today transcrbed by Liszt for piano with pianist Konstantin Scherbakov. Absolutely amazing how he captures the orchestral sound with one instrument.

I've got him performing the ninth on piano and am equally impressed with it *listening to it right now*

Comment

Originally posted by srivele:
              Bach Prelude and Fugue in A minor (Lionel Rogg from the complete organ works); one of my favorite pieces of music. Have you ever heard Albert Schweitzer play it? Not a perfect performance by any means, but he does bring out the essential, irrepressible joy of the music. A sure antidote for depression.
              I've got the Marie-Claire Alain performances for the complete Bach organ works. Not a bad set, either.

Comment

Originally posted by ruudp:

I've got him performing the ninth on piano and am equally impressed with it *listening to it right now*

I have that one too! Isn't it just amazing?
                I have all the symphonies except the 8th. I've got to get my hands on that one somehow!

------------------

Comment

On NPR today Beethoven and Brahms who each wrote a single trio incorporating the clarinet. Beethoven's Opus 11 with Bil Jackson, clarinetist, with cellist Marc Johnson and pianist David Deveau.

Also they're having a talk on "Beethoven on the BBC" about the BBC recently having made a set of the nine Beethoven symphonies available for download, to enormous success. "Roger Wright, who runs BBC Radio 3, enthuses about the BBC's success in reaching a different audience using updated technology." Should be a great show!

------------------

Comment

Heard the Piano Sonata No. 50 in D by Haydn,
                    Alfred Brendel, pianist. Absolute delightful music. Haydn composed many a wonderful piano tune. Makes me want to hear more of those works.

In regards to the NPR discussion on Beethoven's Symphonies yesterday, they interviewed the BBC3's manager and he said they had gotten 1.3 million hits on their website to download Beethoven's 9 Symphonies, 60 times more than Bono (U2)! Go Beethoven!!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                      Heard the Piano Sonata No. 50 in D by Haydn,
                      Alfred Brendel, pianist. Absolute delightful music. Haydn composed many a wonderful piano tune. Makes me want to hear more of those works.

It's surprising just how many people say that Joy once they hear Haydn's sadly neglected sonatas. Also Schubert's sonatas should not be missed.

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Barenboim's 1983 Tristan and Isolde from Bayreuth.

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

The local PBS station today was broadcasting some Praetorius dances this morning. That was a nice way to wake up.

Comment

This lovely morning it's Beethoven's 'Triple Concerto' with Perlman, Yo-Yo Ma, Barenboim and the Berlin Philharmonic. The recording is live and the performance is up there with the best.
                            Also on this disc is the Choral Fantasy Op.80.

Comment

On NPR today: "Richard Wagner had a special hall built to his exact specifications for the performance of his operas. The industrial town where it was built, Bayreuth, is now known for little other than productions of Wagner's operas during the annual Wagner Festival. The Stuttgart Radio Symphony with conductor Georges Pretre performs excerpts from Wagner's Gotterdammerung.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                                Barenboim's 1983 Tristan and Isolde from Bayreuth.

There's a Wagner Festival going on so tonight on NPR will be a Liszt's concert 'paraphrase' on the "Liebestod" from Wagner's opera Tristan und Isolde performed by Aldo Ciccolini. Great music.

Peter, I also agree with you about Haydn's piano music, shouldn't be missed. I will be searching for more of that I can assure you and Schubert's too. Lovely pieces of music.

Speaking of Schubert, they are playing his Symphony no. 5 via radio today also.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                                X