What are you listening to right now ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sorrano:
    Tonight it's the Sacred Healing Chants of Tibet, performed by the monks from Gaden Shartse Monastery. Not my ordinary listening!
    Sounds interesting! I've been listening to the 4 Tchaikovsy orchestra suites to complement my reading of his diaries.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      Sounds interesting! I've been listening to the 4 Tchaikovsy orchestra suites to complement my reading of his diaries.

The Tibetan chants reminds me a lot of Ligeti's Lux Aeterna or the Kyrie from his requiem. Some of the instruments they use are made of human bone.

Comment

Tonight it's the Sacred Healing Chants of Tibet, performed by the monks from Gaden Shartse Monastery. Not my ordinary listening!
        How did you get into that? I have the Gregorian chants on CD in Latin and English
        recorded at an Archabbey in my old stomping grounds of southern Indiana. Nice soothing listening.

------------------
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Currently...nothing. I just returned "Carnival of the Animals" to the library today

------------------
          The day will one day come
          The day will one day come

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
            How did you get into that? I have the Gregorian chants on CD in Latin and English
            recorded at an Archabbey in my old stomping grounds of southern Indiana. Nice soothing listening.

Glad to see you back after a bit of silence! Being an adventuresome listener, when I ran across the CD in a store I had to buy it to see what it was all about. It's quite nice but I wouldn't recommend listening to it in the middle of the night. It can be a bit spooky with the deep bass voices.

Comment

Glad to see you back after a bit of silence! Being an adventuresome listener, when I ran across the CD in a store I had to buy it to see what it was all about. It's quite nice but I wouldn't recommend listening to it in the middle of the night. It can be a bit spooky with the deep bass voices.
              Thanks! I have been on vacation a while back and then had problems with my computer! Had to re install the whole thing! A scary task indeed! I guess it worked though (so far)! I know what you mean about 'spooky'. Some of those chants can get eerie indeed!
              For today via radio they're playing Mozart's Piano Concerto #14 and on NPR Brahms' Piano Quartet No. 3 which some people believe is a love letter to a woman he was crazy about, Clara Schumann. "The tender second movement is especially poignant". Performed by Brahms' Quartet in concert by pianist Jeffrey Kahane, violinist Chee-Yun, violist Nokuthula Ngwenyama and cellist Alisa Weilerstein.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat:

Does that set include Symphony 7 in E major and Symphony 10 in D major?

Hofrat
                Hofnarr

Comment

Jean-Baptiste Lully: Phaeton

Comment

i'm listening to the grosse fugue it's a terrific work! it's an orchestral version conducted by klemperer.

Comment

On NPR this afternoon will be the Violin Sonata No. 6 by Beethoven in concert in Denmark with Violinist Christian Tetzlaff and pianist Leif Ove Andsnes.

------------------

Comment

Tchaikovsky 3rd symphony - the finale is simply rousing! It's amazing what gems there are to be found amongst composers' less popular works.

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Corelli, Concerti Grossi. My habitual Christmas music. Wonderfully joyful.

Comment

Ashkenazy (recommended by Chris) playing Chopin's B Flat Minor Nocturne. - Loving it, thanks for recommending this performer. ^_^

[This message has been edited by Zhire (edited 07-26-2005).]

Comment

Tonight, after listening to the first movement of Elgar's 2nd Symphony (very nice!) I decided, after the manner of the estimable Gurn, to listen to Beethoven's 9th. I selected tonight what I consider to be the definitive version: the Toscanini (1952 with the Robert Shaw Chorale).

Whatever has happened to Gurn? Anyone know?

Comment

I decided, after the manner of the estimable Gurn, to listen to Beethoven's 9th. I selected tonight what I consider to be the definitive version: the Toscanini (1952 with the Robert Shaw Chorale).

Ah, that is a classic recording. BTW, it is the only recording of the 9th that Toscanini approved for publication. If I am not mistaken, Jan Pierce sings the tenor part.

All the best,
                                Avishai
                                "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Working...
                                X