What are you listening to right now ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter:

Today I've been listening to Schnabel, Lill and Brendel play Op.109 - they all take that opening theme of the finale too slow I think - Beethoven marked it Andante but they play Adagio, even Lento!

A common problem. Also the same goes for the first movement.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      A common problem. Also the same goes for the first movement.

Yes, Beethoven originally marked the MS of the first movt Vivace and even when he revised it, it still didn't include the qualification 'ma non troppo' which appears in the 1st edition.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Any Grofe fans here? I've been listening to his Grand Canyon and Mississippi suites, conducted by Howard Hanson. Good music! Also caught the finale of the Dvorak 8th Symphony.

Comment

Hi Folks, Cherubini's Symphony in D Major. Cherubini later arranged this sympnoy for string quartet. Both versions make for fine listening.

Comment

Originally posted by King Stephen:
            Hi Folks, Cherubini's Symphony in D Major. Cherubini later arranged this sympnoy for string quartet. Both versions make for fine listening.
            I think I have a recording of that somewhere. I'll have to grab it and listen to it again.

Last night I caught Schumann's 2nd Symphony (my favorite of the Schumann symphonies) and listened to Victor Herbert's 2nd Cello Concerto.

I have to add the finale to Brahm's 2nd Symphony, as well. That was broadcast this morning.

[This message has been edited by Sorrano (edited 07-01-2005).]

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
              I think I have a recording of that somewhere. I'll have to grab it and listen to it again.

Last night I caught Schumann's 2nd Symphony (my favorite of the Schumann symphonies) and listened to Victor Herbert's 2nd Cello Concerto.

I have to add the finale to Brahm's 2nd Symphony, as well. That was broadcast this morning.

[This message has been edited by Sorrano (edited 07-01-2005).]
              Strange that you prefer the Schumann 2nd, that is my least favourite of the 4! Overall I like the 3rd best. Don't know if this stictly counts in this thread, but visiting the picture framing shop today they were playing the glorious 'Beim Schlafengehen' no.3 from Strauss's 4 last songs

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Wolferl's Notturni for Soprano, Alto, Bass, 2 Clarinets & Basset Horn as 'Luci care, luci belle', 'Due pupille amabili' etc.

Small pieces but only in lenght.

Comment

Just now I am listening to Handel"s Salomon oratorio. It is an old vinil registration with Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau at the title role.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                    Yes, Beethoven originally marked the MS of the first movt Vivace and even when he revised it, it still didn't include the qualification 'ma non troppo' which appears in the 1st edition.

My recording by Badura-Skoda playing a 1820's Graf comes close to what I think Beethoven meant for the first movement. He plays it much swifter than usual but the textures are for the most part light. The effect does not sound rushed and this is to a fair degree due to the nature of the instrument. I dont think B-S could produce the same effect on a modern piano.

For the record today I have Handel's 'Joshua' in my Walkman.

------------------
                    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Earlier this morning Beethoven's Piano Concerto #3 with the Boston Symphony Orchestra, Seiji Ozawa, conductor and
                      Rudolph Serkin, piano.

------------------
                      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

More Schumann for me! The Konzertstuck for 4 horns and orchestra in F major and some Khachaturian (music from Gayaneh and Masqerade). All great music!

Comment

This morning I was listening to the Fifth Piano Concerto on the radio in the car and my three-year-old son called out from the back seat, "Beethoven!" Which is the kind of thing that makes parenting worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by srivele:
                            This morning I was listening to the Fifth Piano Concerto on the radio in the car and my three-year-old son called out from the back seat, "Beethoven!" Which is the kind of thing that makes parenting worthwhile.
                            Wonderful indeed!

I am listening now to Rameau: Castor et Pollux.

Comment

Originally posted by srivele:
                              Right you are! My young nephew got enthused
                              about Beethoven a few years ago when I introduced him to the film geared for young people, 'Beethoven Lives Upstairs'. He started learning piano which I've been teaching him and loves to play 'Fur Elise' and part of 'The Moonlight'. (He can't wait to see your film also)!

I'm listening to the enigmatic Symphony No. 3 in F Major by Brahms, via radio, which I believe confounded the critics in the 1880s. But now it's a standard in the symphonic literature. The performance took place in Hamburg, Germany, where Brahms was born by the North German Radio Symphony, conducted by Alan Gilbert.

------------------

Comment

My parents got me enthused my FORCING me to watch the movie fantasia, once every month at least.At first I disliked it a lot, but later on I'd grown to like it and now...I LOVE the movie.
                                I've been away quite some time due to internet troubles and school things but I'm glad to say I passed my final exams quite well *not ONE grade below a 6 (10 is maximum 1....unthinkable) and am now in the proud possesion of a Atheneum Diplom(a).

I've listing to the missa solemnis a few days ago after reading the very interesting thread concerning the piece and was OVERWHELMED by its sheer power and grandeur, although it lasts quite some time I didn't had any trouble completing the listen in one piece, not even pausing.
                                The performers were:
                                rundfunkchor Leipzig conducted by kurt masur.
                                Anna Tomovoa-sintow *soprano*
                                Annelies Burmeister *alto*
                                Peter schreier *Tenor*
                                Hermann Christian Polster *Bass*
                                Gewandhausorchester Leipzig.
                                Also the fabled liszt transcription of the 9th symphony has been on my programme, once again due to the good people on this site I decided to give it a try and bought the naxos edition of this work performed by:
                                antonin scherbakov.
                                He plays a MEAN beethoven...damn...his scherzo is mindgoggeling and the overall performance GOOD..*IMHO*

Funny how the 9th growed on me....when I first listened to this grand symphony I skipped the slow movement and the whole seemed to last forever.Now I can hear the whole symphony practically HUM every note in it and the whole experience seems to last only a few minutes...a few wonderfull minutes that is.

another set of works which I'm growing fond of is dvorak's slavonic dances op.46 and op.72 *the original piano duet version*
                                I've got them performed by:
                                Ingryd Thorson and Julian Thurber, created in norway.

I've set myself the task of performing some of these gorgeous dances, all there's left now is to find a person whom agrees to play them with me and practice my butt off.

Regards,
                                Ruud

------------------

Comment

Working...
                                X