No announcement yet.

What are you listening to right now ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amalie, glad to hear you're enjoying the program so much!
    For me, later on NPR they'll be playing Beethoven's ever-lovely Romance for Violin and Orchestra with the Sinfonia Varsovia from Poland. Solo violinist is Isabelle Faust and Peter Csaba conducting.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
      Amalie, glad to hear you're enjoying the program so much!
      For me, later on NPR they'll be playing Beethoven's ever-lovely Romance for Violin and Orchestra with the Sinfonia Varsovia from Poland. Solo violinist is Isabelle Faust and Peter Csaba conducting.

Maurince Ravel, La Valse. I think I'm distantly related to him.

Comment

LVB 5th and 6th symphonies - Zinman and the Tonhalle - just the way to to shake off the blues. But where's Gurn? its Sunday so somewhere in Texas there should be a 9th playing....... Come back soon we miss you
        Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Originally posted by JA Gardiner:
          But where's Gurn? its Sunday so somewhere in Texas there should be a 9th playing....... Come back soon we miss you
          He must be on the golf course. His adventures there are legendary.

I'm listening to Mozart K311 on Fortepiano played by Badura Skoda .
          Later the Radio has a concert of Tafelmusik.
          Hope they play some Handel.

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
            He must be on the golf course. His adventures there are legendary.

I'm listening to Mozart K311 on Fortepiano played by Badura Skoda .
            Later the Radio has a concert of Tafelmusik.
            Hope they play some Handel.

I'm listening to a Bruch Octet for strings.
            Say where is everyone?,I know Gurn is parked in front of the tube watching the US Open.
            Chazz is out painting ,where is Pastorali's Mozart,Amalie's John Taverner,Rod's Handel and Peter's Beethoven?

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Say where is everyone?,I know Gurn is parked in front of the tube watching the US Open.
              Chazz is out painting ,where is Pastorali's Mozart,Amalie's John Taverner,Rod's Handel and Peter's Beethoven?

My Beethoven is on BBC4 tonight with a complete performance of the last 3 symphonies - should be great!

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Space, I haven't played John Taverner for a while.. but I am listening to Vaughan Williams beautiful rhapsodic piece, 'Lark Ascending'. My friend tells me she is going to have it played at her funeral, (a while yet, I hope), now when I hear it, I get upset!

Vaughan Williams found inspiration for this peice in George Meridith's nature poem:-

He rises and begins to round,
                He drops the silver chain of sound,
                Of many links without a break,
                In chirrup, whistle, slur and shake

For singing till his heaven fills,
                'Tis love of earth that he instils,
                and ever winging up and up,
                Our valley is his golden cup
                And he the wine which overflows
                to lift us with him as he goes.

Till lost on aerial rings
                In light, and then the fancy sings.

Just got back from a lovely weekend break,, from Stratford-Upon-Avon,,, saw two Shakespeare plays,,,, on a fantastic summers evening - Merry Wives of Windsor in Shakespeare's Elizabethan Garden.
                Then my favourite Shakespeare comedy,, 'Twelfth Night', in the Royal Shakspeare Theatre.

Next week,,, it is the Royal Festival Hall, to hear Alfred Brendel , playing , Schubert ,, Mozart, and Beethoven.
                Preview. http://www.hayward.org.uk/main/events/94966.html

------------------

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 06-19-2005).]

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

Just got back from a lovely weekend break,, from Stratford-Upon-Avon,,, saw two Shakespeare plays,,,, on a fantastic summers evening - Merry Wives of Windsor in Shakespeare's Elizabethan Garden.
                  Then my favourite Shakespeare comedy,, 'Twelfth Night', in the Royal Shakspeare Theatre.

Next week,,, it is the Royal Festival Hall, to hear Alfred Brendel , playing , Schubert ,, Mozart, and Beethoven.

There's a great Shakespeare Festival in Vancouver (just across the water) called Bard on the Beach,I saw Hamlet there many years ago.The Pacific ocean babbled through the whole thing.

I'm reading a great book by Vaughn-Williams
                  titled National Music and Other Essays where he discusses Folksong and the history of National music,it's facinating.This slim volume also contains his essay on Beethoven's 9th and not surprisingly he really liked the ending.

First day of summer today,enjoy!

regards,
                  space

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by Amalie:

That sounds great, don't think I can make it though - too many Council meetings. Am however listening to the classic Brendel/Fisher-Dieskau recording of Schubert's Winterreisse. Well its one way of cooling off on a ridiculously hot London day. Much more of this and I'll need a week of Sibelius or someone with whom I can properly chill

------------------
                    Beethoven the Man!
                    Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Eggert's String quartets:

opus 1/1 in C
                      opus 2/1 in B-flat
                      opus 2/2 in G minor
                      opus 2/3 in D

Great music!!

Hofrat
                      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

There's a great Shakespeare Festival in Vancouver (just across the water) called Bard on the Beach,I saw Hamlet there many years ago.The Pacific ocean babbled through the whole thing.

I'm reading a great book by Vaughn-Williams
                        titled National Music and Other Essays where he discusses Folksong and the history of National music,it's facinating.This slim volume also contains his essay on Beethoven's 9th and not surprisingly he really liked the ending.

First day of summer today,enjoy!

regards,
                        space

The Festival sounds interesting, I wouldn't mind going . I think it is the 'Tempest' that is largely set on a shoreline and inland area and so is Timon of Athens.
                        I can just imagine the Bard on a surfboard.

------------------

Comment

I attended a wonderful concert last night at the Royal Festival Hall, with the star of the show Maestro Alfred Brendel.
                          The occasion was the closure of the Hall for large scale refurbishment and the Maestro gave an enchanting performance of peices my Schumann, Schubert, Mozart and of course the big B.
                          It was in a sense a rather sad occasion in some respects because you could feel that he was in two minds about the whole thing - not the music that is - but the coming closure of the Hall where he had performed over 40 years and it doubtless held many strong memories for him. He gave two brilliant encores and the audience just simply would not let him go. And he seem reluctant to go anyway. A brilliant and poignant evening .
                          He really is just unbelievable to experience live.
                          The Royal Festival Hall will be open again in 2007. We can sense that this was his favourite venue.
                          God Bless Alfred.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 06-23-2005).]

Comment

The reconstructed second movement from Beethoven's lost oboe concerto on npr.org.
                            http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4485919

I just heard the newly discovered bach aria - its lovely, as are the oboe concerto excerpts.

I'm also previewing Beethoven variations, bagatelles and WoO works for piano - on amazon.com, deciding on a nice one to get. I've got two Beethoven boxes: Karajan's symphonies and Barenboim's piano sonatas. So i'm thinking of the DG Complete Beethoven Edition Vol 6: Piano Works. I don't have any of the works on there, so i think its wonderful value for me.

I also love the idea of the Misc. Chamber Works volume -
                            I composed some variations on a theme of yours... funny little tune, but it yielded some good things.

Comment

Gorecki's 3rd Symphony (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs), Mahler's 6th Symphony, and Schumann's Manfred Overture are among my most recent listenings. The Gorecki reminds me a lot of Hovanness (sorry about the spelling, there).

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                                Gorecki's 3rd Symphony (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs), Mahler's 6th Symphony, and Schumann's Manfred Overture are among my most recent listenings. The Gorecki reminds me a lot of Hovanness (sorry about the spelling, there).
                                Goodness you're going to need some cheering up after that! Actually I think the Mahler 6 is his best symphony - the 1st movt is the closest he came to perfect classical sonata form. The slow movement I find even more beautiful than that of the 5th or 4th.

Today I've been listening to Schnabel, Lill and Brendel play Op.109 - they all take that opening theme of the finale too slow I think - Beethoven marked it Andante but they play Adagio, even Lento!

------------------
                                'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 06-28-2005).]
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X