What are you listening to right now ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amalie:

Does it have a good section on French baroque, Lully and Rameau, Charpontier, etc.
    Of course Gurn is right ,I didn't give the whole title .Coopers "French Music was published in 1951 so I gather that "Antique"
    music was not the huge rage that it has become today.
    But as you were listening to Faure I'd wondered if you had followed the adventures of this and other French composers of the ,what did Gurny call it the Classico/Romantic boundary?What a way with words the man has!

Martin Cooper is deliciously wicked about English tastes for French music, and can be quite searing to the French as well.
    Entertaining reading in any case.
    Space
    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Tonight it's the symphonies of Leopold Mozart. There no Wolfgang works but they are rather pleasant works.

Comment

A stunning recording of the Mozart Great C Minor Mass with solists including the late great Arleen Auger and performed by Christopher Hogwood and the Academy of Ancient Music. Not that this feels in any way ancient - it knocks the socks off most modern pieces I've heard lately and brought all the customers in the classical section at HMV to a halt when it was played today - practically evryone there, including me, bought a copy of it. Rock on Wolfgang......

------------------
        Beethoven the Man!

[This message has been edited by JA Gardiner (edited 05-29-2005).]
        Beethoven the Man!

Comment

Yes, the Mozarts are exceptional, of course. (Go, go, go! ) For now, however, I'll do just fine with:
          Bruckner ~ Symphonies III & IV
          (original versions; 1873, 1874)
          PS.Congrats to Gardiner for that stunning Mozart record!DS.

Comment

Im currently listening to Beethoven's Appasionata Op.57 Sonata 3rd Movement Allegro non troppo. I cud listen to it all day. in fact, iv been learning how to play it 2 days ago...such a genius work.

Comment

- Liszt's Transcriptions of Beethoven's 5th symphony. (Thanks for the recommendations in my thread guys!)

Comment

Right now I am listening to Radio 3,

Beethoven Symphony no.7
                conducted by Carlos Kleiber
                Vienna Philhamonic Orchestra .

A brilliant sympathetic perfomance
                full of nuances that are not really brought out with other conductors. Very moving and powerful !

Beethoven evening listening continues with -
                Piano sonatas Opps. 109, 110, 111.
                Alfred Brendel.

Bagatelles, Oli Mustonon.

String quartet 0p. 131
                Hungarian Quartet.

------------------

~ Courage, so it be righteous, will gain all things ~

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 06-05-2005).]

Comment

Elgar's Symphony no. 1 in A-Flat. I find the key very unusual for a symphony. Only caught the first movement and will hear the rest later.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                    Elgar's Symphony no. 1 in A-Flat. I find the key very unusual for a symphony. Only caught the first movement and will hear the rest later.
                    It is unusual though there are movements in classical symphonies such as the 2nd in Beethoven's 5th in this key.

I particularly enjoy the finale of the Elgar - the great Wagner conductor Hans Richter regarded the slow movement of this work as the greatest since Beethoven!

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                      It is unusual though there are movements in classical symphonies such as the 2nd in Beethoven's 5th in this key.

I particularly enjoy the finale of the Elgar - the great Wagner conductor Hans Richter regarded the slow movement of this work as the greatest since Beethoven!

Now you've gotten me excited to hear the rest of the symphony. If I didn't have to go to work soon I'd listen to that right now!

Comment

Listening to the Grosse Fuge (arr. Beethoven piano duet ) 0p.134.
                        Jorg Demus + Norman Shelter.

------------------

Comment

I have been listening to "Don Carlos" by Verdi
                          under the conduct of Claudio Abbado
                          - my favourite Verdi opera. Too bad that this superb work never has become so popular like La Traviata, ... Just awsesome the orchestration
                          and the sublime melodies in this work!
                          I have put the most beautiful parts (about 80 minutes) on my MP3 player and listen to it when taking the train to work.
                          Also Tschaikowsky's appassionate and breathtaking Manfred symphony I listened to this way in these days...

Comment

i am listening to the truely sublime "creation" by haydn

Comment

We are having a bit of a Beethoven Festival here in June as well. Tomorrow night will be Beethoven's 8th and 9th Symphony performed by the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra. For the last few months the Minneapolis Orchestra has been performing a Beethoven work. They're having quite a festival up there!

------------------
                              'Truth and beauty joined'
                              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Listening to this morning's BBC Radio 3 Beethoven experience play list. For wonderful experience, explore more !
                                The Beethoven marathon has been a wonderful opportunity for me to listen to the Maestro's lesser known works .
                                http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/beethove...nce/pip/cu6ii/

------------------

[This message has been edited by Amalie (edited 06-10-2005).]

Comment

Working...
                                X